Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Club members in PA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
Anyone in West Chester area that could take a look at this car, Ebay PA Car.
ArtechnikA
check the seller's feedback and you'l see thar car "sold" OCt 6 for $4450 (it was Item 4578666302 then). buyer had feedback of 1 so maybe he flaked...

i can possibly go; email (not PM, pls) me.
Kerry would be closer...

a '75 must meet PA smog inspection but i don't know the applicable standards - my '71 is exempt...
JerryP
I think I know where that car is. I'm about 15 minutes from there. I wish I'd seen this yesterday as I was in West Chester all morning. Just emailed the guy to confirm the location.
JerryP
Just heard from the guy. I drove right past it yesterday. I may be out there this afternoon for work though. I'll try to stop and see it.
Kerrys914
I can go with you on Friday,Sat, or Sun if you like..

I have seen it in e-bay a few times.. Not sure what is going on with it.
JerryP
Okay.....I just spent about an hour driving the car and talking to the owner....if you're still interested. Even took some photos. You still out there?
nomore9one4
Jerry, I am very interested in this car. Any info would be fantastic! Thank you! pray.gif Bob Boboli914@att.net
JerryP
Here we go.

Owner: Seems like a nice enough guy. He sees me lay down on the floor with my flashlight and screwdriver and immediately offers me a drop light and a floor jack.

The car: is pretty much as described in the ad. I do not doubt that the previous owner raced this car. Cosmetically it is not "great" but presentable with a cheaper respray over some dings and patches but from what I could see, there is not alot of visible rust and there are some goodies. My only concern would be that the owner has never removed the outer rockers in the 2 years he's had it. As there were about 20 screws holding each one on, I didn't remove them. Door gaps were ok. Work has been done on the floor pans with signs of welding and a Por-15 like substance on other parts of the car. Battery tray has been replaced and work has been done on the suspension console. It may have been completely replaced. No rollers for the trunk hinges and tire change is imminent.

"Runs very strong"......I'd have to agree with that. I've only driven probably 10 or 15 different 914s so I'm not an expert but this one runs as strong as any of the ones I remember, including my current one and at 4500rpm, the motor itself makes the sound I've been hoping mine would make for 2 years. Monza exhaust...eh.

"Car does not leak oil".....It leaks a little bit of something on the passenger side near the rear tire after being run for a while. Not bad but I saw a few visible drops. I tried to see where it originated but wasn't sure as the light was not great and this car is lowered.

New fuel pump(holley in front trunk) and rebuilt carbs were done by a shop near where the owner works which does specialize in german cars. From my amateur eye, it looked to be clean and a decent job. I have D-Jet in mine and am not a carb expert but the Webers appeared to be dialed in correctly. The car started right up, felt tight and performed very well by my standards. Yours may be different. Brakes worked well....and I tested them. I guess I can see how a porsche expert or purist might say the work done was slapped together or half-assed, but I am neither of those things and the car was fun to drive.

Goodies: front sway bar, SS lines, external oil cooler, short shift kit, nice seats. All smog stuff is gone. Owner says car did pass PA emissions. Looks like a few other things also that you guys may have to help me with as I'm not sure exactly what they are. You'll see in the pictures.

The skinny: If you want a really nice stock porsche to invest in and gloat about as it sits in your parking lot at work....this is not, and will never be your car. If you want a chick magnet....this is not your car. If you are secure in your manhood and want a fun runner with lots of little odds and ends to be done while you drive it, this may work for you.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff so let me know if you have any questions.

P.S I am very far from a real mechanic so you may want a second opinion. Caveat Emptor.

JerryP
battery tray
JerryP
fuel pump
JerryP
territorial markings
JerryP
lowered front end
JerryP
left side engine bay
JerryP
engine bay
JerryP
I lightened up the battery tray photo.
Allan
Looks like a fairly clean car.

I was looking at the sellers feedback and noticed that he or she paid $900.00 for an X Box core system. blink.gif
nomore9one4
Thanks a million Jerry! You were a huge help smilie_pokal.gif Do you think the car is worth $3000 confused24.gif Thank you so much for your time! flag.gif
JerryP
I know things are a little different on the West Coast but to get a strong running 2.0 that stops and doesn't have alot of obvious rust issues on East Coast is not terribly easy at that price.

I wouldn't hawk another guy's car in this situation but I, personally, would(barring any major issues I may have missed) bid 3k on it if you guys weren't interested. This is not a perfect car cosmetically but its not a complete disgrace either. I enjoyed driving it and 3k doesn't get you a concourse winner here on the east coast.

Some other local club guys who are smarter than me may have different opinions about the car and since you have a few days left(unless someone uses the buy it now) you may want a second opinion. I'd be curious to see what someone else thinks myself.

wilchek
I am in the area and would love to check it out if I get some time this weekend. Jerry can you PM with a general idea as to where the cars is so I can gage if I can make time to get there this weekend. Kerry 914 let me know if you want to check it out this weekend. This must be near you.
RD Evans
Thanks for taking a look and for the excellent write up. Sounds like it would make a good car for someone. Wish it wasn't so far from central Texas.
nomore9one4
I am considering a $3000 bid.I will know better tomorrow.I will however step aside if others are interested.It's just there is not alot this close to home and to pay $1000 plus just to ship from the west is just crazy."Time will tell" Thanks
Dead Air
QUOTE (JerryP @ Dec 1 2005, 03:05 PM)
Here we go.
I'm sure I forgot some stuff so let me know if you have any questions.
Caveat Emptor.

[QUOTE]

Here's a dumb question.
Is it a 2.0, for sure?
JerryP
You know...that's not so dumb as we got to yapping and I forgot to check the bolt pattern headbang.gif . If that's not a 2.0, however, then there is something seriously wrong with my 2.0 because this motor ran stronger. In fact, I wondered if it had a big bore kit but forgot to ask that too. I would be shocked to find it was less than 2.0.
FB914
I'm in West Chester and could check the car out, let me know if you'd like me to

Frank B
nomore9one4
Jerry, One last question from me...How far is this car from Pittsburgh? Roughly! Thanks again for your time.Bob pray.gif
JerryP
Well, it usually takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours to get to Johnstown from here and about 5+- straight through to Pittsburgh....depending on traffic and such. Owner said he drove the car to here from Ohio.
nomore9one4
Thanks Jerry. 5 hours is what I was guessing. Its good to know the car made it to Ohio but in this cold it will be sitting on a trailor and I will be sitting in a nice warm truck cab! Hopefully not yellowsleep[1].gif
Kerrys914
I can put it in my garage for you if you need a week or so to get things inorder.

PM me and I can give you my details/address/numbers

Looks like a solid car beer.gif
nomore9one4
Excellent! Thanks Kerry. If we end up getting it I may take you up on that! Many,many Thanks! flag.gif
Dr Evil
Kerry, yer such a pal biggrin.gif
nomore9one4
Did anyone else get time to check the car out? Just thought I would check. Thanks again to all for their time! beerchug.gif
wilchek
Did someone here use the buy it now. Seemed like a solid car for the east coast
nomore9one4
Looks like someone bought it up! They got a pretty good deal!
JerryP
I had a feeling that might happen. Sorry you didn't get it boboli914 but there will be others. I wonder if it was someone else around here.
nomore9one4
Thanks again for your assisitance Jerry. This guy was willing to spend more money than I headbang.gif . I was alittle hesitant about not knowing what was under those rocker covers too. When I bought my 72' the guy assured me they where in great shape. Little did I know there where NO jack points,they were rusted off! This is our year to go to Hershey,so we may make arrangements to find some potential cars there.Good day! flag.gif
VaccaRabite
I'd love to have my 914 drivable by Hershey, seeing as how it is right up the road from me. But I highly doubt that is goig to happen.

Zach
JerryP
You're welcome. BTDT(actually still doing it on my '74) with the rusty long nightmare. I'll keep my eyes open. Hope to see you at Hershey.
Dr Evil
When is the Hershey swap? I hope to have my car asssembled by then as well. Heck, I could push it there if I had to, its like 5 miles away from me. wink.gif

Boboli914, if I can offer some help here locally just let me know.
wilchek
hershey swap is put on by these guys. Normally a good time. It was a little weak this year due to the parade coming to Hershey a month later and ebay.

http://www.centralpaporsche.org/

Dr.Evil did you find someone to weld that oil cooler up for you. I hope you are enjoying our fine weather. I put my car out of the heated garage for two hours the other day and it barely started. With this weather, bypass the oilcooler and drive her.
Dr Evil
Hey man,
Ya, I got the cooler fixed, but since I do not have any heat in my car I am not interested in getting it running right now. That and the fact that I do not have any heat in my garage. On a /6 you really can not bypass the oil cooler as it is integral to the engine. I have been busy fixing my MBZ and my toyota.

What did ebay have to do with the swap?
wilchek
Glad to hear you got the car almost up and running. A lot of people have been selling parts on ebay because they can get more money due to ebay fever. A lot of the parts at the swap were mostly unusable. The cold can be tough in this area. I spend most of the next three months fixing all the things I wanted to do on my car. Buying a $20 space heater at the Depot can make it possible to work on the car over the next three months. I know it helps me keep sane in the winter months. Hope the MD thing is not kicking too much of your ass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.