Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield cracked!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
I had the glass lifted off the frame and only tilted it to cut the rest of the butyl on the bottom of the windshield frame and then I heard the dreaded sound of glass cracking. It cracked on the bottom between the left side and the center of the windshield. I have heard of shops repairing the glass while still on the car, but is it possible to repair the glass while it is off the car.
turbo914v8
That totally sucks headbang.gif I did the same thing just recently with my bran new windshield. Yes it can be repaired of the car. The process is as follows. First a high speed drill is used with a round time to grind, cut, seal the end of the crack to stop it form traveling then a liquid sealer is applied and hardened using UV light. If all goes well the crack will not travel any further. So far so good the process worked fine for me. Good luck.
VaccaRabite
I recently cracked mine cutting out the butyl tpe too (and started a thread about it.)

Anyhow, I ended up taking windshiled out of the car, beating it up with a mattox, sweeping up the broken glass and binning it.

The mattox part was fun, at least.

Zach
pfierb
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Nov 29 2005, 08:45 AM)
That totally sucks headbang.gif I did the same thing just recently with my bran new windshield. Yes it can be repaired of the car. The process is as follows. First a high speed drill is used with a round time to grind, cut, seal the end of the crack to stop it form traveling then a liquid sealer is applied and hardened using UV light. If all goes well the crack will not travel any further. So far so good the process worked fine for me. Good luck.

A local glass shop just used the uv gun on very slight crack ,near the rear view mirror,after they used a sealer while it is much better it is still not perfect.....after a week I forgot all about it......only see it if I go looking for it.

Paul F.
sj914
I contemplated on using th bfh method since I cracked it already, but the thought of shelling out more for a new windshield made me rethink that idea. Looking at it again the crack starts at the bottom where the butyl is and goes up two directions about four inches. Looks like I'll be calling up shops that are willing to do it.

Any advise on transporting the glass without breaking it further.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.