Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: winter project (maybe)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
double-a
i've got a few months to kill until i need to get the bodywork and paint done on the car, so i got to thinking... what do 4-lug mahles look like all polished up? i've got an unshod spare, why not find out?

now i know why i haven't seen many polished mahles.

here's what a stock wheel looks like with 30 years of crud, curb rash and two or three coats of paint:
double-a
20 (or so) hours later, voila.
double-a
vive la difference.
double-a
mahles are beset with the most wonderful array of pits and casting flaws. sanding the thing down to the point where i could think about polishing took 10 hours or so. still don't know if i'll do the other four wheels, what a job. my fingers are numb, and bleeding.

1. strip paint and grime from wheel
2. 60 grit to get pits and other casting flaws removed
3. dremel 120 grit sanding drum for eight holes, lots of work
4. 100 grit
5. 220 grit
6. 400 grit
7. 800 grit
8. 1000 grit, wet sand x2
9. dremel buffing attachments of various sizes
10. mothers aluminum polish x3

those ribs make it difficult to get all the crud out, so the thing isn't perfect by any means. it looks good from 5 feet, best i can do with what i've got. i think i'd be crazy to do the other four though, it's a lot of work for a cheapo wheel screwy.gif biggrin.gif

~a
jonwatts
It's much less of a cheapo wheel now that it's polished.

So based on your experience would you pay someone else approximately $100 / wheel to do it?

double-a
where do i send the check? it doesn't look terrible, but anyone else would probably do a better job than me anyway, i've never polished anything i my life. until now, that is.

~a
thomasotten
Looks good!
mikey
Looks very nice after the polishing.

Are the 4-lug Mahles aluminum or magnesium? I've been told by a polisher that magnesium needs to be painted because it tarnishes and gets ugly and blotchy if left unpainted.

I'll be using a set of 5-lug magnesium Mahles (Gasburners) on my -6, and wonder if I should attempt this.
SLITS
QUOTE (mikey @ Dec 1 2005, 12:26 AM)
Are the 4-lug Mahles aluminum or magnesium?

Supposedly...

Pedrinis = Cast Aluminum

Mahles = Pressure Cast Aluminum

Fuchs = Forged Aluminum

Your results may vary......................
MecGen
Great Job Man smilie_pokal.gif

Yes I have been there and done that.... blisters.
The wheel shops in my area charge 100$ for a refinish, 175$ for a buff. X5 it gets pricey. I have a blast cabbin, and it still takes at least an hour to clean a rim. The big boys have a more automated set-up....
On my Monte SS, I stayed with sandblast and paint. Too lazy.
Hands down your wheel is greatly improved, and even if you stop at just the spare tire, its a cool personal touch for your car!

+Karma

beer.gif
double-a
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 1 2005, 03:21 AM)
Pedrinis = Cast Aluminum

Mahles = Pressure Cast Aluminum

Fuchs = Forged Aluminum

what's the difference between forged, cast and pressure cast? how are the creation processes different? i have noticed that the fuchs always look very smooth, even after 30 years.

these wheels have gobs of casting crud, which adds many hours of labor.

i have never seen the 5-lug gasburners polished, but i bet it looks incredible.

thanks for the kudos guys. a couple more compliments and i may even do the rest biggrin.gif one question though: can these wheels be blasted smooth?

~a
mudfoot76
Explanation of different metal forming techniques

Section II has some stuff about casting. Hope this helps wink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE (double-a @ Dec 1 2005, 07:57 AM)
what's the difference between forged, cast and pressure cast? how are the creation processes different? i have noticed that the fuchs always look very smooth, even after 30 years.

Cast - - - good strength, grainy (porous) finish, cheapest method

Pressure cast - - - better strength, less grainy finish,

Forged - - - highest strength, fine grain (smooth) finish, most expensive

It all revolves around the cost to make the part, the finish and strength desired..IMO.
double-a
ok, might as well do the other four. i'll need more tools of course rolleyes.gif

dremel contour sander

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.