Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steel fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
Has anyone used steel fuel lines down the tunnel to replace the stock plastic?
Demick
Yep. Common thing to do. Gives peace of mind - and is a good thing to do especially if you move the fuel pump to the front (thereby pressurizing the supply line through the tunnel).

Demick
smontanaro
Also common for 6's? Same idea, just no return line?

Skip
Trekkor
I would say steel lines is the most common upgrade over plastic.

I used braided SS line, however.

KT
Mueller
nope, according to the search function, it's never, ever been done before biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Replacing fuel lines with steel lines, by Clay
toon1
I was looking for that post thanks, he used stainless, is regular steel ok?
Mueller
QUOTE (toon1 @ Nov 26 2005, 02:27 PM)
I was looking for that post thanks, he used stainless, is regular steel ok?

depends on your definition of "regular".....I'd use steel fuel line, not something found at the hardware store.

Summit Racing has steel fuel line is various sizes. If you don't buy from them, at least order a catalog.
scotty b
A member here started making kits. Don't know the status right now though sad.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...54&hl=fuel+line

I have also bought pre made kits for Jeep CJ's from Inline Tubing and they make an EXCELLENT product. (not for Porches though) BUT They also sell lengths of line and all fittings necessary to make your own. They even sell the "spring wrap" used in OEM applications

http://www.inlinetube.com/straight.htm

Home page link

http://www.inlinetube.com/
zymurgist
I used mild steel brake lines in 5/16" for feed and return. 60" down the tunnel and 48" in the engine compartment. I cut the flared ends off at the tank and engine ends, but left the other flares in place and connected the lines via brass fittings at the firewall.
toon1
How long have the lines been in the car with that setup?
brant
QUOTE (smontanaro @ Nov 26 2005, 02:07 PM)
Also common for 6's? Same idea, just no return line?

Skip

I know I've said this enough to bore everyone...
but return lines make cooler fuel and potentially more HP in CARB'd cars!

(at the very least they can help with vapor lock issues.)
smontanaro
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 28 2005, 06:05 PM)

I know I've said this enough to bore everyone...
but return lines make cooler fuel and potentially more HP in CARB'd cars!

How's that setup? You're dealing with a pretty much novice
here. I've never heard of a carbureted car with a return
line.
sean_v8_914
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_fuelline...f7071cbbf310d4d
I just did this with brake lines from NAPA. $3.49 ea
maxwelj
My original 6 has a return line as well as the supply line. It came that way. I just replaced both lines with Napa 5/16 and 3/8 respectively.
ottox914
I bounced over to the tech write up, looks easy enough with the engine out, could this be done with the engine IN ? How painful would that be to do? Anyone done it and have any tips to share?
zymurgist
QUOTE (toon1 @ Nov 28 2005, 06:42 PM)
How long have the lines been in the car with that setup?

A couple of months. I'm still putting the car back together. (Originally the engine/tranny came out for a clutch job, and I came down with a case of DWD.)
zymurgist
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Nov 29 2005, 09:44 AM)
I bounced over to the tech write up, looks easy enough with the engine out, could this be done with the engine IN ? How painful would that be to do? Anyone done it and have any tips to share?

I think if you want to replace the lines with the engine in, you'll want to use a coil of aluminum tubing and just uncoil it as you thread it into the tunnel. Somebody on the board (tat2dphreak, maybe?) used aluminum, but I don't know whether the engine was in at the time.
ottox914
Trekkor- where did you get your braided SS lines, was it $$$, (I'd think so) did you run them in the factory location, how'd the project go? More details, please! Photos?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.