Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question 1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
The flange for the CV boots that I bought came with 6 holes. Knowing that only 4 of these would be filled with bolts, I put a bead of gasket material to seal the grease in. This seems to have worked for one side, but the other is steadily coating the underside of my trunk with CV grease.

Any thoughts other than to clean it up and try again?

Thanks
Dave_Darling
Uhh, the other two holes should have roll pins in them. If they do not, take the CVs off and install the pins!!! Otherwise, they will un-install themselves....

--DD
BenNC
There are roll pins on the solid part of the joint that meets the flange (sorry, lacking proper terminology), but they are flush with the surface. The original boots that I took off only had four holes in the flange.

Same thing on the donor car for the engine/tranny.

Do I need to replace the roll pins?
Dave_Darling
Uhh, I don't think I understand what you're saying here. sad.gif

There should be two roll pins holding the outer cage of the CV joint onto the transmission output flange, in addition to the four bolts. Ditto on the stub axle end.

If you are specifically asking about the boots, I'm not sure what to say.

--DD
BenNC
Outer cage, that's the term.

There are two pins in the cage that extend into the tranny flange. However, these are flush with the cage on the other side.

The CV boot has the metal flange that seats around the cage (I think that we have too many flanges in too small of a space, sorry about the confusion). This is the beast that had four holes in the original and six in the replacement.
SirAndy
any pics?
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Steve
I've got the same problem.
I bought a set of brand new complete axles and cv's.
I installed the pins that you mentioned in the cv's.
It's on the boot side that have extra open holes that shoot out grease.
I went to home depot and bought some metal hole plugs.
It worked for the trans side but I can't get to the trailing arm side.
It's on my list of things to fix.
When I get a chance I will take some pictures.

Steve
garyh
Actually:

The roll pins are on the flange side. They will only go in so far if you put them in the right holes.; the hole has a slight shelf in it. They shouldn't be flush with anything.

The two extra holes in the boot should not be letting any grease out. The extra holes go over the roll pin holes, and the roll pins go into sockets in the flange that have no grease in them.

More than likely, you left out the flange gasket. Or made an assembly error.

G.
Brad Roberts
Wrong parts. Send them back. You should only have 4 holes in the CV boot flange.

B
garyh
You know that, and I know that. Who's going to tell Lobro?

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 26 2003, 09:34 PM)
Wrong parts. Send them back. You should only have 4 holes in the CV boot flange.

B
BenNC
Who has the right part?

Pelican and GPR both have the 6 hole version.
garyh
QUOTE(BenNC @ Aug 27 2003, 03:07 PM)
Who has the right part?

Pelican and GPR both have the 6 hole version.

Read the above posts smile.gif

They don't make them any more. But that's OK, there's no grease behind the extra holes.

You probably forgot the flange gasket.

Gary.
BenNC
I have a gasket between the CV cage and the tranny flange. Is there another gasket that goes in the boot flange? That's kind of what I was trying to make with the gasket material.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.