Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cig lighter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay....was there a cigar lighter in the 914 or what?

the radius of the 914 hole is much bigger than ANY OTHER car I have access to....

so when i need to plug in my phone charger, i have to stick some duct tape, cat hair, lint, or part of my non-foil alien hat into the empty spaces in the cig lighter outlet so my phone gets a constant stream of power.....

was this a PO added feature.....or can i get around carrying extra cat hair in my pocket?

b
mightyohm
Unless yours has been modified, yes, there is a cigarette lighter in the dash of the 914. I have not had too many problems with it although in general you have to expect some sloppiness and fiddling with any plug that goes into a cigarette lighter socket. I don't think the diameter and spacing of contacts in those connectors is very well standardized if at all.
scruz914
The diameter of lighter sockets in some newer year German (and maybe other European) cars is larger than US cars. There are plastic "filler" adapters that fill the space and tighten the fit of the plug. The adapters are usually included with the plug that comes with whatever electronic gadget you have. I don't know if the difference in diameter is true with our 914s. I have not had the need to plug anything into the lighter socket yet. You should be able to get an adapter from a cell phone store or a friend with a US car and and a new cell phone.

-Jeff
olav

Aparently the European cigarette lighter sockets are bigger that N. American ones especially around the year the 914's were made.

So, keep carrying the cat hair.
bd1308
dang.

actually i found that duct tape worked okay...
good post Jeff...i'll check it out.

b
rhodyguy
to the left of the cig recepticle there is a hole covered by the dash face vinyl. you could probably get a correctly sized unit for your phone. poke with your finger and you can feel where the hole is.

k
bd1308
i already have something in that hole.

its a switch....

b
rhodyguy
i guess you're sol then. duck tape is cheap. err, that would be peep. what does that "switch" provide power to? there is another hole to the right of the cig lighter too.

k
bd1308
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Nov 27 2005, 09:43 AM)
i guess you're sol then. duck tape is cheap. err, that would be peep. what does that "switch" provide power to? there is another hole to the right of the cig lighter too.

k

kevin, i dont remember those holes being large enough to fit any useful-sized lighter.

i think the adaptors are the way to go, the cell phone is all I have that needs chargin'

thanks though.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.