Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pressure gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Where is the proper place to mount this gauge in the engine compartment,, on the drivers side fuel rail?
jdogg
Yeah, what he said. Pictures anyone?????
ChrisReale
I think on the passenger side rail, you can connect it to the middle fuel ouput tit that is screwed off. On the drivers side, this is used to get fuel to the injectors
Brad Roberts
Ok. Pics.

Lighting sucks.. but what else is new ??

This is the drivers side fuel rail with the cold start injector hose.
Brad Roberts
This is the passenger side fuel rail with the "nipple" that I put a small piece of hose on with a liquid filled VDO fuel gauge (high pressure). Dont give me shit about these intake runners.. I slapped them on a engine for reference.

B
Brad Roberts
And one shot un-edited.

B
Brad Roberts
If you dont have the nipple rail... get one from a 1.7 injection setup (pirate one). All the Djet cars will have at least one on them.

B
jdogg
Brad -thanks for the pics..
Couple questions - in a previous thread you stated that unless needed, block off the cold start valve. Mine has been acting up, so I was going to do just that, so can I just tie the guage into the nipple on the driver's side fuel rail and expect accurate readings. Would any accuracy be gained with a different placement of the guage?
Dave_Darling
That is a perfect place for a gauge. The fuel pressure should be the same everywhere from the fuel pump to the fuel pressure regulator.

Screw using the right-side fuel rail!! If you use it, the hose from it to your gauge will rub on the MPS and MPS bracket. Fuel leaks suck rocks--guess how I know???

Just run it to the central take-off on the left-side fuel rail, the one that "should" hook up to the CSV. Unless you need the CSV, in which case you can build yourself a Tee out of brass plumbing supplies.

Pics, as I said yesterday, are here today. The hose is as long as it is because I disconnected it from the CSV to run to the gauge. I didn't bother with a separate piece of hose just for the gauge.

--DD
Brad Roberts
It comes down to how often you drive the car in really cold weather (cold start or no cold start) In our production race cars.. we strip everything out of the injection that may or may not cause a problem for us on the track.

I have not found any significant fuel pressure change from using one side or the other (I have used both sides)

B
ChrisReale
I see...In Seattle, I need the cold start valve, so I assumed you did too. unsure.gif
That said, I would use the passengers side rail, but it is a lot less crowded on the drivers side rail. aktion035.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 12 2003, 09:19 AM)
This is the passenger side fuel rail with the "nipple" that I put a small piece of hose on with a liquid filled VDO fuel gauge (high pressure). Dont give me shit about these intake runners.. I slapped them on a engine for reference.

B

Dude, whats up with those runners....oh nevermind :finger2:
jdogg
DD & Brad - thanks for the pics - I can see clearly now. Soooo, any high pressure, liquid filled guage will do?
Brad Roberts
Jdogg,

I see your in NC. You can use any of them that read up to 40lbs. I use ACCEL/VDO/MSD/Mallory. Whatever you can buy from the local hot rod shop.

Yeah.. thanks Chris. One less Christmas card to send out. LOL

These pics also point out why you should check your fuel injector rubber lines every once in while. I personally replace the cloth braided stuff on the injectors.

B
Dave_Darling
Once again--I think the passenger's side fuel rail (center fitting) is a bad idea for where to put the gauge. At least, on a D-jet car. The MPS and/or MPS bracket rubs on the fuel line, and starts to wear a hole in it. Fuel leaks == bad!

Get yourself a Tee. Buy it from somewhere or make it out of brass plumbing suplies. Put it in between the right side fuel rail and the left side fuel rail; there is a hose that goes across that you can cut for it. Or tee into the line running to the cold start valve. Whatever. But don't put the hose where it is going to get a hole chewed in it in a few thousand miles!

--DD
StratPlayer
Thanks for all the replys on this subject,, will be installed between the rails on the hose that connects the rails, BTW is a VDO gauge 0-100 psi with brass fitting for splicing into the hose. Going in to a D-Jet 2.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.