Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heating air deflectors....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
OK...so I have everything together and i'm enjoying some gud wurm heat...

now its not so fast flowing...

my air deflector thingies keep coming unhooked...at the point where the part attaches to the HE..its like its too short or something....

um...do i need to attach a picture?

b
Allan
Which part is it exactly? The flex tube that goes from the flapper valve to the body or where the flapper attaches to the H/E?
Aaron Cox
no really delflectors....

id call the guides. they go from the cooling fan, out the aluminum front shroud, and into these ducts to the heat exchangers.

are all the cheesehead screws present? do you have the gasket dooda's that connect the guides to the front fan shroud?
r_towle
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 26 2005, 11:03 PM)

id call the guides. they go from the cooling fan, out the aluminum front shroud, and into these ducts to the heat exchangers.

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

You lost me....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 26 2005, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 26 2005, 11:03 PM)

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

You lost me....

is he talking about the engine fan? or the small one in the engine bay?

i thought he was speaking of the S shaped duct from the HE to the cooling fan.

he could be taking about the J shaped tube that comes from the HE through the engine tin to the auxillary blower
bd1308
ok ok ok..

hold on...lemme whip out The GIMP....

brb
bd1308
oh shit...i really suck at this laugh.gif chairfall.gif

the red unmarked arrows mark the S shaped parts I am referring to.

b
r_towle
ok..
There is a clamp where that part connects to the Heat exchanger...it goes all the way around and it will clamp the two together...they are a butt joint there.

On the other end they are connected to the fan shroud with two cheese head screws that hold a small cap in place on top of the connection...

If they are falling off where they meet the heat exchanger...and you have the clamp...you need to line them up better...if you dont have the clamp...either get one or use tin (flashing) to wrap around that joint and rivet it together...

It has worked for me in the past.

Rich
bd1308
well rich, i have the clamp....but could it be NOT for my car or something?

i tried for about an hour to get it to fit...and i know the passenger side is popped off and i think the driver side popped off too..

could i put the flashing underneath the clamp, to make a sandwich between the deflector and the HE contact surface area larger?

b
bd1308
and if i do wrap the two objects together, do i wrap them like a cast (around and around) or wrap them like a french cuff?

b
r_towle
could be from a different car..or different exchangers...

I used tin, wrap it around and rivet it to both sides...

Try taking it off, do it on the bench..

Make an extension to it so it will fit over the HE...

I have used aluminum tape with limited success...

It lasts for a while, but eventually melts....it work for one season...

I finally got all the right parts now...

But...the aluminum tape is a home depot item for duct work...it is metal tape...not duct tape...it is actual metal...

You need to clean everything really good for the tape...

I found the tin was better in the long run...

Rich
sixnotfour
Here is a pet pic

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ndpost&p=317177

Allan
Make sure you have them on the correct side. One side is bigger than the other where they connect to the fan housing.
sean_v8_914
I have some really good pics of this but they are bit maps. anyone want to convert them and post them here?
bd1308
email them if you can

britt@reactornet.net

b
type47
useful info from AA site
rhodyguy
break into the duck tape stash. they're ducts. it's tape. perfect match.

k
bd1308
you mean foil tape?

i am going to do that today.....

b
rhodyguy
NO. JOKE. there should be no need for any tape, of any kind. the right side he feeds heat and defrost for the passenger side of the car, and vise versa. so, deminished flow on one side indicates which side is not functioning properly. question time... are both clamps, on the branch pieces (#s 19 and 22) on each side installed? are both valves fully functional? if you are using your aux fan, what is the condition of the plastic tubing? is the tubing clamped good and tight?

k
bd1308
the deflectors are intact...the little clamp pieces are too small, even though everything fits perfectly. Everything is in correctly...100% sure. I tried flipping the pieces around and over and it just doesnt work...this works but its too finicky. the valves are fine...i took a ball peen hammer to the deflector last night and i thought my skin was going to melt off....that heat is plenty warm. the fan is there, but jerry-rigged. it works though.

b
rhodyguy
is there lesser flow on one side of the windshield defrost vents? what is the condition of the paper ducting visible under the cowl? are the dash controls set properly? disconnect one of the flex tubes connecting the heat control valves to the body. with the valve open and the engine running, the air should be pouring out. the 2 clamps, #s 20 & 21 are slightly dif. they should fit properly, fastened on both sides. if anything, they may be a bit loose due to the gasket which is usually deteriorated.
k
SLITS
Alzo, if you have SS HE's, they fit like shit...my experience with two sets of SS HE's.
bd1308
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Nov 27 2005, 11:30 AM)
is there lesser flow on one side of the windshield defrost vents? what is the condition of the paper ducting visible under the cowl? are the dash controls set properly? disconnect one of the flex tubes connecting the heat control valves to the body. with the valve open and the engine running, the air should be pouring out. the 2 clamps, #s 20 & 21 are slightly dif. they should fit properly, fastened on both sides. if anything, they may be a bit loose due to the gasket which is usually deteriorated.
k

both sides have this syndrome.....

the hammer popped everything in there for my late night drive last night.....

i dont really want to do major work....

everything looks right in teh pic as in my car. i dont have the dual output fan, just a freebie single-output fan. i used a piece of flex-tubing to hook it to the (as much as you dont like me calling it this wink.gif ) J tube.

the dash controls are fine. i continue to have problems fixing the center one, as nobody ever answers my question as to where that center cable goes to....but everything else is fine. gaskets? I dont have gaskets.....

i'll probably end up taping it up this season, and then welding an extension to the S shaped pipe this summer...its like a centimeter too small...not a big margin here.

b
rhodyguy
are you still using bailing wire for the valves? i don't know what else to suggest. good luck. wear gloves and a touqe.

k
bd1308
I appreciate your help anyway kevin.....maybe i can just form that deflector a bit next season to create a better seating between these two parts.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.