Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toys for Tots breakfast run 12/11
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Last year we had a great time, a lot of cars and a whole bunch of toys for the kids. How about we do it again on Sunday the 11th? This year we could meet at Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City and making it a little shorter for the participants from the north part of the state.

PM or email me if your interested and can participate.

Here is a picture of the crew last year.
Flat VW
A little tougher on the Tuscon boys and girls, but if it means more beauty sleep for Ernie, well worth the sacrafice, in my estimation. bootyshake.gif

With some luck, perhaps Shaggy (Jim) and Tettster (Teddy) will be able to attend this year in the '72 car. smile.gif

I was up to the Rock Springs Cafe recently and the Miata club was there.

The only reason I did not get in a rumble with them, on that very spot, at that very moment, was that I was severely outnumbered. pirate.gif

I did have Laurie along, but she is a lover, not a fighter. smlove2.gif

It was comforting for me to know that, had they jumped us, at least there would be retaliation. chair.gif crest.gif

A rough lookin' crowd that ricey bunch....., and a bunch of ugly broads withim' too. yikes.gif icon8.gif

John

P.S. It was not until I looked a little closer at the photo above, that I realized someone had donated a puppy!

gregrobbins
Not a toy or a gift:

P.S. It was not until I looked a little closer at the photo above, that I realized someone had donated a puppy!

That was the Designated Driver. ohmy.gif
MoveQik
I think I should be in for this. So far the calendar looks clear! driving.gif
gregrobbins
Thanks Mike, this means we are up to six cars, assuming Shaggy gets the '72 up and running.
shaggy
should be running on the 4th

new oil filter assembly
front sway bar
new steering wheel
adjusted valves
new fuel filter

and well cleaned

engine putting back in party/18th birthday party, all welcome!

-shag
MoveQik
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
ThinAir
Looks like I'll be able to be there. The Honda gets to stay home this year - the 914 is running just fine!
gregrobbins
All Right! We are up to eight cars committed. Earnie, will you get Mike to join us? I am sure his bug can make Black Canyon City.
ThinAir
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Nov 29 2005, 11:27 PM)
All Right! We are up to eight cars committed. Ernie, will you get Mike to join us? I am sure his bug can make Black Canyon City.

I suspect he'll be there. I asked him, but didn't get a definite yes yet. The bug will definitely make it!
MoveQik
What do we bring to this? Any toy? Are there special requests?
gregrobbins
Only requirement the Marines have is that the toy be in a package, never opened. No stuffed toys unless in sealed package and don't open electronic toys to insert batteries.
nomore9one4
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Nov 26 2005, 07:54 PM)
Last year we had a great time, a lot of cars and a whole bunch of toys for the kids. How about we do it again on Sunday the 11th? This year we could meet at Rock Springs Cafe in Black Canyon City and making it a little shorter for the participants from the north part of the state.

PM or email me if your interested and can participate.

Here is a picture of the crew last year.

clap.gif You guys kick ass!! clap.gif
shaggy
if the toy requires batteries should they be included (i.e. taped to the package itself)?

toy is not to be wrapped correct?

if anyone in az could make it to the engine install and my 18th b-day party that would be great!!

we have the 1.7 out and have to put it back in on sunday (its been out fro nearing 2 months sad.gif )

icon13.gif this is the first time we have dropped an engine and we could use a little help getting it back in! icon13.gif

-jim
Flat VW
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Nov 30 2005, 06:54 AM)
What do we bring to this?  Any toy?  Are there special requests?

Yes, Mike,

Programmable Electronic Fuel Injection would fulfill at least one request I know of. idea.gif

John wavey.gif

P.S. cute "little boy", by the way.
gregrobbins
Correct Jim, unwrapped. If batteries are needed they should be taped to the outside.
Flat VW
Bump, for "teener fellow" I met today, James.

Hoping he comes along this Sunday with his son.

John wavey.gif
gregrobbins
Everybody bring lots of toys. Shaffer is driving his SUV as his 914 is still in about 1,000,000 pieces.

Anyone else to add to the head count? I will call the Rock Springs Cafe Thursday to have them set aside some room for us.
MoveQik
Thanks for putting this togetehr Greg. I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new folks. beerchug.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Dec 5 2005, 05:27 PM)
Thanks for putting this togetehr Greg.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new folks. beerchug.gif

This James fellow was saying he has met a teener guy in Scottsdale, with a yellow car that vends real estate....

That has gotta be YOU, Mike.

John

MoveQik
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Dec 5 2005, 06:20 PM)
Thanks for putting this togetehr Greg.  I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new folks. beerchug.gif

This James fellow was saying he has met a teener guy in Scottsdale, with a yellow car that vends real estate....

John

I would think so. James who? What car does he have?
Flat VW
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Dec 5 2005, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Dec 5 2005, 06:20 PM)

John

I would think so. James who? What car does he have?

I expect he will post here, he is registered here he told me.

John
MoveQik
Just a little icon_bump.gif and a request for more info.

For some reason I thought we were meeting at 10:00am. Is that correct? If not, what time?

Anyone want to meet up before I-17 and cruise up there together? I'll be coming from the 101 and Cactus in Scottsdale.

driving.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Dec 9 2005, 01:42 PM)
Anyone want to meet up before I-17 and cruise up there together?  I'll be coming from the 101 and Cactus in Scottsdale.

driving.gif

Sure Mike, let's "synchronize watches" once Greg offers details. MDB2.gif

John

P.S. I will be "up" for a drive after breakfast Sunday if you, and, or, others are interested.

I have a pal who is a carb tuner whiz coming over tomorrow afternoon, so I am hoping to be quite "dialed in" for Sunday. biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
How about a meeting at the Starbucks at 32nd and Bell Road. Meet up between 8:30 and 8:45. Leave from there at 9:00. Take Cave Creek Road to the Carefree Highway. Carefree Hwy west to Seventh Street. Up the twisty road through New River to I-10. I-10 North to the Rock Springs Cafe. Plan on getting there @ 10:00. Reservation is in my name.

For those interested, Rock Spring was a stagecoach stop in the days of Wild West.
ThinAir
I'll see you all at 10:00 a.m. I'd like to meet up and drive that twisty road through New River, but I'd have to go past Rock Springs and then come back. I have to go to Anthem after breakfast so maybe it would work for that? I don't know the road, but anything twisty sounds fun. See ya there!
Flat VW
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 9 2005, 04:47 PM)
How about a meeting at the Starbucks at 32nd and Bell Road. Meet up between 8:30 and 8:45.

Mike, Greg, et al, see you at "four bucks" Sunday morning.

John mueba.gif
MoveQik
I'll be at Starbucks between 8:30 and 8:45.

John - you had better get those carbs dialed in if you plan to keep up with my 78HP muscle machine! driving.gif burnout.gif
gregrobbins
Well, I'll need a cup of Joe that time of day, so I will probably get there about 8:15. It often takes longer to get a cup of "hot" black coffee at Starbucks than one of their brews.

Welcome to join up!
gregrobbins
Who is going to show up at Starbucks? driving.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 10 2005, 06:45 AM)
Who is going to show up at Starbucks? driving.gif

I'll be there. Assume the smiley is drinking coffee... beer3.gif
gregrobbins
John - you had better get those carbs dialed in if you plan to keep up with my 78HP muscle machine!

Mike, speed limit adherence is recommended on this drive. I don't want John feeling bad that you whipped his RAT 2270 with your stock 1.8L.
ThinAir
I'm planning to be at 7th Street and Carefree Hwy by 9:15 so I can hook up with you guys when you come by. If I'm running late I'll pass on it and go straight to Rock Springs, but look for a yellow 914 on the corner when you get there and stop if you see it 'cuz it will be me. If not, just keep on going and I'll meet you at Rock Springs. I've never been "through" New River this way so it looks like something fun to do if I can (normally I'm just zipping by on I-17).
MoveQik
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 10 2005, 09:48 AM)
John - you had better get those carbs dialed in if you plan to keep up with my 78HP muscle machine!

Mike, speed limit adherence is recommended on this drive. I don't want John feeling bad that you whipped his RAT 2270 with your stock 1.8L.

Oh, I know about his big bad RAT. I say RAT schmat....my car is yellow. He doesn't stand a chance. wink.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Dec 10 2005, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Dec 10 2005, 09:48 AM)

Oh, I know about his big bad RAT. I say RAT schmat....my car is yellow. He doesn't stand a chance. wink.gif

Oh ya, yellow.

Here is another special yellow car: Ol Yellar II
Flat VW
I've got fresh oil and new filter, my valves are re-lashed and my carbs are synced and tuned. piratenanner.gif

My pal Doug is something else with those Webers, he tunes by ear. pray.gif

We also installed a Pertronix unit today, (thanks AArron I like my crow, baked, by the way).

The car is running smoooooth and quick. burnout.gif

A fast bath for the car in the morning, (I am gonna have mine tonight, Saturday after all...) and I will then meet you fellas for coffee. beer3.gif

Jim is not gonna make it though, he is not feeling well, Ted too, and they both have final exams next week so there is much studying to be done around here.

A bit of a bummer after all the work he had to do on the car, but he is really glad to just be driving it once again.

John wavey.gif

P.S. I respect the yellow.
Flat VW
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Nov 29 2005, 10:27 PM)
All Right! We are up to eight cars committed. Earnie, will you get Mike to join us? I am sure his bug can make Black Canyon City.

I will have an empty seat tomorrow, Mike can ride with me if he dares. screwy.gif

I do not have a phone number for him.

If someone could PM me with it I will call and invite him and buy him breakfast too.

I even have a toy here for him to donate or play with, as he wishes.

John driving.gif
ThinAir
I talked with Mike about an hour ago. He was on his way out to pick up a toy. I don't know for sure if he's planning to meet up with the gang at Starbucks, but I think so. I'm sure the offer of a ride is appreciated, but the bug will do fine! (Of course I really shouldn't speak for him!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.