Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
balljoint
Parts car is a '71. It came with a Momo steering wheel, which is, so far, the only thing of value that I have from that rust bucket.

I would like to put it on my '74, but when I switched the wheels as is there were two problems. The splines were the same, so no problem there.

1. The Momo only gives half an inch of space to thread the centre nut on, where the stock wheel had an inch or more. If I tighten the centre nut too far down on the Momo, the wheel won't turn at all.

2. The horn with the Momo would not work.

I have some pics front and back of both wheels as well as one of the contact area for the horn. Here is the stock wheel in the car.
balljoint
Here is the new Momo.
balljoint
Back of the stock wheel.
balljoint
Back of the Momo.

If I switch the horn contacts from the two wheels is this going to work?
balljoint
Steering column with no wheel.
lapuwali
The hub detaches from the wheel easily enough (those 6 allen screws on the wheel aren't there for looks).

There are two hubs available for the 914 from MOMO, though the only one available new is for newer ('73-on) cars. If you have a '70-'72 hub on that wheel, then you can sell the hub on Ebay for a nice sum, to someone with an early car who's looking for one, and just buy a late model hub new.

The splines are all the same, but the offset is different, so the hub goes on "too far" or not enough, depending on how they're mismatched. It's pretty easy to tell when you have the wrong one.

double-a
kinda looks like a monte carlo wheel to me. i've got one on mine and with the momo 914 adapter it looks very good.

edit: it looks to me like you're missing the 'horn ring' on the backside of the momo. i haven't had mine off in awhile so i can't be sure. might explain the no-worky horn. i think you can switch it from the stock wheel, but don't quote me.

~a
markb
If you wanna swap adapters, lemme know. I have a later one, and could use the early one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.