Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom hauler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I saw this on the samba. The guy is here local by LBJ and Marsh lane. I thought it would be fun but I can get an enclosed trailer for what he wants.
Series9
How much? I need that.
spare time toys
$4700 I can give you his phone number if you want it.
Flat VW
Kuhl,
John
scotty b
blink.gif Wouldn't you need one of those $19,000 engines to move that thing with a car on it? Oh crap now I've done did it biggrin.gif Seriously though......What size is in it? 4 or 6 or 8?
Series9
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Nov 29 2005, 06:08 PM)
$4700 I can give you his phone number if you want it.

No, you're right, that's too much.
spare time toys
QUOTE (scotty b @ Nov 29 2005, 08:11 PM)
blink.gif Wouldn't you need one of those $19,000 engines to move that thing with a car on it? Oh crap now I've done did it biggrin.gif Seriously though......What size is in it? 4 or 6 or 8?

It has a 4 hanging behind the back axel. The center axel is a bus front suspension welded so it doesnt turn. I was looking at another bus crew cab as a tow vehicle when I saw this.
nomore9one4
It is cool though!! beer.gif
Aaron Cox
what would you tow with that? a type1 couldnt get out of its own way....

big torquey type4? big stroke 6?
boxstr
Hers what you really want wink.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (boxstr @ Nov 29 2005, 09:10 PM)
Hers what you really want wink.gif

IIII KNOOOOWWW drooley.gif Just Southwest doesnt have enough overtime for that and if I parked that next to the shop the crab ass next door would probably blow me into the home owner assholeseeation flipa.gif
URY914
wink.gif
URY914
wink.gif wink.gif
URY914
wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
spare time toys
Where did you find that last picture?
URY914
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Nov 29 2005, 06:31 PM)
Where did you find that last picture?

I down loaded it back in April from somewhere. Probably Samba. confused24.gif
Mark Henry
Just thought I'd add my rig to this thread. Who ever thought a T1 engine couldn't be built to haul this can kiss my bootyshake.gif
This fall drove 50 miles up to my mums to put the teen in storage for the winter.
I like the haulers...but it would be fairly useless to me most of the time.
jmill
I had a 63 Kombi that would do bunny hops. It was a serious stump puller with the reduction boxes. Most folks don't know that the old buses have reduction gears hanging off the rear axels. After I broke 2 axels I bought the Bus Boys reduction box elimination kit and tossed in a Type I trans. It would do 110 mph no sweat.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 30 2008, 01:30 PM) *
It would do 110 mph no sweat.

Hell!

I don't like to do more than 110 Kph (>70mph) in a bus! blink.gif I don't have a deathwish.

Good luck with that.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 30 2008, 10:30 AM) *

I had a 63 Kombi that would do bunny hops. It was a serious stump puller with the reduction boxes. Most folks don't know that the old buses have reduction gears hanging off the rear axels. After I broke 2 axels I bought the Bus Boys reduction box elimination kit and tossed in a Type I trans. It would do 110 mph no sweat.

The Thunderbus, a '73 Bay with a 160HP 2.4 911 motor and 914 gearing. I saw 90 once, and it scared the p*ss outta me. 110 with a VW engine? I doubt it. It's against the laws. The laws of physics, that is ..................

The Cap'n
r_towle
Its an aerodynamically challenged vehicle.
All the motor you can put in there and its still a square box cutting through the air...

My Eurovan does hold 90 all day long and the turbo diesel EV we had in Germany topped out, down hill, tail wind, autobahn, etc at 100mph...but it would not hold that speed...90 is about the wall for that body style.

I would be quite happy to hit 70 in a hauler with no major issues going up hills on the highway..
Around town shifting is why transmissions were created.

While I have been thinking about doing one of these haulers for a long time...I keep looking at using a Eurovan for the base...just cause the motor is up front...I could do anything in the rear in a simple fashion.

Ideally I would like to find a dead rialta motorhome and gut that yet keep the box on the back...

One more very very cool bed I have seen for the Eurovan is only available in Europe, but made in Australia...it drops the entire floor between the rear wheels right down on the ground...
Mainly used for shipping, but wouldnt that be cool...drive the car on/into the back and then lift up the floor...
That is available at junk yards in Europe..I alreadt found a few...lol

Rich
jmill
I'm not saying that the 63 is slippery but it's alot better than a 73. I'll give you a little more info on the bus. It had a Bus Boys select-a-drop front suspension with a 3/4 inch sway bar. It also had an Empi rear bar. It was lowered over 6 inches front and rear. It had a bored and stroked Type I engine over 2 liters with 44 Webers. The heads were welded with relocated plugs and chevy 2.02's. With dual springs and cw crank redline was 8000 rpm. With the highway hauler Type III trans it was a fast machine. Doubt all you want. I wont lose any sleep.
LS6/914
If ya really want different I can build another Caddy-Hauler welder.gif
Eric_Shea
It would do 110 mph no sweat

With Alph driving it maybe...
Leo Imperial
This was down hill with a tail wind and it was sketchy. Check out the odometer biggrin.gif
jmill
I don't doubt that your bus couldn't do it. Mine was a bit different than yours. I built it pre digital cameras and I wasn't into documenting a build at the time. Here's two of the 3 polaroids I have of it.

jmill
Here's a picture of one of the heads. FYI that's a chevy 2.02 you see there on the intake. You can kinda tell they had a little work done to them. They aren't your garden variety 041 or 044.
914rrr
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 30 2008, 01:46 PM) *

The Thunderbus, a '73 Bay with a 160HP 2.4 911 motor and 914 gearing. I saw 90 once, and it scared the p*ss outta me. 110 with a VW engine? I doubt it. It's against the laws. The laws of physics, that is ..................

The Cap'n

Looky here, early splitty bus video might change your mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjkVVzFBPQY
HCRDAN
how about this for a cool hauler....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4&viewitem=
Eric_Shea
That is "way" cool except for the stupid Tonka decals...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(HCRDAN @ Nov 6 2008, 08:33 AM) *

Now that is very cool...and back on topic smile.gif
rick 918-S
So, That could be done with a V6 front drive unit from a Passat. Add a turbo and slip it under a single or double cab. idea.gif
Eric_Shea
Double cab... Mmmmmmmmm
zambezi
QUOTE(914rrr @ Nov 6 2008, 03:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 30 2008, 01:46 PM) *

The Cap'n

Looky here, early splitty bus video might change your mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjkVVzFBPQY

Heres an old VW van that "hauls" pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powVngJ-Ljc
spare time toys
Or a ford van?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1t6E0X11D0&NR=1
r_towle
I can play...
522 PS or 514 HP

http://tunertrader.vidiac.com/video/a5b384...8210018bdca.htm

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.