Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ford conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zainman
Does anyone have pics of a Ford v8 conversion? I'm going to do this conversion so don't try and make me do a Chevy.
shaggy
351?

289?

302?

428? biggrin.gif

what are you putting in?
jd74914
No pics but I have heard of one with a 289.
Eric_Shea
Everyone chant "SHO, SHO, SHO..."

I'd love to see a SHO motor in a teener. I swear, one of the best motors I've ever owned.
andys
Here is just one of several threads on the SBF in a 914. I did a lot of measuring, etc as well.

Andys

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...&t=33997&hl=sbf
Rand
I have fond memories of a 351 Windsor.... Great motor. Ran super strong for 200k miles. I only wish it was in a 914!

IIRC, the dimensions make it a bit more of a fitment challenge. I think it's longer and requires some firewall work?

Of course anything is doable. It will just take more custom work. The SBC is a lot easier because of the all the aftermarket kit parts.
dflesburg
I think the engine from my '03 Cobra would be best
bondo
Here's a ford powered 914.
Mueller
QUOTE (zainman @ Nov 30 2005, 07:23 PM)
Does anyone have pics of a Ford v8 conversion? I'm going to do this conversion so don't try and make me do a Chevy.

looks the same as a Chevy install except for the distributor being on the front of the motor smile.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 1 2005, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (zainman @ Nov 30 2005, 07:23 PM)

looks the same as a Chevy install except for the distributor being on the front of the motor smile.gif

Not if youuse a new 5.0 with efi Crankfire IIRC idea.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Nov 30 2005, 06:41 PM)
Everyone chant "SHO, SHO, SHO..."

I'd love to see a SHO motor in a teener. I swear, one of the best motors I've ever owned.

Tried the high output taurus motor from 2002... it was WAY to tall, stuck through the decklid, not just the trunk floor too tall...

Then there's all the damned sensors... ever tried to install a fuel tank temperature sensor?? headbang.gif headbang.gif screwy.gif

BJH
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (Rand @ Nov 30 2005, 08:05 PM)
I have fond memories of a 351 Windsor.... Great motor. Ran super strong for 200k miles. I only wish it was in a 914!

IIRC, the dimensions make it a bit more of a fitment challenge. I think it's longer and requires some firewall work?

Of course anything is doable. It will just take more custom work. The SBC is a lot easier because of the all the aftermarket kit parts.

The motor itself is roughly the same size... it's the waterpump/timing cover BS that adds so much length. Very do able conversion, but takes some high end fabrication on the front of the motor.

Might also have issues w/ distributor clearance??? confused24.gif

BJH
zainman
The engine will be a 91 5.0 from a Mustang LX, and I just happen to have at my disposal some Cobra parts, intake and heads. I took a look at the pics of the can am style 914 from Sean, but I still can't tell if there is a clearance problem with the distributor. I think he said it has a dist. I noticed his pics were from last year, has he finished the car.
andys
QUOTE (Crazyhippy @ Dec 1 2005, 11:24 AM)

The motor itself is roughly the same size... it's the waterpump/timing cover BS that adds so much length. Very do able conversion, but takes some high end fabrication on the front of the motor.

Might also have issues w/ distributor clearance??? confused24.gif

BJH

BJH has got it right. Fabrication of either a special cover, or custom water inlets is required IF you don't cut into the firewall. As for the distributor, you can use a late model Explorer motor with the EEC-V distributorless ignition. If you cut into the firewall, and make a sheetmetal cover, then I would think you could make it fit quite well. There was a 5.0 914 for sale in SoCal about two years ago. I have comparative dimensions of a SBF, SBC, and LS1 motors at the office.

Andys
zainman
914 will be coming next week to my house, have to make room in the garage. It's a 72 that has been in storage for 20 years, when I get it here I'll start to take some pics and hopefully figure out how to post them
Rand
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 1 2005, 08:18 AM)
Here's a ford powered 914.

Hmm... That car is in Coos Bay Oregon... I lived there for 15 years before moving to Seattle.

Hey Sean!! I sent you a PM. Are you still on the board?
Eric_Shea
Tried the high output taurus motor from 2002...

I was thinking the 6 not the 8. I was never a big fan of the 8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.