Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.3 turbo update...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mugs914
calvin.gif A bit of progress on the turbo project...

The rear suspension bits have been finished and installed. All I need now is a pair of 930 stub axles (six 10mm bolts). Anyone have any they'd like to part with?

The rear arms have been reinforced with a 1" tube running diagonally through the arm from the bearing carrier to the pivot tube. See the pics, it takes too long to describe... biggrin.gif Also made the typical toe adjustment struts that run from the mouting bracket to the tub.

The front fenders have been sawzall-smiley.gif to make way for the new nose. Even more weight out of the tub! monkeydance.gif
The one piece nose is the same as used on the Baker IMSA GTU car in the early eighties and it is LIGHT! We have access to the mold and will make anew one, but the original will do for now.

Enough jawin' already. Here are some pics...

The front minus fenders. There is still a bit of more metal to remove...
The jack is holding the wheel at the approximate ride height.
Mugs914
'Nother...

Check out the travel at the strut! That's a full-length Koni bump rubber at the top, so there are actually a couple more inches of travel, but raised camber plates are on the menu...
Mugs914
That's my buddy Rod Lindsey. I told him to smile when I took the pic, but I guess nobody smiles when they're chipping undercoat...
Mugs914
Here she is with the new nose in place...
Mugs914
'Nother...
Mugs914
Slicks fill the flares nicely...
Mugs914
Rear suspension...
Mugs914
Adjustable toe strut...
Mugs914
Oops...
Eric Taylor
Awesome work, really a cool project to see biggrin.gif . Take me for a ride some day laugh.gif
Eric
Mugs914
icon_bump.gif

I'm still in need of a pair of 930 stub axles.

Anybody...? Anybody...? Beuhler...?
db9146
Mike,

I have seen others here use a brace on the inside of the rear swing arm mount but not on the outside. Is there that much adjustment there? Can you explain that a little if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
rpmmaxxed
That arm in the nose pic looks familiar.

Step by step, she will spool one day, she will.

Looks good man. New nose looks cherry. Keep er up...
Jeroen
QUOTE (db9146 @ Nov 30 2005, 03:24 AM)
Mike,

I have seen others here use a brace on the inside of the rear swing arm mount but not on the outside. Is there that much adjustment there? Can you explain that a little if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

I'm not Mike but...
biggrin.gif

the link offers some reinforcement
and it will allow you to take the rear suspension apart without the need to realign it when you put it together
the set lenght of the link "remembers" your toe setting
Brett W
Where did you get the original Baker body work? I thought it was still attached to a car?
Mugs914
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Nov 29 2005, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (db9146 @ Nov 30 2005, 03:24 AM)
Mike,

I have seen others here use a brace on the inside of the rear swing arm mount but not on the outside.  Is there that much adjustment there?  Can you explain that a little if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

I'm not Mike but...
biggrin.gif

the link offers some reinforcement
and it will allow you to take the rear suspension apart without the need to realign it when you put it together
the set lenght of the link "remembers" your toe setting

Yup, that's it! It also makes setting the toe very easy. Just loosen the outboard mount and turn the strut tube. After the desired toe setting is dialed in, you can take the assembly apart to change camber shims without screwing up the toe setting.

Not an original idea, but pray.gif to whoever thought it up!
Mugs914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Nov 29 2005, 07:46 PM)
Where did you get the original Baker body work? I thought it was still attached to a car?

Well, it is... rolleyes.gif

The original Baker car is now owned by Ron Mistak, who happens to be a good buddy of mine. The nose on my car is one of the spares. We have access to the molds, so there will be new ones made at some point but the old spare will do for set-up.

Someone else has copied the bodywork from the Baker too. Geary Smith's 914 has the same front and rear fenders. Not sure where he got them...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mugs914 @ Nov 29 2005, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (Brett W @ Nov 29 2005, 07:46 PM)
Where did you get the original Baker body work?  I thought it was still attached to a car?

Well, it is... rolleyes.gif

The original Baker car is now owned by Ron Mistak, who happens to be a good buddy of mine. The nose on my car is one of the spares. We have access to the molds, so there will be new ones made at some point but the old spare will do for set-up.

Someone else has copied the bodywork from the Baker too. Geary Smith's 914 has the same front and rear fenders. Not sure where he got them...

wow! you know wayne baker, and ron mistak.....

guys on my 'id like to meet' list. you just got added too smile.gif

AA

BTW - that glassbody looks thin. next set gonna be a tad thicker? or just gonna keep it thin for weight savings?
Brett W
I will pay you if you will go over and take about 100 pictures of that car. I have been trying to get pictures of it since I saw the article many years ago in Excellence. I have talked to Ron, Wayne, Don, Dave Colman, another photographer for the San Fransisco region PCA, etc. They all offer to help and never quite get around to it.
gregrobbins
I had a chance to meet Mike and Ron and the Vintage Car Race in Palm Springs. Damn, that 914-4 of Rons is a hell of a car. I really appreciated Mike and Ron showing me the car in detail. Great 914 people!

Now, for Mike's turbo project. It is going to be awsome. I too want a ride!
Mugs914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2005, 09:01 PM)
BTW - that glassbody looks thin. next set gonna be a tad thicker? or just gonna keep it thin for weight savings?

It's REALLY thin! Of course it weighs nothing, which is nice. We routinely lift it off the car with two fingers!

The new ones will be just the same. It's actually pretty strong, especially when it's mounted on the car. I might add a bit of reinforcement in a few areas, but not much.

We need to get a run going down here in north San D county. I was cruising a possible route just the other day. I'm sure we could cruise over to Ron's place to gander the cars. He's got the Baker car and a GT-1 look alike that was once a 914. In fact he might like to go along, his son just got a nice 72 (I think) for his first car...
Mugs914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Nov 29 2005, 09:04 PM)
I will pay you if you will go over and take about 100 pictures of that car.

C'mon now, no need to pay! I'll try to get over there with the camera one of these days.

Anythting in particular you want to see, or just everything? biggrin.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Nov 29 2005, 09:21 PM)
I had a chance to meet Mike and Ron and the Vintage Car Race in Palm Springs. Damn, that 914-4 of Rons is a hell of a car. I really appreciated Mike and Ron showing me the car in detail. Great 914 people!

Now, for Mike's turbo project. It is going to be awsome. I too want a ride!

Hi Greg!

It was great to meet you "for real"... biggrin.gif

Any chance you could post a few of the shots you got at Palm Springs?
Mugs914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2005, 09:01 PM)

wow! you know wayne baker, and ron mistak.....

guys on my 'id like to meet' list. you just got added too smile.gif

AA

ohmy.gif

Wow, that's exalted company! Thanks for the promotion!

beerchug.gif

Brett W
Pictures of the chassis more than anything. I have talked with Don Araki for several hours about the car. I would judt like some pictures of it to highlight some of the stuff we talked about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.