Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Converting: Lug Bolts to Lug Nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
It's always been a PITA to reinstall the wheels onto the car w/ lug bolts so then im trying to find these double-ended studs to go w/ a set of lug nuts ive got. Does anyone know where i can find some 14mm double-ended studs? Thanks in advance.
Rockaria
What length do you want? 14MM X ?? I have a set I don't need but they are not long enough by 2 or so threads for 911 Style fuch wheels.
dlo914
QUOTE (Rockaria @ Nov 28 2005, 03:51 PM)
What length do you want? 14MM X ?? I have a set I don't need but they are not long enough by 2 or so threads for 911 Style fuch wheels.

14mm X 1.5" im gonna be using these on a set of rivieras. would you happen to have any pictures?
Rockaria
When I get home tonight I will get all you need and email you on my bolts, I believe they are 1.5".
dlo914
thanks Chris! smilie_pokal.gif
Dr. Roger
threaded rod and some red loctite work?

I dont know but i've thought about this solution before....

Rog
Mueller
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Nov 28 2005, 06:29 PM)

Rog

you scare me Roger smile.gif

these are the only screw-in studs I'd trust...these are made by BBS Racing (you know, the company that makes BBS Racing wheels....)

High strength screw-in studs
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 28 2005, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Nov 28 2005, 06:29 PM)

Rog

you scare me Roger smile.gif

these are the only screw-in studs I'd trust...these are made by BBS Racing (you know, the company that makes BBS Racing wheels....)

High strength screw-in studs

You slay me Mike...

Always worried about SAFETY...

Thanks, sometime I see things posted that worry me......
Mueller
I know that Roger was kidding...or so I hope so......just wanted to get that out in case some newbie started looking at the floor stock in Home Depot and got some ideas.....it could happen....
Carlitos Way
About $100 for "convenient" wheel changes... hmmmmm
dlo914
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Nov 28 2005, 06:11 PM)

tell me about it some "Bling" shop wanted to charge me $5/stud X 16 = $80 for convienent tire change.... wacko.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Nov 28 2005, 09:11 PM)

for a convenient way to do it...have one per wheel

Or carry one with you that is four inches long...thread it in and hang the wheel off of it...

Attach the other three or four bolts..remove the rod and put in the last bolt....

Rich
markb
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 28 2005, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Nov 28 2005, 09:11 PM)
About $100 for "convenient" wheel changes...   hmmmmm

for a convenient way to do it...have one per wheel

Or carry one with you that is four inches long...thread it in and hang the wheel off of it...

Attach the other three or four bolts..remove the rod and put in the last bolt....

Rich

There you go, making sense again. biggrin.gif
dlo914
be a bitch if you misplace the rod during a flat tire situation... wacko.gif
r_towle
you might just have to remember how to balance the wheel on your feet like you already do now.....

Rich
dlo914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 28 2005, 07:09 PM)
you might just have to remember how to balance the wheel on your feet like you already do now.....

Rich

or thigh dry.gif
Rockaria
Okay I gots the info. I got these from some toothless guy at the Flee market. He was a' wittlin them from a larger led pile made from used bullets! I think they are safe enough wacko.gif flipa.gif

For real: I got them from WheelComponents.com, not quite 80 bucks but when I got them I had little to no info to go on. I since noticed I needed longer ones. As per the REAL reason I have these extra. I have the 14mmX1.75 on my fronts now and they have worked great for years.

14mm X1.5"X14MM - 12 new ones and 9 used ones in perfect condition, just a bit dirty.

go to this site for pics #2736-2742

http://www.rockaria.com/914parts/
Rockaria
I also have an extra set of 14mmX1.75X1/2" studs I got just in case I could not find 14mm acorns, I could have used american 1/2" acorns instead. Didn't need them since I found the super light 14mm alloy acorns. I think they are really designed for different style rims that have a smaller hole for the bolt. Probly not the best idea with a rim with a 14mm hole.

Same site pictures #2743-#2746
GaroldShaffer
Just go to your local VW dealer and ask for a tommy bar part number 893 012 223 works great for the 914. Just screw it in and hang the wheel while you install the other lug bolts.
Rotary'14
agree.gif

I remembered seeing those somewhere but I didn't know what they were called. Yeah Dlo, use those things. wink.gif

-Rob
Borderline
O gawd I know I'm going to be laughed out of the club for posting this, but I bought a set of wheel studs 14mm-1/2" with chrome nuts from .....jc whitney....stop laughing. I don't remember the price but it was really cheap somewhere between $15 and $30. they are a lttle on the short side but I've got some Rivieras mounted with them. I figure if they can handle the tightening torque they would be ok for the street. I'm sorry I don't have the part numbers or a link but jcw has a whole vw section. biggrin.gif

cheap Bill
dlo914
the 1.5" ones should be long enough right? ive got a set of rivieras on the 14, and from looking at the original lug bolt it seems to be long enough. How much you want for the 14mm X 1.5" set? how's a $1 a pop?
Mueller
QUOTE (Borderline @ Nov 28 2005, 09:43 PM)
O gawd I know I'm going to be laughed out of the club for posting this, but I bought a set of wheel studs 14mm-1/2" with chrome nuts from .....jc whitney....stop laughing. I don't remember the price but it was really cheap somewhere between $15 and $30. they are a lttle on the short side but I've got some Rivieras mounted with them. I figure if they can handle the tightening torque they would be ok for the street. I'm sorry I don't have the part numbers or a link but jcw has a whole vw section. biggrin.gif

cheap Bill

I wouldn't trust those cheap @ss studs on my lawn mower.....those are the same cheap ones sold by Prestige Wheels
Rockaria
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Nov 28 2005, 10:43 PM)
the 1.5" ones should be long enough right? ive got a set of rivieras on the 14, and from looking at the original lug bolt it seems to be long enough. How much you want for the 14mm X 1.5" set? how's a $1 a pop?

email me your address and I will send them to you. If they work and you like them, keep 'em... no charge. If not send them back.

Cool? cool.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (Rockaria @ Nov 28 2005, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Nov 28 2005, 10:43 PM)

email me your address and I will send them to you. If they work and you like them, keep 'em... no charge. If not send them back.

Cool? cool.gif

sweet! smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.