Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumble Bee on EBay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Check out this auction. Link

Anytime I see a 1974 Black 914, I think LE. I noticed the auction and that the seller has a second auction with more photos of the car. Link 2The black painted sail panel jumped out at me. Front spoiler is missing, wrong wheels and bumpers, but hey, those things got changed and can be changed back.

Anyone near West Chester Ohio to give it a look see?
gregrobbins
Photo from the auction
dflesburg
I work near this car. I sent the seller a message requesting that I see it tomorrow.

If I do get to, I will post here asap for all concerned, unless its cherry and I buy it for myself...

A Cherry 914 in Ohio... at an apartment building no less .... LOL smash.gif
gregrobbins
I am sure you already know what to look for, but just in case:

1. The VIN number

2. The body badge on the front of the driver's door jam, production date, paint code.

3. DOT sticker at the back of the driver's door jam.

4. Look for signs of yellow paint in the rockers and rear valance.

If it is cherry and you buy it, you owe me a beer.gif . Thanks for checking it out.
JeffBowlsby
This just in from the seller via PM:

THE LAST 5 ARE: 14783

The wheels maybe yellow, but Empis are wrong for an LE. The chrome bumpers are wrong for an LE....but the VIN is CORRECT, its in the range of known 914 LE Bumblebees.

When you go to see this car, other than the condition, see if it has:

Grey headlight relay covers
Yellow on the side valences (at chips)
Is the black original or a color change?
Holes (or better the lack) in the rear wheel wells for the lower targa trim piece.
Mahles wheels anywhere?
Original front spoiler?

Please also get and post all the numbers from the drivers door jamb front and rear labels.

smile.gif

smooth_eddy
I could swear I saw some Olympic Blue in 2 of the pictures. Eddy
JeffBowlsby
I missed this before, but look at the thin flat sheet metal tab mounted to the front T-bar mount caps. If I am not mistaken, that could very well be one of two mounting brackets for the original LE front spoiler. The LE cars are the only cars that have those from the factory. They are bolted under the T-Bar caps, so when the fiberglas spoiler gets ruined they pull off the remains, but leave the brackets.

Porsche Rescue
Hi-jack, update for Jeff. This thread reminded me of the Creamsicle I found stored in the basement of a shop in Tacoma, WA. It has been there for years. I saw it about a year and a half ago while looking at a 356 which was also stored there. Asked shop owner twice to see if the owner would sell and got no response. Called the shop yesterday and this time I was able to get the owner's name and phone #. Reached a dental office and the receptionist said she would ask the Dr. No response yet, but now I know who to harrass.
dflesburg
I am going at lunch to check it out. Will post after that.
nomore9one4
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Nov 30 2005, 07:06 PM)
I am sure you already know what to look for, but just in case:

1. The VIN number

2. The body badge on the front of the driver's door jam, production date, paint code.

3. DOT sticker at the back of the driver's door jam.

4. Look for signs of yellow paint in the rockers and rear valance.

If it is cherry and you buy it, you owe me a beer.gif . Thanks for checking it out.

I think if he buys it he should buy everyone a beer.gif .Thanks drunk.gif
John
I think if he buys it he should buy everyone a

Don't worry, he would never buy it. His wife would kill him and he would have to find a place to store a car somewhere.

I bet the car is junk.
dflesburg
I just got back.

John, your right about getting killed, and this would have been a great car too.

The girl that owns it paid $6550 for it last year. All serial numbers are the same 4742914783 paint code is L041

door jam sticker still there, (painted around).

Cowl rubbers channels are bondo'd over and painted over.

Missing windshield trim.

Yes those brackets someone asked about are there. No other parts exist.

Interior in poor condtion but used to be nice (recently ).

It has been repainted, it was a great car before she wrecked it several times.

There is incredible damage to the floor of the front trunk and passenger compartment.

The car doesnt look straight

Strangely, there is no rust in the engine bay.

The car is carb'd.

There is a little rust behind the drivers seat but only on the inside.

The damage to the back end is worse than it looks in the pics, the passenger fender is pulled tight and the drivers side is buckled out.

The car does not sag. She was a big girl and I had her get in the passenger seat, close the door and open it. The gap didn't move at all.

The only rust hole I could find was in the passenger side front fender.

The rear trunk lid is folded over.

Tail light destroyed.

The passenger outside latch doesnt work, there is no rear truck lock, the tranny is broken, the car runs,

No signs of yellow paint.

I would consider buying the car if I could get it for about what its listed for today and I had someplace to keep it until I could
1. have it dipped and
2. pay someone to put it on a stretcher.

It is pretty twisted. It just doesnt look right up and down. But on the other hand there is much less rust than I have seen on a 914 in a long time,

except for Johnman's cars and mine.

So if you want to take it apart and put it on a frame stretcher, then I say its a good car.

So, there is my opinion.
nomore9one4
clap.gif Nicely done! Did the cigar lighter work? J/K Thank you for the info. my brother was considering this one, but we will pass.
gregrobbins
Thanks for checking it out. Pretty good chance it is a Bumble Bee with the VIN and paint code. Too bad it is in such sorry shape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.