Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need some help picking up the 3.6L ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
anybody in the greater bay area who got a pickup truck and some spare time this weekend (sat. most likely) ???

i have to pick up my new 3.6L engine from JW and some spare parts from Bill P. and then haul the engine up to napa and drop it off at McMark's shop ...

i'll pay you gas-money and supply beer and buy you dinner!

otherwise, i'll have to rent a truck, but then i'll still need help hauling that monster around.
can't lift it myself, you know ...

HELP!

pray.gif Andy
Flat VW
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 30 2005, 04:04 PM)
anybody in the greater bay area who got a pickup truck and some spare time this weekend (sat. most likely) ???

i have to pick up my new 3.6L engine from JW and some spare parts from Bill P. and then haul the engine up to napa and drop it off at McMark's shop ...

i'll pay you gas-money and supply beer and buy you dinner!

otherwise, i'll have to rent a truck, but i'll still need help hauling that monster around.
can't lift it myself, you know ...

HELP!

pray.gif Andy

alright Andy! smilie_pokal.gif

3.6 should be enough?

John
lapuwali
Hm...I wonder if the 3.6 would fit in the back of a Squareback? I wonder if a 3.6 would fit IN a Squareback (oooohhhh)....I can help, if so...

I even know where Bill lives, and have picked up an engine from him...

Do you have a shop crane, Andy? Bill does, and I do, but that doesn't help you much.
McMark
BTW, I'm not sure I'll be much help lifting it out of the truck after my recent injury. pinch.gif
Dave_Darling
I don't have a truck, but I can help lift and haul. But not on Saturday. Friday and Sunday, OK. (Most weekdays are OK, too...)

--DD
SirAndy
thanks guys !!!

i don't know how heavy that sucker is, but i think i'll need at least 3 people to lift it.
it is supposedly on a pallet. JW probably has a lift, but i will need help to get it off the truck at McMark's ...

boldblue.gif Andy
lapuwali
Sat or Sun for me, not Fri. If we have Dave's help, that's three (not including McMark). I'd venture a 3.6 is going to be near 400lbs, so three guys at least.
GTeener
I happen to already be hauling GTeener to Brandon (Mark's painting partner) on Saturday.

We have an 18' trailer but there probably isn't room for both engine & car.

We're pulling with an Excuursion. Might it fit in the back without making a mess of the interior (lots of heavy duty tarps) ?

If so, I can let Brandon know that we'll be coming up later than I told him (noon-ish).
McMark
Brandon and I lifted the other 3.6 up and out of my Civic by ourselves. I don't remember it being that much heavier than any other six engine... 350 lbs. I'm definitly available to cheerlead though. biggrin.gif
mikey
Andy,

Sounds like you might already have this covered, but I have a van and I'm free on Saturday (afternoon/evening only) but not on Sunday.

fiid
It'd probably fit in the back of our Subaru wagon in a pinch. Let me know if you are still in need of a vehicle and we'll make it happen.
Leo Imperial
Andy,

I can do it sat or sun. I have room for all of it in my truck.
Give me a call if you need my help. If any parts don't fit inside
I have a basket on top.

Leo
McMark
Put the 3.6 on top. lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
GTeener
Well if it fits in a Subaru & a Civic, it will definitley fit in an Excursion.

Like I said, I'm going there on Saturday already with my Dad, there should be plenty of room more.
SirAndy
Bill P. is going to talk to JW today, so i'll know more about the schedule later tonight ...

i'm sooooooo excited!
boldblue.gif Andy
lapuwali
The Squareback is available, and I don't care about getting oil and whatnot in the back. I'd not use the Excursion just because of this. However, the extra hands at McMark's will be useful. If the timing works out, Leo's truck would be better still...
GTeener
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Dec 1 2005, 10:47 AM)
The Squareback is available, and I don't care about getting oil and whatnot in the back. I'd not use the Excursion just because of this. However, the extra hands at McMark's will be useful. If the timing works out, Leo's truck would be better still...

A pick-up truck is ideal, but one vehicle instead of 2 seems more efficient. Andy got his answer...plenty of help options available to choose between. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Dec 1 2005, 11:47 AM)
truck would be better still...

yes, from my understanding, the engine is strapped to a wooden pallet ...

would be easier to move *with* the pallet, well, at least to get it in/on a truck at JW as i assume they have a pallet-pick-up-gizmo (whatchumacallit????) ...
forklift! yes, that's the word i was looking for ...

smash.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Oops, I'm out on Sunday! sad.gif Too much stuff going on during the weekends. I may be able to shake some time free on Saturday, but it sounds like that's the day that is likliest anyway.

Hmm... I have to check the schedule better. Anyway, can one assume that the GTeener-hauler will come back down to the South Bay after the trip to Napa is done? Any ideas on a time frame? (Yeah, I know that partly depends on JWs schedule.)

--DD
GTeener
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Dec 1 2005, 02:11 PM)
Oops, I'm out on Sunday! sad.gif Too much stuff going on during the weekends. I may be able to shake some time free on Saturday, but it sounds like that's the day that is likliest anyway.

Hmm... I have to check the schedule better. Anyway, can one assume that the GTeener-hauler will come back down to the South Bay after the trip to Napa is done? Any ideas on a time frame? (Yeah, I know that partly depends on JWs schedule.)

--DD

Hey Dave wavey.gif

You are more than welcome to ride along in the GTeener-hauler if Andy chooses to accept my transportation offer.

I think he's holding out for a pick-up truck offer though confused24.gif

And yes, we will be returning to the Pennisula afterwards.
SirAndy
QUOTE (GTeener @ Dec 1 2005, 03:53 PM)
I think he's holding out for a pick-up truck offer though confused24.gif

still waiting for the final schedule announcement ...

in the meantime, thanks for the offer!
grouphug.gif Andy
GTeener
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 1 2005, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (GTeener @ Dec 1 2005, 03:53 PM)
I think he's holding out for a pick-up truck offer though  :confused:

in the meantime, thanks for the offer!
grouphug.gif Andy

OK. I PMed ya with my phone #.
SirAndy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 1 2005, 04:21 PM)

ok, Bill P. talked to JW and the engine pickup is moved to next thursday (dec. 8th), during normal business hours ...

soo, i'm thinking maybe late morning/noonish ...

they have a fork-lift and the engine will be on a pallet ...

any volunteers/helping hands/spectators ???
boldblue.gif Andy
Leo Imperial
I should be able to help.
I was able to fit a 1.8 with room for a second.
1.8 x 2 = 3.6 wink.gif
GTeener
No can do on the 8th. Sorry.
Dave_Darling
I'll be there, but I don't have a vehicle that can transport the engine. I'll help lift and haul, though.

--DD
J P Stein
All right Andy !!
Only 7 months till the WWC. We'll expect progress pics. biggrin.gif
shoguneagle
smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif givemebeer.gif Hi Andy,

I will bring my pickup from Flagstaff, and take the 3.6 back there for storage and my use. I know you will not get the conversion done by next summer. By letting me take care of it, I will be saving you a lot of problems, problems, problems, etc.

Just kidding!! Wish I was there to help you. Glad to see you are finally making the conversion. Will be a joy to follow along as you progress. Please develop a thread so we can enjoy your problems etc.

I just picked up a rolling chassis 914-6GT and would consider putting a 3.6 in it.

Questions: fitting of engine between rear suspension mounting points, transmission used, etc.

Glad you are doing it.

I still owe you a lunch next time I am in Santa Clara/Bay Area. I need to pick up a 220 gal fuel cell and get a hydraulic ram rebuilt.

See Ya,

Steve Hurt
Shoguneagle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.