Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porskee's Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
thomasotten

I decided to start this thread, as a way of keeping organized, and for those who enjoy seeing projects from start to finish. Also, since I am taking photos of the process, every step of the way, I am sure I can benefit from the advice of those who have gone before. I have a few other prequel-threads, but I think since I am now starting the major body work towards the goal of repainting, I will stick with this thread from here on out.

Before I start posting recent photos, let us cast our minds back to the summer of 1991. This is a photo of the car as it looked then. It was taken shortly after I met my wife, then girlfriend. She calls the car "Porskee", her pet name for it. Notice the "whale tail" on the back. Funny, I used to like that silly whaletail! I have become much more of a purist, lately, but not extremely so. I sold that whale tail to somebody, and he has tried over and over to sell it, but he can't give it away! Also, notice the IMSA air dam on the front - something I liked, yet disliked at the same time. It also has these crappy aftermarket mirrors that would never stay in position. The wheels, were one of the first things I added to the car, a few years earlier. I really wanted Fuchs pray.gif , but being in High School at the time, I could not afford them. By the time this photo was taken, I had already converted the brown interior to black, and had the engine rebuilt once.
thomasotten
This is the car as it looks today, 2005. The American Eagle wheels are replaced with Deep Six Fuchs, the whailtail is gone, and the original fron bumper has been restored, and a ltd. edition front spoiler is present. Although it might not be apparent, the car needs a paint job. The top surfaces are faded badly, and the car has been hit several times, so the paint is blended everywhere, and doesn't match. Not a very good job at blending, and not very good body work was done to the panels. The passenger side door has serious waves in it, and the rear quarter's are bondo-heavy.
thomasotten
When I was in 4th and 5th grade I used to draw 914's and 911's all the time. I remember there was a magazine that had a full color spread on the Chalon kit that I used to drool over. But in high school, I think this magazine got me most interested in them again:

thomasotten
I am going for a complete restoration, within reasonable means, or course. I would say the thing that holds me back the most is myself: and I am very picky about what I want. Like for instance, Fuchs had to be the non-highly polished ones.

I also plan on painting this car myself, which has been taking a lot of time in practice. Also, I am short on garage space, which is sometimes frustrating.
thomasotten
Just a couple of shots to get up-to-date. This is what I did last year on the car:
thomasotten
Inner Longitudinal.
thomasotten
Thank God, the major rust repairs are done. That whole console removal and replacement was a very hard experience. Mostly because I didn't do it at my house. At that time, I did not have the garage space to do the repair. So I did it at my Mom's house, which meant that I had to haul tools back and forth, and just spend a lot of time away from my family. If I had to do it again, I would have rather put it on jackstands in the front of my house than to have to do it at someone else's house. Those new seals where damn expensive, BTW.
thomasotten
New coupler installed....
thomasotten
Well, enough of the past. I am now focusing on the body of the car. If I am going to paint this car, one thing that should be done first is replace that cracked windshield.

Note: this is NOT the proper tool to use to remove the molding.
thomasotten
Oddly enough, this large putty knife seemed to help alot.
thomasotten
Got the windshield out - came out real easy once the chrome was off. There was a lot of rust under there though...
thomasotten
holes!
thomasotten
Hod to weld up some holes.
thomasotten
thomasotten
POR-15
thomasotten
POR-15
thomasotten
Now they say the best time to replace the dash-to-windshield bead is when you do the windshield, so I ordered one. I ordered an original, paid close to $100 for it. Guess what they sent me? A repro - notice that it has no metal in it. I won't say who the parts supplier was, but their first initial is A and their last initial is A. Anyway, they refunded me the difference, and the repro seal here is really just fine, although you do have to glue it in.
thomasotten
On to the dash...
thomasotten
Removed the old "foam" from the dash...
thomasotten
rough template...
thomasotten
a lot of cutting, triming.
thomasotten
final form.
thomasotten
I tapered the edges of the foam for smoother edges...
thomasotten
3M Glue
thomasotten
Heavy stuff to keep the vinyl down...
thomasotten
thomasotten
final dash
thomasotten
Well, that's all for tonight.... I'll put some more photos tommorrow.
michelko
Very nice smilie_pokal.gif

keep on posting pics

smilie_flagge6.gif
Jeroen
nice job!
Dead Air
SWEET!

My "seester" lives in Universal City. SA is a nice place!
MJHanna
Nice going you going to leave the windshield out to Paint it? What color are you going to paint it as it looks to be originally GREEN? ohmy.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE (MJHanna @ Dec 1 2005, 05:06 AM)
Nice going you going to leave the windshield out to Paint it? What color are you going to paint it as it looks to be originally GREEN? ohmy.gif

It will be a metallic blue of some sort, but I will be painting all the trunks, and any visible green area. The PO sprayed undercoating to change the color of the trunks - that stuff was a pain to get off.
thomasotten
Starting major body work. I decided to start with the worst area first: Right rear quarter that is caked on with bondo. Why is there a crack here, let's see...
thomasotten
About 1/2" in some areas...
thomasotten
dust everywhere
thomasotten
I always wondered why they rust bubbles here...
thomasotten
Some sort of rubbery material under the metal??
thomasotten
new piece of galvanized metal
thomasotten
thomasotten
Filling in the holes that the dent puller left...
thomasotten
thomasotten
This quarter panel has been a pain... I finally got the panel to look like it should after a lot of beating. Turns out, the upper curved part was pressed doen, and that is why the whole fender was bulging out. I ended up getting it pretty close to where it needed to be, and now this side doesn't look like it was "rolled"...
thomasotten
thomasotten
Most of the panel now only requires a skim coat of filler, rather than the 1/2" that the last guy who fixed it put on...
thomasotten
thomasotten
More pics in a few days... keep posting???
Hammy
Yes keep posting. smile.gif
914helo
Keep posting smilie_pokal.gif Of course, it makes me feel like a lazy bum, but definately keep posting!
michelko
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Dec 4 2005, 08:33 PM)
About 1/2" in some areas...

Hey same as mine, just other colour laugh.gif

Let us see all the picĀ“s of your progress.

smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.