Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: porsche dealership experiences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay, we have a porsche dealership in town...next to the land rover dealership.

if i took my 914 over there, honestly what do you think would happen, and what parts and service could i expect from the dealership with the 914?

something i've always wondered.

b
Allan
Parts are going to be limited and very expensive ($29.00 for a single 10mm valve adjuster screw). Chances are the mechanics will not be familiar with the car. I have talked to a couple of the guys that work in our local dealership and they were all pretty much trained on the newer cars.

Right after I got mine I started asking around town for referrals for an experienced type 4 shop and found 2 guys who are very familiar with our cars. If you have any local bug shops or clubs they can be helpful.
swl
If they are anything like the dealerships in my neck of the woods the service manager would probably ask you to have it disenfected first.

There are still air cooled experts out there but I doubt you will find one at a porsche dealership. You might, but he probably doesn't get much work any more. 'Cept in his own garage after hours smile.gif
Brando
Expect next to nothing, and nothing. Most dealerships' policy is to not take anything older than 20 years. Here in Riverside the dealership will not touch anything older than 10-15 years, unless you can convince the service manager on the phone to do it. Some dealerships don't even have technicians trained on the older cars, just newer ones. Then again, some dealerships have guys who have been working there 30+ years, like Craig Wilcott at Walter's Porsche in Riverside.

They may give you the phone # of a nearby independant worth mentioning, which is also good.
scotty b
They will laugh at you, point to the sign that says " labot rate = $90.00 per hour " and ask if you still want them to look at it. That is assuming they don't say " I'm sorry sir we don't werk on anything that old " Only people I have encounterd werse than Porsche are the Jeguar dealership here. They are flat out THE biggest bunch o' pricks. What do you need done that you are uncomfortable with doing? You sem to have come a long way in a year.
scotty b
Scenario #2

"Well for starters son your radiator seems to be missing."

Um this car doesn't have a radiator sir

"that's what I'm telling you son, you need to put a new one in before it over heats"

No, these cars don't use a radiator sir

" well now that's just plain rediculous boy, sounds like to me this is some kind of Volkswagen. Their dealership is down the road on the left. Have a fine day"
meares
well, here in Atlanta we have 2 choices for dealerships....Jim Ellis and Hennessy...the guys at Jim Ellis are PRICKS!!!!!!!! finger.gif ....conversely, the guys at Hennessy asked me several times to bring my '14 in for an oil change or other stuff..."We'd love to see it/ work on it!"....... REALLY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!
bperry
I would NEVER step foot into a Porsche Dealership with a 914.
They are elitist snobs. I made the mistake of taking my 914 to
one 20 years ago and after many heated discussions and arguing
over parts costs (at the time they were 5X over Auto Atlanta),
and outrageous labor costs, (they did same things multiple times...)
they ended up cracking a head and I ended up having to tow
off the car to a better more qualified local Porsche shop.

For all you interested, that was Town North Porshe in
Dallas.

After that experience I will never ever use a Porsche Dealership
for any type of repair even on a newer car unless it was some
kind of warranty work.

BTW, I did learn some stuff after that experience. Things like
Parts, Service, and Sales are entirely separate businesses.
You are allowed to buy and bring in your own parts and they
have to use your parts and offer full warranty on the service
as long as the parts are genuine Porsche parts.

My advice, especially on a 914, learn how to do it your self.
If it is beyond your expertise or tool capability, find a local
shop from a referal from a trusted friend. And most important
make sure they've worked on 914s before.

If you don't do it yourself, be prepared to open your wallet
fairly wide though.

--- Bill
John
Here in Kansas City, the dealership sucks so bad that they ignored me when trying to buy parts for my 930. I couldn't get the parts manager to understand porsche part numbers over the phone, and when I went there in person, it was a fight just to get the parts manager to find the correct parts on micro-fiche. I had to point out my exact part numbers and basically read them to him.

Total waste of time.

I ended up ordering all my parts over the phone from Stoddards. I have always had excellent luck with them and they do understand Porsche part numbers (and obsolete part numbers).

I will never return to my local dealership.

Several of the local Porsche Club agree with me and they also mail order parts and get service at independant shops. Several times, groups of club members have discussed trying to get the dealership away from Aristocrat because the customer service is so bad.

Just a warning, if ever in Kansas City, beware of Aristocrat Motors.

my $0.02
Series9
I'm going to drive the RS over to the dealership to look at a Cayman.

We'll see what happens. cool.gif
bd1308
Joe i might too....

with my leather jacket for the added effect cool_shades.gif

b
Bleyseng
When I got my 914 10 years ago, I had no idea where to get parts. I drove to Barrier Porsche in Bellevue and the parts guys came out and looked my car over. "Way cool, nice car" is what they said.
I ordered some parts at a discount which they offered to help me out and gave me several catalogs they had laying around, Automotion, AA and even a PCA local mag.
I then went online and found the early BBS's that were online back then.

jd74914
Around here we've gotten a few things from Hoffman Porsche, and the people there were very helpful and the price was better than in the catalogs (Tweeks, Performance). That said, I think the guys at the local VW dealership are worse than the ones at Hoffman huh.gif
Bleyseng
Haha, the parts guys at Chaplin VW worked the parts counter at University Porsche/Audi 30 years ago. They love it when I stop by to order some obsure type 4 parts from VW for the 914. (engine flywheels shims)
As soon as the 914 is running I will take the one guy for a ride as promised.
Brando
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 27 2005, 09:25 AM)
When I got my 914 10 years ago, I had no idea where to get parts. I drove to Barrier Porsche in Bellevue and the parts guys came out and looked my car over. "Way cool, nice car" is what they said.

Two weeks ago when I took my boss over to Walter's to pickup a 993 just getting the "sliptronic" trans serviced we were hanging out with the parts and service guys, shooting the shit. Then one of the salespeople comes by.

Salesperson: "Hey Jay! I was about to call the police... There's some sort of turbo-wreck out there in the parking lot. It's all green and blue and red..."

Jay: "Oh, that's my aprentice Brandon's car." *points to me*

Salesperson: "Haha, i didn't recognize it without the VW emblem."

Me: "Hey, you keep talking like that I'll be sure to cause a turbo-wreck or 5 with all those nicely parked cars over there cool_shades.gif, and I won't be coming back."

Salesperson: *grin turns to frown, walks off*

lol2.gif

Or my favorite line: "That P-O-R-S-C-H-E 914 over there may look like crap, but it's only got 61k miles and has lasted exactly 30 years. You can't say that about any other car you have around here, now can you?"
biggrin.gif
olav

I go down to my local Porsche dealer to order parts and they cut me a pretty good deal when I ask them to "give me a break".

They like it when you come in and get parts for a 35 year old car. They can't believe they are still available.

As for work, fugetaboutit.
J P Stein
The smart dealers know that we are good PR for them.
30 year old bottom feeder Porsches still running around?
Ya can't buy that kinda PR. biggrin.gif
carr914
There is a Porsche dealership about 2 miles away from my house that I drive by every day, I usually just spit out the window. However Suncoast Porsche in Sarasota is great, most of the guys that work there have older Porches themselves and I've gotten quite a few deals there on parts.

T.C.
GWN7
I called the local dealership and asked for three different parts. I gave him the part numbers and he said nope to all three. I then asked what's the chance you have any parts starting with 914 in stock? His answer, not very likely. biggrin.gif

I have been inside my local dealers building twice. Once to get a key cut for the 924 and once to show the service representitave my V8 914 when I got home. Both times I have been treated as a possible future customer with respect. That may be because the dealership also sells Volkswagons too. wink.gif
bd1308
do they still cut keys?

i might ahve to go and get mine re-cut....
GWN7
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 27 2005, 05:52 PM)
do they still cut keys?

i might ahve to go and get mine re-cut....

If they have stock......
bd1308
so besides PCV valves, what else can i get from these people?
serge914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 27 2005, 05:59 PM)
so besides PCV valves, what else can i get from these people?

Maybe some oil filters.

My advice, dont go to a dealership for any car unless it is still on waranty.
GWN7
The magic 8 Ball says "a empty wallet"
bd1308
heh.

good point.

thanks guys.

b
rick 918-S
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 27 2005, 06:11 PM)
heh.

good point.

thanks guys.

b

Britt,

I say drive over there just to see the Cayman. Park as near to the show room as you can and see how long it takes for the salesmen to approch you. I think it would be an interesting social experiment. Oh ya and wear the leather!

Is there something you don't feel comfortable repairing?
gregrobbins
Interestingly enough, the local PCA region President is a big 914 fan. He has a total of eight Porsches (one nearly restored '73 2.0L). Whenever he needs a part for his car, he first calls Porsche North Scottsdale. While they have little to nothing in stock, they can look up the part. It turns out many are still available from Germany. He will get a price quote, then check other sources. He tells me that about 50% of the time he orders from the dealer as they often have the best price. They get parts shipemnts frequently from Germany, so the wait is not too bad. He got a new dash cap from them for under $200 as I recall.

I have had dealings with Porsche North Scottsdale for my duties with PAC and find them pleasent and helpful. Next time I need parts, I will be following Bruce's lead and give Dave in parts a call to see what is available.
bd1308
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Nov 27 2005, 09:20 PM)
Is there something you don't feel comfortable repairing?

confused24.gif

i wanna see if they have a solution to my S tube fitting problem.... lol2.gif

b
914Sixer
I won't go near the dealer in San Antonio. I order all my parts for a good discount from Hennessy Porsche in Roswell, GA. They treat me first class at all times. They take the time to help you and will order anything that is available. They even ordered the rear 914-6 GT rotors for me from Germany.
Katmanken
Had an interesting conversation with the service manager at one of the local Cincinnati VW dealers.....

He claimed that the local Porsche dealer sent the 914's to him for engine work because the engine WAS VW and used in the 411,412 and van. He also claimed tha he and one of the old mechanics knew type IV's problemsand solutions.

Might try the VW dealer for engine work...

Britt, post a pic if you can.... I know how hard it is to photo the bottom of a teener

Ken
type47
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 27 2005, 07:58 PM)

i wanna see if they have a solution to my S tube fitting problem.... lol2.gif

errrr......? joke or serious? if serious, explain "S" tube
bd1308
read the air deflector thread....

its all in there.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.