Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Modification for Oil Line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
Hey.

I was putting holes in the car to route my oil lines today. I'm a little concerned about the bend radius at the location where the oil line crosses from under the rocker through the longitudnal and into the cockpit. After looking at it for a few minutes it occured to me that I could either cut or reshape the end of the long into a shape that roughly follows the blue line on the digipic and tapers to almost nothing at the end of the long. That would give me a much better bend radius and maybe avoid having to put fittings in the hoses to make the turn. I am running -12 and -16 lines. The -12 looks pretty marginal so I'm assuming the -16 isn't going to make the turn at all.

Anybody done this or have any input?

Later,
Kevin
Aaron Cox
BTDT with -10....

my tub entry is a bit wider, so it can be a longer, smoother bend....
jeff
Where in so -cal are u? close to thousand oaks?
kdfoust
QUOTE (jeff @ Nov 26 2005, 05:33 PM)
Where in so -cal are u? close to thousand oaks?

No. I'm in South OC.

Later,
Kevin
kdfoust
Let ask this a different way. What's this piece of sheetmetal for?
Aaron Cox
its just a sill support. i eliminated the one on the otherside, and welded in a new brace i made
user posted image
736conver
What about putting a fitting to made the turn. Kevin I have two -16 fittings one is a male to male 90 degree and the other is a 145 degree male to male.
If these could help you shoot me a pm or email and they are yours.
kdfoust
QUOTE (736conver @ Nov 27 2005, 02:58 PM)
What about putting a fitting to made the turn.  Kevin I have two -16 fittings one is a  male to male 90 degree and the other is a 145 degree male to male.
If these could help you shoot me a pm or email and they are yours.

Hey Brian:

Thanks for the offer of the fittings! Unfortunately, I've got a bunch of fittings sitting around here. So many that I expect to get a Christmas card from Earl's this year. biggrin.gif

I'm trying to totally weasel out of using fittings to get around that corner. Worst case I'll put in a -16 90 to get around there and let the -12 make the bend. After looking at it some more I think the -12 will get around okay with a minor bit of cutting.

Later,
Kevin
kdfoust
Now I really have to know what that thing is. I'm not buying that its a door sill support. This is a sill support...
kdfoust
This on the other hand looks awfully fancy to be just a sill support... I've already cut the sill support away that was on the end of the long.
John
To the best of my memory, that is just an empty box. I believe I have seen them removed showing that they are empty, but I don't have any pics backing this up.

If you remove the box, you should just see the outer long. I agree in thinking that it is a support for the sill.

I'm planning on running my oil lines INSIDE my longs. (no heat)
Brando
user posted image
Those are the holes I will be using when running my oel lines front to rear. Maybe open them up if needed.
kdfoust
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Nov 27 2005, 06:51 PM)
To the best of my memory, that is just an empty box. I believe I have seen them removed showing that they are empty, but I don't have any pics backing this up.

If you remove the box, you should just see the outer long. I agree in thinking that it is a support for the sill.

I'm planning on running my oil lines INSIDE my longs. (no heat)

Yeah, I drilled a hole in it to have a look. It is hollow. It just seems like an awful lot to go through for a sill support compared to the other supports which makes me wonder if something a little more interesting is going here - like some structural.

Kevin
Aaron Cox
and whats funny is, the left and right arent the same.

the one you are playing with is already "bent" for factory oil lines, and the other side is a straight hollow box.

structure? probably just jelps the pivot for the door strong....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.