Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want to pain transaxle, What paint to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pnewman
I have pulled my transaxle and I am going to change all of the seals and do a first gear job on it. I was thinking of painting it while out and clean.

confused24.gif Should I or shouldn't I? confused24.gif

If I should do I need to use a high heat engine paint because of the close proximity to the exhaust? Thanks, Pete
WRX914
The best way is to have it powdercoated...
Katmanken
The thing I don't like with powdercoating is it is a 2 stage process...

1. Apply the powder.

2. Bake in oven to melt the powder.

I like 1 ok, it's step number 2 that I won't do with a whole tranny and seals.

So to powdercoat right, it's a COMPLETE tranny dissasembly...

Ken
Andyrew
Standard high temp paint would work...

I doubt it gets over 200 degrees on any 1 point.

jsteele22

Probably the best way is to hook it up to a massively built V8, and use something w/ a lot of sand. Pop the clutch at redline. Or did you mean paint the transaxle ?
Aaron Cox
please dont paint your trans.

just clean it up. ive seen a few UGLY trannies... paint flaking off etc.
ill take magnesium look anyday.

my 2 cents
bd1308
ohmy.gif
pnewman
ar15.gif aah, dead kittens, hmmmmm. So if I paint this thing am I really gauranteed that got will kill some....hmmm. so how many kittens per oz. of krylon or rustoleum? Let's see! smilie_pokal.gif

I just pressure washed it. I think I am going to try a brass drill attachment next! and then some clear or ?
jsteele22
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 1 2005, 08:48 PM)
ohmy.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

(and I like kittens....)
Gint
Didn't we do a thread just like this, just yesterday or the day before?

Or are all of these threads running into a massive blur and I've totally lost touch with reality?
bd1308
QUOTE (Gint @ Dec 2 2005, 06:21 PM)
Didn't we do a thread just like this, just yesterday or the day before?

Or are all of these threads running into a massive blur and I've totally lost touch with reality?

andy created us all...

i dont exist

[process finished]
soloracer
On a similar note, my magnesium 915 tranny looks like it sat outside near the ocean for about 1/2 of it's life. The input shaft and output flanges have a good coating of rust on them and the case has a "patina" that makes it look dull and grey. I'm worried that the input shaft may have to be replaced as the splines might be damaged. Is this a legitimate concern? Can the transmission case, flanges and input shaft be media blasted?
Katmanken
Um Soloracer...

The answer is it depends....

It depends on how much rust and how much power from the engine.

A lotta rust will pit the shaft. Pits can be crack propagators. sad.gif

Surface rust- media blast or wire brush and ospho is another option.

Ken
Aaron Cox
im sure you could blast the case.... AFTER you dis-assemble it and mask off bearing races etc......

then make sure....very sure that no sand is left inside....
dmenche914
Much success and still good lookibng paint job after ten years using Rustoleum primer and then grey gloss top coat. no specail heat paint was needed. Cleaned the tranny real well first, lots of solvent and steelwool to clean it up. i did this with tranny fully assembled.

I think the tranny should be protected with paint or other coating cause the magnesium will corrode very easy if left bare( they usually get enough oil leaked on them to keep them corrosion free, but if you clean the underside often, you wont have that rust proofing oil film.

Good luck

pnewman
Thanks to all! I finished doing the first gear job and replacing all of the seals and o-rings etc. Now I have to make the decision. idea.gif

I pressure washed the trani when I first removed it from the car so as to have a clean transaxle to work on. Now that it is finished I thought that I would try to clean it a little better: i.e. with a brass wire wheel attachment to my 90 degree angled pneumatic grinder.

smilie_pokal.gif WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

It was like polishing a turd!

I think that I will do the entire transaxle now and then clear coat it!

Thanks to all for your support and inspiration!

Pete rocking nana.gif
Lou W
dmenche914 Posted on Dec 4 2005, 08:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Much success and still good lookibng paint job after ten years using Rustoleum primer and then grey gloss top coat. no specail heat paint was needed. Cleaned the tranny real well first, lots of solvent and steelwool to clean it up. i did this with tranny fully assembled.

I think the tranny should be protected with paint or other coating cause the magnesium will corrode very easy if left bare( they usually get enough oil leaked on them to keep them corrosion free, but if you clean the underside often, you wont have that rust proofing oil film.

Good luck

Do you have any pictures? smile.gif
pnewman
I'll take some pictures tommorrow or this weekened. Mid turd polishing. Next week when finished I'll shoot the pre-install pics and post them.

Thanks for the interest. biggrin.gif

I just hope that the rustoleum clear holds up as well as your rusto- grey primer .... that I was considering! unsure.gif

Pete
pnewman
Well the transaxle is finished and ready to reinstall! I went over it with three different brass wire wheel attatchments for my pneumatic angle die grinder. and then taped it off and clear coated it.

I went with clear coat because the magnesium polished up quite nicely and I was also afraid of paint peeling later and looking like stromberg.gif !

Thanks for your input!

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Dec 4 2005, 08:15 PM)

Good luck

think i remember seeing a pic of yours almost a year ago?

looked awesome and probably helps maintaining cleanliness.

if i thought the coating slowed heat dissipation in any measurable amount i wouldnt do it. but i dont think it does. most of my bikes never had that stuff on the cooling fins but the 901 fins are primarily structural.

make 'er pretty and take pics. i'll prolly do the same thing before mine gets too gummed up too. wink.gif
pnewman
smilie_pokal.gif Here are the pics! smilie_pokal.gif

sorry for the delay. I had to resize them for the posting. I haven't done that in years.

before
pnewman
smilie_pokal.gif after! smilie_pokal.gif
pnewman
smilie_pokal.gif after!!! smilie_pokal.gif

again, thanks to all with this little phase of my project!

Pete biggrin.gif
mrdezyne
Pete,
This looks amazing! Good job! One more item to put on my to-do list. Thanks for the pics, I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Dr. Roger
oh heck yea'...

that's down right purdy. cool.gif beerchug.gif
pnewman
biggrin.gif thanks! biggrin.gif

Unfortunately the seldom will anyone appreciate the work as these cars sit so low. wacko.gif

... but I'll know it's there and will smile everytime that I jack her up so that she may be fondled.

pete
d7n7master
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 1 2005, 07:48 PM)
ohmy.gif

I assure you, no kittens were harmed during paint application - brain cells, yeah w00t.gif
r_towle
nice job
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.