Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Seattle adventure to meet Korijo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I arrived back in Orlando pretty darned tired last night (although I did manager to throw in a few posts).

Here are some pics I placed on my website of my vacation.

http://www.my914-6.com/pics/Seattle/index.htm

My trip to Seattle to meet Dave (Korijo) Cawdrey and his family and the many cool 914 guys in Seattle was really fun.

Friday I met Geoff Bartelmes (Bleyseng) at myt hotel and we proceded to Pike's Place Market to see the flying fish mongers, examine all the fresh produce and flowers and pick up a few gifts for my family. We picked up a fresh sockeye salmon ($4.99 a pound) for dinner. Then it was off to meet and pick up his girfriend Monique for more sightseeing.

We had a leisurely drive around the city for the "sights" and headed towards Alki Beach for lunch at Duke's (great chowder). We saw a few orange 914s on the way parked at someone's house.

Then we went to the Seattle Center, home of the Space Needle and EMP (Experience Music Project). We shot up to the top of the needle (Monique's first trip as well) for fabulous view of the city and to hock a couple of loogies at innocent people below... just kidding.

After walking a bit and buying more souvenirs, we headed back to Monique's place for dinner via some scenic roads (everything in Seattle was scenic compared to Orlando). An incredible dinner was whipped up (Geoff cooked the salmon, and we had fresh sauted veggies and pesto linguinie). Monique has a cool cat named Shabu-Shabu who became my new friend.

Saturday morning I was greeted early by Geoff to head off to the John Walker Workshop swap meet where I got to meet Dave (Korijo) for the first time. We also met Craig Laughlin (of CAMP 914 fame), RustyWA, Kevin Powers (Rhodyguy), Roger (Reverie), Chris Reale, John Kelly, David Hunt, Rich Dauenhauer, another Chris (he has a fast 1.7), and a few others that escape me at the moment. The turnout was great and deals were to be had and suckers were present (not really).

Next, we headed off to Dave's place to meet John Kelly for the metal shaper's workshop. About 10 of us showed up and John showed us the ropes. Within 10 minutes he handed four guys hammers and shotbags and we started beating the crap out of Korijo's car. We were a bit hesitant to start, but we soon learned that it's fun to make dents in other people's 914s. The first group of people stayed a good 4-5 hours and we called it a night. After many hours of swinging hammers, many of us had "Popeye" arms.

Dave Hunt drove me around in his Megasquirt-powered 914 for a cheap thrill on Seattle's twisties and great views of Puget Sound via Golden Shores beach. Then it was back to my hotel for me for a much-needed rest.

Sunday morning I was called by the front desk of the hotel (30 minutes early while still in the shower) to inform me that Kevin (Rhodyguy) was waiting for me... bastart! After a brief drive through the yet another scenic route in Seattle we ended up at Dave's garage again to see who decided to show back up. John Kelly arrived and we whacked away at Dave's car some more. Dave treated us to some lunch at Mad Pizza and we spent some time hanging out with his kids Keone, Eli, and Dave's wife Kori. They are such a wonderful family. I'm glad we're all able to help them with the van project because they really need it.

John Kelly took me back home and showed us the special monument that the city of Seattle built in his honor under one of the bridges (see my photos). I think it's a remarkable resemblence of John if I do say so myself!

Sunday evening, I had dinner with Geoff, Monique, and their friend Noreen. Jerk chicken, fried plantians with peanut sauce, sauted Kale, and rice and peas were part of the feast. To top it all off, an upside-down fruit cobbler made from berries and fruit picked from wild bushes down the street filled every crack and crevice in my tummy. Of course I had a second helping....

Back to the hotel, only to have to wake up at 5:30 am to catch my flight back home.

All I can say is WOW. I had a really wonderful time in Seattle. The 914club guys I met up there were SO nice and friendly and just a blast to hang out with. Great conversations were had with everyone... good comraderie, and just a darn good time was had by all.

Best of all, I got to hang out with Dave (Korijo) Cawdrey and his family.

I'm sure most of you all know that Korijo is battling ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). It's a disease that slowly destroys your Central Nervous System and starts slowly erroding your neuro-muscular control from your extremities inwards. Dave already is fairly advanced with his disease. He mostly uses his wheelchair for getting around, but can still stand and walk for brief periods. He is quite fatigued at times. He is starting to fall down pretty frequently so he is confining himself to his chair more often than not. In fact, he drove his chair from his apartment to the swap meet several miles up the hilly streets of Seattle. His Van will be of really big help for his family's mobility. smilie_rolli_1.gif

I never knew Dave before he was diagnosed with his disease, but several of the 914club members tell me that his ALS has really had an impact on his ability to walk and move just over the past 9 months alone. Nine months ago he was turning wrenches on his car, and now Dave has difficulty doing many daily tasks we take for granted. He does receive some therapies and massage to ease the pain and work on his muscular flexibility and is on quite a bit of medication to boost his quality of life... even some extra special medicine.

The wonderful thing about Dave is that he is always smiling and has a really great spirit He was happy to meet and talk with people at the swap meet and was quite the used parts salesman. It was great to see the excitement in his eyes as he checked out the progress on his car's flares. I recall hearing "F-ing awesome!" quite a few times. In addition, it's wonderful to see the love he has for his wife and kids and the beautiful family he and Kori have created.

Dave doesn't like to talk much about his battle with ALS. But I thought some of you should know a little more about what he has to deal with.

In conclusion.. I have many debts to repay for all the kindness shown to me during my trip. I will be more than happy to return the favor by entertaining any of my new friends that would like to visit Central Florida. I hope to get together with everyone again sometime soon.

The rest of you 914club guys (left coasters) need to plan on attending a future John Kelly workshop in Seattle and learn the fine art of metal shaping using hand tools. And hang out with Dave and give him some noogies!

http://www.my914-6.com/pics/Seattle/index.htm

Regards,

Karl
Mueller
and hang out with several balding people

damn, Jon Watts and I would have fit right in...LOL

Great story, made me wish I went sad.gif
drew365
Nice write up Karl. Thanks for the insight. You didn't mention rain. Are you sure you were in Seattle?
nomore4
Thanks for sharing your trip. now I'm feeling humble and hungry chowtime.gif

joe
TimT
Lighter=faster

Balder=Wiser

finger.gif
ChrisReale
The weather could not have been better for Karl to visit. BTW, it really only rains when GT group is about to run at the PNW PCA AX's mad.gif

Nice write up and pics Karl. It was great to meet you in person. You are a stand up guy, and I am sure dave and his family appreciate all you have done to help. smilie_pokal.gif
DNHunt
Karl

Kudos to you. I for one think your trip was a wonderful gesture of support for Dave and his family. Along with all the effort (money but especially time) people have put into the van I think this is a pretty special group of people. smilie_pokal.gif

Dave
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 19 2003, 06:20 PM)
and hang out with several balding people

damn, Jon Watts and I would have fit right in...LOL

Great story, made me wish I went sad.gif

agree.gif
Bleyseng
Yeah, wish MikeM, Jon Watts, and Brad had made it up as they would fit right in with all the jokers up here. MikeM should have atleast to sell the needle bearings at the swap meet as there are some teener people who don't use the internet and see this club. Maybe send some up so Rhodyguy has something to sell besides his junk collection at the NW swap meets.
You guys did miss out on all the NW beer that was consumed as a pain reliever for "Popeye Arm".

Geoff
Qarl
Yes... many extra special beverages were consumed. Maybe that's why some flares are bigger than others! ha ha!

Karl
John Kelly
Hi Karl,

Great post, just a couple of corrections, I'm not balding, I'm fekin' bald.

That was not a new signal light being tested, it was outside airbag to protect the flare.

The troll is actually modeled after the patron saint of car crushers. Anyone who complains about my car modifications gets sent down for a reality check.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
rhodyguy
karl, before i left we spoke about issues including drews quest. please set the record straight. wink.gif just wait. you guys will all be bald eventually. the question is, will you car be done by then?

kevin
Qarl
Yes... my forehead is constantly growing in size. Grey hairs are finding their way in too!

Yes, my car will be done after I am completely bald as to ensure a good sunburn on my scalp with the targa top off.

Karl
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(kellzey @ Aug 22 2003, 06:38 AM)
Yes... my forehead is constantly growing in size. Grey hairs are finding their way in too!

Yes, my car will be done after I am completely bald as to ensure a good sunburn on my scalp with the targa top off.

Karl

I keep #30 SPF spray on my glovebox to protect my dome
cool.gif
Hey that smilie has hair like me!
Bleyseng
That's why I always have a hat on when the top is off. Damn, you can get a killer sunburn that way!

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.