Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate wiring!!!!!!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, i just got finished putting my new wiring harness in, and i'm not getting power back to the relay board dry.gif ..... it's a 74 harness in a 75.... is the ignition switch different, and need to be changed?? headbang.gif..... also something else that i though my be a problem, is the seat interlock system. the wires were all pulled out of the relays, and now are all loose, some cut.... and the two yellow wires connected. do any of the other wires controll anything??? i need help!!! please!! unsure.gif Thanks in advance! locust.gif
scotty b
Did you use a Porsche harness or a VW harness?? poke.gif Seatbelt interlock killswitcharoo thingy ma bob needs to be hooked up or jumped.
grasshopper
QUOTE (scotty b @ Nov 26 2005, 05:49 PM)
Did you use a Porsche harness or a VW harness?? poke.gif Seatbelt interlock killswitcharoo thingy ma bob needs to be hooked up or jumped.

it came out of a 74 914..... so everything this guy cut needs to be reconnected??? mad.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Nov 26 2005, 06:51 PM)
Did you use a Porsche harness or a VW harness?? poke.gif  Seatbelt  interlock killswitcharoo thingy ma bob needs to be hooked up or jumped.

it came out of a 74 914..... so everything this guy cut needs to be reconnected??? mad.gif

or bypassed....
grasshopper
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 26 2005, 05:52 PM)
Did you use a Porsche harness or a VW harness?? poke.gif  Seatbelt  interlock killswitcharoo thingy ma bob needs to be hooked up or jumped.

or bypassed....

what other wires need to be connected other than the two yellow???
SirAndy
so everything this guy cut needs to be reconnected???

you went through all the trouble of installing a new main harness and it was already cut in pieces ??? screwy.gif

or am i reading your post wrong? confused24.gif

as for the switch etc., yes, you should always get the steering column/switch that goes with the main harness.
same goes for the switches on the dash, unless you're 100% sure they are the same (!) ...

my new '74 main harness did not have any of the seatbelt interlock crap-o-la ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
grasshopper
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 26 2005, 06:04 PM)
so everything this guy cut needs to be reconnected???

you went through all the trouble of installing a new main harness and it was already cut in pieces ??? screwy.gif

no, that is the only part, in which about five wires have the connectors cut off the ends, and some have just been pulled out, but still have the connectors..... my other 74 has the seat interlock "crap-o-la wink.gif )....but should all that be reconnected??? its not a prob, i just wanted to know...
r_towle
seems in our investigation of the seat belt relay wiring logic...there is only a need for the two large yellow wires to be connected/jumped...

Start at the beginning of the circuit.
At the ignition switch...do you have power going to the switch?

If so, in the run position do you have power still going to the switch, and then leaving the switch?

Follow the power to find where it it stopped or shorted.

I bet your ignition switch may be to blame...probably some differences in that switch...

Rich
grasshopper
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 26 2005, 06:09 PM)
seems in our investigation of the seat belt relay wiring logic...there is only a need for the two large yellow wires to be connected/jumped...

Start at the beginning of the circuit.
At the ignition switch...do you have power going to the switch?

If so, in the run position do you have power still going to the switch, and then leaving the switch?

Follow the power to find where it it stopped or shorted.

I bet your ignition switch may be to blame...probably some differences in that switch...

Rich

now thats the kind of answer i was looking for!! smile.gif my dad was suspicious of the switch, but wasn't sure. i have a 74 laying around, so i'll switch them out, and see if it fixes anything...
scotty b
RUN GRASSHOPPER ! Run rika da win. Switch da switch and git back too us soon. Haigh! ninja.gif ph34r.gif
r_towle
learn how to test the circuit before you replace any more parts....

This is a great time to learn this...

Take a multi meter and set it for DC voltage...

attach battery.

Connect black lead to a good ground.

Using a sewing needle...puncture the insulation on the ignition feed wire...(I forget the color) make sure to have the needle touch the wire inside the insulation and make SURE it does not touch anything else....like a ground source...
Now touch your red lead on the meter to the needle...you should see 12 volts....more or less depending upon battery voltage (dont worry about it if its close)

Now...do this to all the large ignition wires...you should see voltage on only one wire with the key in the off position...

Now, turn the key on....test again... you should see power coming out of the switch...

You can go one more...turn the key to start...you should see power on the large wire that is connected to the starter and the seatbelt relay...

Follow the power with the same technique...make sure you are gentle to the thirty year old wiring.

Try to remember a couple of things.

Always have the meter set to 12 volts DC.
Always have the black and red in the correct slots on the meter....check the meter with the ohms settings to make sure it still works, the fuse is not blown on the meter and you have a good battery in there.

Always make sure that when you are using pins that they cannot touch ground...

Good luck.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.