Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The new guy has some questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
erikstoll
First off, grertings everyone, Im Erik, 20, college student in Reno, Nevada.
I love 914's and unfortunatly do not own one, yet at least. I got a chance to ride on one a couple years back and fell in love instantly and have wanted to purchase one ever since.
First off, how practical would it be for someone like myself (college student) to purchase a 914?
How much can i expect to pay for a decent condition car?
How hard are they to work on?
What else should i know besides to look for rust and the like?

Thanks a bunch, and i love this site
Erik
WRX914
Depending on the condition, you can expect to pay as little as $500 - $30k

You have to decide ehat level of rebuilding you are capable of, and how much $$ to put in it. My suggetion... define your budget then go from there.

Look for rust uder the battery tray, the rockers, and firewall... hell, look everywhere!
erikstoll
QUOTE (audioculture @ Dec 1 2005, 10:22 AM)
Depending on the condition, you can expect to pay as little as $500 - $30k

You have to decide ehat level of rebuilding you are capable of, and how much $$ to put in it. My suggetion... define your budget then go from there.

Look for rust uder the battery tray, the rockers, and firewall... hell, look everywhere!

wavey.gif from up north
lets say i found a car for $500 could i expect it to be in running condition?
lapuwali
Most running cars on the West Coast will be $2000-3000 at a minimum. There are a few $1500 runners that show up from time to time, though. Anything less, and there's going to be a lot of work to be done to turn it into a safe, reliable driver. Even California cars can have serious rust, so always look carefully. The main rule with buying any car like this is to buy the best car you can afford, as it's always more expensive to fix stuff than to buy a car someone else has already fixed for you.

A chief difficulty with owning one of these as a student is having a place and the tools to work on them. Even the $2-3K cars are going to require some work. If you live at school, prepare to face the wrath of the campus nazis if you try to work on it extensively on campus.
Flat VW
In general terms, the purchase price is inversely proportional to the "cost to repair" price.

That is to say, cheaper cars sometimes need a great deal of work done to them.

A car that "costs more" on the front end, can be, and often is, a better total value than an inexpensive car upfront.

I believe you are fortunate to have found this site BEFORE your purchase, as opposed to after.

Have you found your way to the classifieds here yet?

welcome to you,

John

Bleyseng
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Dec 1 2005, 10:52 AM)
In general terms, the purchase price is inversely proportional to the "cost to repair" price.

A car that "costs more" on the front end, can be, and often is, a better total value than an inexpensive car upfront.

I believe you are fortunate to have found this site BEFORE your purchase, as opposed to after.

welcome to you,

John

agree.gif

He's a college student so atleast he has some brains!
erikstoll
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Dec 1 2005, 11:06 AM)

A car  that "costs more" on the front end, can be, and often is, a better total value than an inexpensive car upfront.

welcome to you,

John

agree.gif

haha at least i try to, i AM a journalism student so i cant have that many brains =P
j have found the classifides, that was the main way i found the site.
As for working on the car, I have a co-worker who would let me work on the car at their home and possibly store it there.

I know that work would have to be done to almost any car I would buy, and I kinda like the idea of doing work myself, but, how hard are these cars to work on?
MikeP
SPEND MORE UPFRONT!!!!! It is always cheaper to buy someone else's hard work and time at a discount. Lets face it these cheap little cars aren't that cheap once you start f-ing with them.
bd1308
QUOTE (erikstoll @ Dec 1 2005, 02:03 PM)

A car  that "costs more" on the front end, can be, and often is, a better total value than an inexpensive car upfront.

welcome to you,

John

agree.gif

haha at least i try to, i AM a journalism student so i cant have that many brains =P
j have found the classifides, that was the main way i found the site.
As for working on the car, I have a co-worker who would let me work on the car at their home and possibly store it there.

I know that work would have to be done to almost any car I would buy, and I kinda like the idea of doing work myself, but, how hard are these cars to work on?

I got this 914 like two years ago....

i've been through all kinds of stuff....engine drop, clutch change, brake rebuild....

i'm in college AND my daily driver is my 914....only car I own.

It's doable....just...make sure you work. Its been very hard to maintain this car and pay for stuff at the same time....

it's been a hell of a ride...but the 914 is doing well. 914s dont like salt....so if i absolutely had to drive the 914 somewhere (in the winter), I made sure to hose it down with water daily through everything.......

b
IanStott
This site has some great people and an immeasurable amount of info, I agree totally with what has already been said and would only add " if you like working on cars a 914 is definitely a front runner for tons of reasons" I will have much more into my car $ wise than I could sell it for but I don't look at that ( my wife does cause she is an accountant ) I love these cars. If you don't care about the car a little bit like that; then maybe it is not the car for you.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
MattR

Hey, some college students have brains but dont use them bootyshake.gif

Erik,

Welcome to the club. I'm a 914er and college student. Its doable. If I could do it again, I would have found a nice driver (maybe a 3k car), driven it, and built another one from the ground up. Now I'm 2 years into the project, lots of time and money I dont have invested, and Ive still never driven a 914 very hard. Do you live in the dorms? If your parents house is close, you can always park it in their driveway and work on it there. I use the "its almost done" excuse every weekend. It works pretty well.
erikstoll
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 1 2005, 12:25 PM)

Hey, some college students have brains but dont use them bootyshake.gif

Erik,

Welcome to the club. I'm a 914er and college student. Its doable. If I could do it again, I would have found a nice driver (maybe a 3k car), driven it, and built another one from the ground up. Now I'm 2 years into the project, lots of time and money I dont have invested, and Ive still never driven a 914 very hard. Do you live in the dorms? If your parents house is close, you can always park it in their driveway and work on it there. I use the "its almost done" excuse every weekend. It works pretty well.

well about the home... thats 13 hours north or so in Portland... a co-worker who owns a bunch of Mustangs was said i could put a small car at her place to work on it.
I think ill save up some $ and try and get one for around $2k and go from there... i know my parents will be pissed though
and so far, i love this place you guys rock,
RON S.
You'll have fun no matter which direction you take.

However,to be an offical member you gotta invest in these for your new teener,we all do.

Ron

A much needed item
Flat VW
QUOTE (erikstoll @ Dec 1 2005, 12:29 PM)
A co-worker who owns a bunch of Mustangs was said i could put a small car at her place to work on it.

Is she cute?

John confused24.gif
porschenut
Buy one with a good motor, according to this list a rebuild can cost 20 large.
mueba.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (porschenut @ Dec 1 2005, 12:35 PM)
Buy one with a good motor, according to this list a rebuild can cost 20 large.
mueba.gif

lol2.gif

Pee Wee Herman voice:

"I love that story."

John popcorn[1].gif
erikstoll
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Dec 1 2005, 12:33 PM)
A co-worker who owns a bunch of Mustangs was said i could put a small car at her place to work on it.

Is she cute?

John confused24.gif

hahaha why did i know someone would ask this
and the answer is yes
Flat VW
QUOTE (erikstoll @ Dec 1 2005, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Dec 1 2005, 12:33 PM)

Is she cute?

John confused24.gif

hahaha why did i know someone would ask this
and the answer is yes

Well, there ya go then!

J
WRX914
QUOTE (erikstoll @ Dec 1 2005, 10:24 AM)
wavey.gif from up north

Depends on if the PO advertises it as a runner... Then, yes you can expect a $500 runner. av-943.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 1 2005, 02:42 PM)

and the answer is yes

:ttiwp:

you're new to the board, but you'll be seeing that a lot.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

wink.gif

b
MattR
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 1 2005, 12:43 PM)

and the answer is yes

wink.gif

b

damn britt, you're fast. i deleted it because i knew i messed up the code and I didnt want anyone to quote me and make me look stupid.

kinda late now, eh? biggrin.gif
WRX914
QUOTE (audioculture @ Dec 1 2005, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (erikstoll @ Dec 1 2005, 10:24 AM)
wavey.gif from up north

Depends on if the PO advertises it as a runner... Then, yes you can expect a $500 runner. av-943.gif

Sorry, I could not stop myself!

biggrin.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 1 2005, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 1 2005, 12:43 PM)

and the answer is yes

wink.gif

b

damn britt, you're fast. i deleted it because i knew i messed up the code and I didnt want anyone to quote me and make me look stupid.

kinda late now, eh? biggrin.gif

av-943.gif

chairfall.gif

Matt, there are plenty of opportunities to get me back...

i mess up ALOT. trust me

wink.gif

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.