Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting out rear quarter to do long repair?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JCG
I'm in the process of repairing both longs and hell hole. I'm trying to avoid cutting out the rear quarter but I can't seem to get good welds while squeezing the gun up between the inner and outer fender. I know some of you choose to remove a section of the body for easier access. Is it worth it? and if it is, any tricks or pics?
Thanks
Bleyseng
If I had to do tons of rust repair inside the wheelhouse and long I would definately pull a section of the rear fender off. Damn, its tight in there!

Just cut the fender with a Bosch jigsaw with a thin metal blade to lines you have marked on the fender so you can stitch weld it back together later.

Grinders with thin blades throw too many sparks for my taste and are hard to control.

Looking at your avatar pic it looks like you have tons of work to do. Maybe think about new pans and a Engman inner long kit to stiffen the car.

Post more pics of the rust in your blog so we can see what you are doing and what needs to be done.
Lou W
Here is a picture of one of the clubs member who did a long repair and cut his fenders to do it. I think it makes for a better and easier job;
JCG
Bleyseng,
Thanks, I'm going to cut it off.
Oh yes I have lots of work to do. I either have or am making just about all the parts I need including inner and floor. this has been a long term project mostly because I lost my garage in a move, now designing a new one. Meanwhile my car is sitting in the woods with a tarp over it and the doors welded shut. Shame
Once I get back into the swing of things I'll post pictures, for moral support.
JCG
Lou, thats just the picture I have been searching for, thanks
Mueller
BTDT on my father-in-laws 911....not a good feeling cutting into a perfect qtr panel, but it's something that must be done....hats off to you for doing it correctly smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
I have plenty more detailed pictures if you need them, I think the car belongs to Jeroen, he had a thread somewhere around here, something like 26 pages long. It was awsome. smile.gif
Rand
I think that's from michelko's thread.
Lou W
Rand Posted on Nov 29 2005, 12:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that's from michelko's thread.  

You're right, pick up your prize at the door. biggrin.gif
Thank you
Bleyseng
If you want to see some rusty car pics go to Jeroen site and see his old 914.
maf914
There have been some great resto threads on this site and Michelko's has to be one of the most impressive. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.

JCG, Good luck with your project.
JCG
Thanks for all the tips. I'm well aware of all the threads of projects like mine. This site and the PP forums are about all the reading I do these days, other than the occasional catalog.
IanStott
How do I save that link to Michelko" s great job, referring to those pics as I do mine will be extremely helpful!

Ian Stott
Computer illiterate in Moncton
Hammy
Ian..

Just go the thread and go up to "favorites" and then click "add to favorites". Easy fast access that way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.