Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip protection..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...rd=CHIP%2CGUARD

The tops of my rocker panels continually get chips from in and out use. Going torepaint next week and would like to apply somthing to the top-most part of the rocker panels to stop the chipping.

Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
Mark Henry
Just don't put rhinoliner on your hootus

ph34r.gif
2-OH!
My last restoration, the painter suggested and we used, a spray on product that worked very well...Real tough and durable...I used it on both rockers and the front and rear valances...

It does leave the paint a slightly different sheen though...They are all in the shade of the car and honestly, you could hardly notice a difference...

I am doing another now and I plan to use the same product...Now if I could just remember the name...

Call a body shop or supply house, they will know...

Paint the rockers and valances the way you want them and spray this stuff over em'

2-OH!

Mark Henry
QUOTE (2-OH! @ Nov 28 2005, 05:27 PM)
My last restoration, the painter suggested and we used, a spray on product that worked very well...Real tough and durable...I used it on both rockers and the front and rear valances...

It does leave the paint a slightly different sheen though...They are all in the shade of the car and honestly, you could hardly notice a difference...

I am doing another now and I plan to use the same product...Now if I could just remember the name...

Call a body shop or supply house, they will know...

Paint the rockers and valances the way you want them and spray this stuff over em'

2-OH!

Rockerguard
jim_hoyland
ANYONE KNOW WHAT PRODUCT THAT MIGHT BE ?
Mark Henry
I use Colorflo rocker panal coating (rocker guard)
Part # 31030
Carquest....but most FLAPS carry it in some form.

It's black but paintable. You can also get it in white, clear, brown, cream...etc.

You need a shlitz gun (about $20) and a compressor to apply it.

Looks very close to the OE rocker or top finish.
Mark Henry
That film won't work very good on textured surfaces like our rockers....it should be OK on flat smooth painted surfaces with no contours.
Racing916
I have the 3M tape on my flares and it works pretty good and have had no problems with it, however it took me a few trys to put it on because the tape likes to stretch.

steve
jim_hoyland
The tape sounds like what I need; only the very top of the rocker panels get chips. Can it be purchaed at FLAPS ?
pfierb
I bought an aerosol can of this spray on stuff by Dupli-Color black and rubbery goes on very easy... use it on the black rocker panels of the Mercedes looks like factory and very easy to touch up.Oh yes bought it at K-Mart.

Paul F.
vortrex
QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Nov 28 2005, 05:29 PM)
The tape sounds like what I need; only the very top of the rocker panels get chips. Can it be purchaed at FLAPS ?

make sure you get a film that has a clear coat on it otherwise it's going to get grease/oil stains that are hard to remove.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.