Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler plumbing help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dion9146
Folks,

Looking for some help and advice from those that have been there/done that. Pictures and well documented websites would work nicely smile.gif .

I want to install a front mounted oil cooler for my 2.0 Six, and although it may be overkill because it is not being built as an overstressed engine, it may see an open track day or two in the Summer heat (if I sell my racecar). I've studied the factory GT setup from every angle possible in person and on some excellent websites online, but replicating the factory setup for me is overkill. I don't care about being authentic, just functional and practical. Flexible lines, aftermarket thermostats and Rx7 oil coolers are fine with me.

Do any of you out there have examples of how you did yours, what works and doesn't work, size of lines, plumbing layouts, oil cooler options, etc?

Advice and help are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dion
brant
The thing about an RX7 cooler is that by the time you clean it, cut off the restrictive inlet/thermostat, and reweld new fittings onto it.... you'll have more in it than you would just buying a propper cooler.
(plus real pro's don't ever re-use coolers... do you really want a stray piece of metal to enter your motor and trash the pump or bearings? new coolers are not that expensive)

if your trying to do it on a budget.
I'd recommend AN-12 for a -6
go up the passenger side.
center cooler ducted out the bottom
and back on the drivers side where the tank is.

I'd consider using the reproduction GT style shroud over the cooler.

you can save money with steel fittings, hydro hose, or the good blue/black oil lines (non-stainless)

remember ducting and shrouds are important.
I know that many cars are built without... not trying to put anyone down, but I like ducting!

brant
dion9146
Thanks Brant. All very good points, and you are right, I would never reuse an unknown or non-cleaned oil cooler. I don't follow that practice on my racecar, and I won't do it on the 914 either.

Budget isn't that big of an issue for me. I want to do this right, but I'm not going to go looking for a 917 style thermostat just so I can look like a factory GT car. What kind of thermostat would you recommend, and where can I find the repro GT style ducting?

FWIW, I've used the Blue high temp, high pressure hose and fittings on my race car setup without an issue for years. I've also used the barbed press on fittings in the setup, and never had a leak either. I was a little skeptical at first as I had always used braided and aircraft fittings, but for the same performance and half the cost, the setup works fine.

Dion
J P Stein
Is this Dion from the old 914 Rennlist?
dion9146
You got it. I've been awol for a few years playing around with my Formula Vee and Formula First racecars.

It's nice to be back in 914 land again and see some old 'faces' again as well.

Dion
J P Stein
QUOTE (dion9146 @ Nov 28 2005, 05:00 PM)

It's nice to be back in 914 land again and see some old 'faces' again as well.

Dion

Hay, I resemble that remark. biggrin.gif
How many pics do ya want?
Front to rear or the other way?
Trekkor
Welcome to our little club...

I'm one of the _______'s here. ( you fill in the blank )

I did it this way:cooler install

KT
dion9146
Thanks KT. The verbiage and pictures are helpful.

Dion
J P Stein
Let's start at the front.
Bumper cutout
J P Stein
Fluidyne cooler.The lines run over the steering rack & aft.
J P Stein
Into the pass compartment, then into the long.
J P Stein
Out the heater tube to the thermostat.
DanT
JP,
What were the dimensions of the cutout in the bumper and valence?
What size cooler did you use? biggrin.gif
dion9146
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 28 2005, 05:06 PM)

Not sure how I should respond to that one. icon8.gif

Dion
dion9146
QUOTE (dion9146 @ Nov 28 2005, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 28 2005, 05:06 PM)

Not sure how I should respond to that one. icon8.gif

Dion

OH! You were talking about your car! wink.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Dion
dion9146
JP,

I have the same front end as you do, but I was trying to avoid cutting either bumper or air dam. The previous owner built an air scoop under the air dam per the attached pic. Sorry for the quality, I had to blow it way up.

This worked cooling his V8 radiator up front (with fans of course). His holes were cut flatter in the floor than the factory style but had an entrance hole and exit hole, both on the floor.

Dion
J P Stein
Cover for the front trunk
J P Stein
Dan:
The cooler is Fluidyne #30416......14-3/4 X 6-1/4 X 2-3/4
The hole in the front bulkhead is about 12 X 5 and as you can
see in the bumper pic, I left a strip in the center of the cutout intact.

Dion:
Are you going to attempt to use the existing ducting/cutouts
for the new cooler?
The Fluidyne is a nice piece. It was about 300 bucks a couple-4 years ago. They have a good website with all their "stuff".
The holes in the rear bulkhead seem smallish but apparently vent the thing fine as frog hair. It's never gone over 100C.
McMark
Damn JP, that front trunk cover looks really nice! Great Work! clap.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 28 2005, 08:06 PM)
Damn JP, that front trunk cover looks really nice!  Great Work!  :clap: smiley_notworthy.gif

Why, thank you.
It's now excess to my needs as there is a gas tank in the way.
If anybody needs/wants, lemmeno.
dion9146
JP,

I would like to try to use the existing holes with a GT style shroud that I'll probably make myself out of aluminum. If I do it right, I can put the trunk shelf in over top of it and you'll never see the setup. Obviously, I won't carry a spare either.

That cooler does look like a nice piece. I might have to look into one of those.

Thanks,

Dion
Aaron Cox
you can still carry a spare. find a spacesaver like this, and move the mount to the firewall
user posted image
dion9146
Aaron,

Honestly, for as much as I will be driving this car, my spare is in my wallet and it's labeled "AAA Gold".

I have thought about the small spare. Thanks for the pic.

Dion
JmuRiz
Ah yes, the AAA card, a great spare to have. You can always put the spare in the trunk if you like, fits there nicely.
jhadler
I like th oil line routing through the heater tubes. Is there a way to route the oil lines up the heater tubes and into the front trunk (maybe under the gas tank) without going through the passenger compartment or wheel well?

Still trying to plan out a nice path for the oil lines...

Dion, nice to see old faces again here in the web world...

-Josh2
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jhadler @ Nov 29 2005, 04:05 PM)
I like th oil line routing through the heater tubes. Is there a way to route the oil lines up the heater tubes and into the front trunk (maybe under the gas tank) without going through the passenger compartment or wheel well?

-Josh2

Bmartin's install
dion9146
QUOTE (jhadler @ Nov 29 2005, 03:05 PM)

-Josh2

Hey Josh2, nice to see your face too... biggrin.gif

Dion
brant
QUOTE (jhadler @ Nov 29 2005, 04:05 PM)

-Josh2

Josh,

I'm on dial up..
too slow to find you the pictures from my vintage thread.

but I took my lines up on the forward edge of the long.
(where the paper heater tubes would normally be)
and then into the front trunk where the stock gas tank would normally be.

I did it because I actually think the lines were shorter in this plumbing arrangement for my dual cooler set up... and wanted to save length so that I would be saving WEIGHT......

brant
brant
ok...
better connection now.
here is a pic or two.

lines exiting long:
brant
picture of the oil line coming into the front trunk.
We made aluminum cover plates with a grommet to fit the line and then glued the plate in with autobody panel adhesive:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.