Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working Slowly in Ohio
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
To set that stage I have posted a picture of my teener in my garage. As can be seen, the car is half on jack stands and my work area is filled with other stuff, like carts, portable fire-place, and yes a snow blower in the background ! Everytime I open the garage door I get a blast of cold air and leaves from the neighbors yard.

Unfortunatly, with all this clutter it has not become the most inviting place to work, however, I am trying to make some progress on fixing my alternator problem.

About three weeks ago I installed a new / rebuilt alternator and when I conected the battery I got sparks and smoke.
dralf
Well, I have performed an "Autopsy" and found the culperate. I have a picture of it posted. It is the nut that holds the wire going to the center of the alternator. I had some time ago read about "JoeClutter's" problem with a bolt being tooooo long and shorting out the alternator and looking back at his posts of the problem, I see where his bolt must have been quite excessive. Well I never dreamed that this one would touch the back cover plate, but it did !

My question to the group is,

Is my alternator TOAST ?

I would think the short was only between the body of the alternator and the positive cable that goes to the starter. I have purchased a new harness just to make sure that any damage done there is eliminated.

I have been thinking about taking the alternator to my FLAPS but then I worry that they my fry it in trying to test it. Any advice ?
SLITS
Take it to a FLAPS (that actually has people who understand cars & the alternator tester) or an alternator rebuilder in your area and have them test it...a short can take out the diodes...... shocked[1].gif

It will save you from pulling it again when you find out it is bad......... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.