Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remote Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hi Guys:
I bought a remote starter today and the instructions are confusing (to me) as to exactly how to connect this thing correctly/safely (on a 914, anyway).
I think it should connect from the starter solenoid to ground and the ignition switch should be on. Am I correct?
Where exactly on the solenoid (starter) should it connect? Is there a terminal or something? I didn't get a chance to work on the 914 tonight, but will try tomorrow after work. Hopefully, you guys can get me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!
Andy... pray.gif
seanery
Bad news on a manual transmission car IMHO.
anthony
I got a feeling he doesn't mean a radio remote control starter but an extra starter button, for example, mounted inside the engine compartment.
Mueller
I've never used one (I hooked up a toggle switch to mine, not very safe, but hey, I needed it at the time)

I'd say that one wire should go to the battery (+) and the other wire to the location on the starter that has the Yellow wire from the ignition.

(Keep the yellow wire on the starter, it will be hot when you turn the key.)

Do you have a DVM? If so, I'd think the Remote starter should have no connection between the two wires (2 wires correct?) until the button is pushed.
914zim
Oh, sorry guys... yes I did mean the extra starter switch that is used to turn the engine over without having to turn the key from inside. I need it to troubleshoot my engine not starting problem. It tuns over, but I don't think I'm getting any spark...
Thanks fellas!
Lawrence
Hey Andy,

How's it coming? What have you been able to find?

-Rusty smoke.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(914zim @ Aug 19 2003, 06:19 PM)
Where exactly on the solenoid (starter) should it connect? Is there a terminal or something?

remove the skinny wire that attaches to the male spade connector on the solenoid; attach one clip there. clip the other to the starter post with the +12V from the battery.

you will be supplying power to the solenoid just like the start position of the key does. ta da.

remember to re-attach the original wire to the solenoid when you're done or you'll be making another trip under the car when you turn the key and nothing happens...
914zim
Fellas:
I didn't get a chance to work on the 914 last night. Family obligations, you know...
I'll get some time tonight, so I'll try and get to the bottom of it then.
Thanks for the help guys!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.