Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion CLutch Bolt Torque Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
For a V8 conversion:
What is the proper torque wrench setting for bolting the clutch to the flywheel? The clutch is a 9" KEP. I came from Renegade. The Renegade website does not provide any torque setting information for the clutch bolts.
neo914-6
Nick,

I'm "pretty" sure it's 25 ft lbs.

nick mironov
I called KEP. They said 22 ft-lb minimum up to a maximum of 30 ft-lb for a high-powered engine.
neo914-6
found their email to me:
There is no sequence.

Torque is 25 ft lb.
huh.gif

I thnk I'll use 27 ft lbs. Post some pics Nick! clap.gif
Crazyhippy
Renegade has a phone... Toll free even. (866) 498-2421

25-30ft lbs is the correct range.

BJH
bondo
QUOTE (Glenn.Payne @ Nov 30 2005, 06:39 PM)
Hey folks. New guy here. Some folks from eBay said I should join your board. My opinion on the bolt torque is 60 ft lb. This is the correct Chevy torque. Since it is a Chevy crankshaft and Chevy bolts, this is what I use. Never had a problem. v/r Glenn

They're talking about the clutch to flywheel, not the flywheel to crank.
Glenn.Payne
Damn- I feel stupid. And my first post. I overlooked the word "clutch" and only saw "flywheel". I agree with the others @25-30 ftlb. for the clutch cover or pressure plate. Glenn
bondo
QUOTE (Glenn.Payne @ Nov 30 2005, 06:49 PM)
Damn- I feel stupid. And my first post. I overlooked the word "clutch" and only saw "flywheel".  I agree with the others @25-30 ftlb. for the clutch cover or pressure plate. Glenn

Hehe, at least you get to use the newbie excuse.. I make similar mistakes and I've been here for years! biggrin.gif

Edit: Oh, and Welcome to the insanity!
neo914-6
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Nov 30 2005, 05:16 PM)
Renegade has a phone... Toll free even. (866) 498-2421

25-30ft lbs is the correct range.

BJH

Scott had Dana return my call 2 weeks later... av-943.gif screwy.gif

Welcome Glen, whatcha got? wavey.gif
nick mironov
Word of caution about the torque values. Check the grade of the bolts you are using to make sure that they can take the desired torque. See attached table below. I think that the table is a bit conservative, as I have seen other tables with slightly higher values. The bolts are usually 8mm. The grade should be at least 10.9 and preferably 12.9 to handle anything 22 ft-lb or greater.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.