Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Motor Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Okay, my new Nippondenso mini starter showed up yesterday smilie_pokal.gif I was surprised how small it is. Looks like a motorcycle starter. Anyway 2 questions: 1. where did they hide that top bolt? I looked in the engine compartment with no luck. 2. My repair manual says to use VW D1a sealing compound b/t the tranny and the case of the starter. What is that and is it necessary? Thanks, Eddy
SLITS
Sealant no need............

As far as the top bolts....there was a recent thread w/ pictures....it's not that hard to find (the thread or the bolts).
bd1308
1) its behind everything...at the driver-side back of the engine, right near the rear tin...you'll see a nut and a bolt there...thats the starter bolt. it like threads through the engine...

2) ???
rhodyguy
it's close.

k
SLITS
I found the fuchin bolt
KaptKaos
My car has a stock 1.7. I removed the air filter and disconnected the large hose that connects to the air filter. You then have some room to move all of this stuff forward so that you get a good look at the nut.

One thing I did was try to guestimate where the bolt went through into engine bay. So, from under the car, there were two hoses that came through the "firewal." The nut is about two to three inches from there, up and towards the passenger side. If you try and follow it that way, it will get you into the neighborhood.

Taking off the top bolt, I got lucky. I do not know if you can get a socket on the top bolt from underneath with the stock starter. You can get one on there with the mini. So I losened the top nut, and it would just spin. I pulled the bottom bolt and that cause the top bolt to tilt, which gave me enough friction to get the top nut off.

You will need a second set of hands to get the nut back on. Someone will need to hold the bolt while you thread it. After that, you can stick an open end wrench on the nut from the top and use a socket + extension to tighten it from below.

Good luck!
smooth_eddy
Okay, found the recent thread for the top bolt. But my new starter does not have slot to capture the bolt. I guess I will just have to hope it grabs somehow when I tighten the top nut. Eddy
Bleyseng
put a vise grip on the bolt head above the starter to hold it.
then put the washer and nut on the engine side, its easy! clap.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Nov 27 2005, 11:05 AM)
Okay, found the recent thread for the top bolt.  But my new starter does not have slot to capture the bolt.  I guess I will just have to hope it grabs somehow when I tighten the top nut.  Eddy

Hang a box end wrench on it....thread the nut & wavy washer on the bolt without pushing to hard....once caught, slowly tighten and the wrench will move up against the trunk floor...tighten

(the above after you have put the lower bolt on the starter and tightened it)

Edit: Damn Goeff...you type fast type.gif
smooth_eddy
Thanks everyone... I will give it a shot. I can hardly wait to go lay on my wet driveway. wacko.gif Eddy
Bleyseng
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 27 2005, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Nov 27 2005, 11:05 AM)
Okay, found the recent thread for the top bolt.  But my new starter does not have slot to capture the bolt.  I guess I will just have to hope it grabs somehow when I tighten the top nut.  Eddy

Hang a box end wrench on it....thread the nut & wavy washer on the bolt without pushing to hard....once caught, slowly tighten and the wrench will move up against the trunk floor...tighten

(the above after you have put the lower bolt on the starter and tightened it)

Edit: Damn Goeff...you type fast type.gif

I am younger than you by a couple of years so my fingers still move. wink.gif
smooth_eddy
Okay......Done.... Took 1-1/2 hours. Not bad. Used Geoff's idea with the vice grips on the top nut inside the engine compartment. One problem though sad.gif . The lower nut will not tighten past snug. It goes from snug to loose as the stud just pulls loose as I try to tighten. Looks like I need to run a bottom tap thru the threads and put in a new stud? Does Pelican sell these?

I do like the sound of the new starter though. Has a wine to it kind of like a air starter motor on a large truck. The mini Does a much better job of turning the engine over. Really gets with the program when I turn the key.

Also, the old starter works fine (except hot start problems after a few hrs). Is it worth anything, or junk? Eddy
SLITS
$7 as a core

Are you sure you didn't strip the threads in the nut or on the stud?
Rough_Rider
Snap, just did this today...
Only took 20 minutes, hardest part was getting a wrench on the top bolt.

New one went in smooth as butter.

Starter usaed to go, chug.....chug...chug. Not any more mueba.gif

Weighed the units, New one is 8.5lb old Bosch jobbie 13.5lb
smooth_eddy
Are you sure you didn't strip the threads in the nut or on the stud?

I think the stud must be stripped inside the the tranny housing. The nut and protruding stud have good threads. As I tighten the lower nut, the stud pulls forward. I will have to remove the stud with a small pair of channel locks I guess? Then re-tap and replace the stud with a good thread. Unfortunately, it is not possible to add a nut to the back side of the stud as the tranny housing is in the way. Who ever put in the last starter tightened the lower bolt too much. mad.gif

Well the old motor goes in the trash this Wednesday, unless someone here wants it.

Eddy
SLITS
If you "double nut" the stud, you can back it out and then use a helicoil to "renew" the threads.

If you are not familar with the "double nut".....thread one nut on and then another and lock the first against the second. Use the first nut to back the stud out.
smooth_eddy
If you "double nut" the stud, you can back it out and then use a helicoil to "renew" the threads

Funny, I called Pelican today as I was driving home from work and they told me the stud was NLA. Soon as he said that, double nutting popped into my head. Guess we are on the same wavelength.

So what is a helicoil? How is it different from a bottom tap? Eddy
SLITS
You drill slightly oversize, retap the hole with a bigger tap and insert the helicoil (esentially threads), which brings it back to the original size and screw original stud back in......you can get kits at your local FLAPS with the tap, installation tool and coils in a plastic box. CARQUEST sells RECOIL brand./
lsimburger
I followed various threads and they all seem to say going with the new mini starter is a plus. I just ordered mine after my orginal starter is giving me some warning signs of giving out. I have seen the thread about the mystery bolt so I got that one, but I have not seen anyone comment on the wiring connection when hooking up the new mini starter. Is it obvious and I don't need any tips? That would be refreshing. Is there anything else I should know about when installing the mini starter (saw the tip about checking the tranmission grounding strap)
VaccaRabite
I am interested in adding a lighter starter to my car. I have not run it in the summer yet, but the PO (or the PPO, or the PPPO) had installed a hot start kit onto the car. I have the engine out now while I restore the car, and I'd like to replace all the stuff I can while the engine is out, rather then fish around once the engine is back in.

What model is the Nippondenso mini starter? I googled "Nippondenso mini starter" and it brought up some hits, but none for type 4 motors.

Thanks guys,

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Nov 27 2005, 09:21 PM)
Then re-tap and replace the stud with a good thread. Unfortunately, it is not possible to add a nut to the back side of the stud as the tranny housing is in the way. Who ever put in the last starter tightened the lower bolt too much.

Eddy

Ya can't "retap" something that's not there. Helicoil time. The Cap'n
URY914
Where are you guys getting your mini-starters from and how much?

I need to do it.

Thanks
KaptKaos
Ebay.

A fellow in California.

Here is a link: Starter

If you use Paypal, you can use the coupons found here: Coupons

Have fun.

Merry Christmas.
URY914
Perfect!

Thanks

Paul
VaccaRabite
Excellent. Thanks!

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.