Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Blower Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tiim5
The heater blower in the engine compartment of my 73' 1.7 has a single inlet for the hoses from H/E's . I have seen these with two inlets one from each side of the motor.
The passenger side on my car has been capped by po. There is one, not connected because torn, hose from the drivers side that looks like it would be the only source from the h/e's to the blower motor. Is this a stock set up? Was there a tee fitting of some sort to remedy this. Do I have a very strange blower motor installed?

Thanks.
McMark
Early cars (70-72) had the double outlet housing fan.
Mid cars (73-74) had a single outlet housing fan with a single hose to the drivers side and a stock cap on the passengers side. (This is you. wink.gif )
Late cars (75-76) had the same single outlet fan with a splitter and hoses to both sides of the motor.

Heating air comes not only from the auxiliary fan you're seeing, but also from a small amount of air coming from the engine cooling fan. You can get some heat without an aux fan, but it's a small amount compared to the with the aux fan.
r_towle
Hi,
Could you please show a pic of the splitter hose arrangement....we will need more heat...

Rich
Hammy
wait so my heater blower only blows to the driver's side?
Oliver
Yes please post a pic or two of how the hose system work's...
It would be real nice if it was for a 1.8l 1974 914...
:wink:
It's cold and the carb will be rebuilt...
dead horse.gif
mueba.gif
McMark
I can't find any pictures in the factory manuals. dry.gif

The splitter just slides into the end of the fan. Hopefully someone else can snap a shot.
STL914
This splitter has been posted on eBay recently. Do a search to see if it's still there. There is currently a blower with dual outlets on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...ZWDVWQQtcZphoto

I can post a picture later today of the splitter I removed from my 74.
SLITS
user posted image

user posted image
r_towle
thank you for that pic.
tiim5
Thanks Mark, as usual, your knowledge is amazing!
STL914
SLITS beat me to posting the picture, but at least I can provide a part number that's on mine: 461261831A and it's a VW part number. So check your local VW parts department or bug shop.
MartyYeoman
Any comments on which if these setups works best and why?? confused24.gif
SLITS
It has been said that the blower is not powerful enough to blow thru two hoses, so the "double" blower was dropped in favor of the single.

That said, they went on to produce the splitter for a single outlet.....

You decide..........they both work
STL914
For those who may be interested, this is the eBay link to a heater update kit; splitter and hose:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...sspagenameZWD1V

Andyrew
What works best would be two single blowers....

More total cfm...

That said, I am in need of a double blower for a certain project... (v8 heater, using an oil cooler up front... )

Hmm ebay eh?

Flat VW
I find if I roll the windows down a bit the heat seem to "flow" better.

I was also reminded, one evening, recently, that the heat really works well when the top is off. blowtorch.gif

But then again, my number one passenger (my wife Laurie) thinks 60 degrees F. is cold, a southern Arizona girl, phurshur.......
cool_shades.gif
YMMV

John

blowtorch.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.