Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are reproduction license plates legal???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony
I was searching and found these:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/default.php?cPath=1_147

Could I order Ca blue plates with my current license plate number and be legal?
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 19 2003, 08:20 PM)

maybe you should read the FAQ on their web-site ...

DA FAQ

Q: Can your replica country or USA State license plates be used legally?

A: Autogeardepot.com, Inc. and licenseplates.tv market our replica license plates for non-official use only and may not replace officially/government issued license plates.
Slowpoke
You might check with your DMV. I knew about 15 years ago there were several states that allowed you to put the original issue plates on your car, exp. a 1967 issue plate on a 1967 chevelle. I really thought CA was one of them. That why I kept my CA black and gold plate for my 67 325 hp Malibu. I think it was a hobby or collector fee involved. It was written up in one of the muscle car magazines. The article also listed several companies that restored plates for that purpose. I remembered AZ as not being one of the states listed so I never followed up on it.
Howard
How about just cheating. I had no front plate (blue CA) on my recently purchased 73. I scanned the back plate, edited out the year and month, printed on glossy paper, and laminated to a plastic sheet.

It's not legal, of course, but keeps the photo gendarmes off my case. There is a certain age (black plates CA, I believe) where you can order a duplicate. They charge as if personalized plates. Check with DMV.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(anthony @ Aug 19 2003, 07:20 PM)

In one word. NO.

Calif. YOM info.
more plate info.

My best advice is to figure out some cool vanity and get it on one of the special issue graphic bases.
bwilless
AZ will let you use a old plate, providing that it's not already registered to another car. I found a 1973 plate on the web, took it down to the DMV and registered it to my 1973 914. It even has the initials for "Porsche Club Racing". I think I have to pay the same anual fee that someone with a vanity plate has to pay.

IPB Image
seanery
They won't sell them to a credit card billed to a CA address or ship to a CA address.

If you had bad blue tags maybe you could replace them, but I wouldn't put my white plate numbers on a blue plate and stick it on. Easy way to get busted for forgery!
Slowpoke
bwilless, thanks for the info. I'm on my way to DMV now. smile.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Ohio ,D M V said " Only in Your Drive way" . I guess you could have one of the correct yr for your car made to use at shows. But $65.00 seems a little steep for that. But arn't we use to paying a lot for things for our 914s.
Barberdave
bmendel
The DMV here in the Peoples Republic does not want you to have a black or blue plate on your car, as they don't reflect well for photo radar and other defecit recuction programs. They make it very difficult to put a colored plate on your car if it didn't come with one. You cannot, for instance, get a personalized plate using the letter and numbers of a plate you find at a junk yard or swap meet, the DMV will not allow any personalized plate with 3 letters and 3 numbers.

There has been a lot of discussion on the 912 board, and we have 2 theories on how to get around the DMV

1) find an old blue (or black, if appropriate) plate that is currently not in use. Make sure it contains a 0 (zero) or an O. I don't believe the DMV knows the difference between a 0 and an O, so you can order a personal plate without violating the 3 letters 3 numbers rule

2) For Black plates, order an arts plate, check the sequential box, and you'll get a current plate with 3 letters (current sequence is WEx ###, corresponds to approx 1968) and 3 numbers, just like a black plate. Then order a reproduction black plate and put it on, they are indistinguishable from originals. Don't get caught, it does come up in the police/DMV computer as an art plate

Several 912'ers have reproduction plates on the front of their cars to replace old lost plates, since if you are caught with only one old plate, you can be required to get new plates so you'll have 2 plates
tryan
illegal. well let me think................

ONLY IF YOU GET CAUGHT or jump in a lake, at night. whichever comes first.
Brad Roberts
Thanks for the info BMendel (and welcome to the BBS)

B
Randal
The data base with all personalized California license numbers used to be available on the web.

Can't seem to find it now. Anyone know where it is?
VegasRacer
Randal -

"The page you are trying to reach (http://plates.ca.gov/search) is no longer available. If you would like to check on the availability of a desired plate configuration, you may now do so at the Department of Motor Vehicles' new Special Interest and Personalized License Plate online ordering site."

The best you can do is trial and error.
You can find out is your choice is available,
but you can not access a list of what is in use.
Vanity Test Plate
Randal
I did try putting in numbers/letters, but regardless of the combination I used, it came back saying it wasn't available. I wonder if it is really working?

Now how many people would be looking for "222 BR" in California?
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Randal @ Aug 20 2003, 02:04 PM)
Now how many people would be looking for "222 BR" in California?
I wonder if it is really working?

One is all that is necessary for it to be taken. ar15.gif

Anything I tried that seemed interesting was not available.
However, when I entered random jibberish it did work just fine.
Keep trying. U R GUN-A 1/2 2 B CR-8-IV. idea.gif
smilie_flagge24.gif GOOD LUCK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.