Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Horn Wiring and Instal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A914MAN
wacko.gif I have a GREAT flared 6 conversion that has new Hella horns which I can not figure the installation thereof. Before the conversion the horns started honking and wouldn't quit. We disconnected the horns themselves to solve the problem. Now that the car is finished and everything is like new I wanted to put NEW hella horns on her. Connect the horns up and bolted them to the body and NO HONKING. Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated. A wiring diagram would also be most excellent.
Dave_Darling
The stock horns on the later cars work like this:

One wire (brown) at the horn is grounded. The other (black/yellow) carries the power from the horn relay, which lives on top of the fuse panel. This relay is hooked to constant power (red), to switched power (red/white), to the horn (black/yellow), and to the horn switch (brown/white).

When the horn button is pressed, the end of the brown/white wire is grounded. This completes the circuit through the coil of the relay (red/white to brown/white), making it connect the constant power to the horn. This powers the horn, which sounds.

You can test the horn independantly with a battery; just hook the two terminals to +12V and ground. You can test that the horn relay is seeing the correct signals by checking the pins in the relay socket. #30 should get +12V all the time, #87 should have continuity to the horn wire, #85 should have +12V when the key is on, and #86 should be grounded when the horn button is pushed. (I may have 85 and 86 switched.)

If that is all correct, then the wire to the horn should get +12V when the key is on and the horn button is pressed.

One of the more common failures is the spot where the wire connects to the horn button. The wire comes off, and at random grounds on the steering column. Sometimes the horn goes on its own, sometimes not--but it pretty much never pays attention to the horn button.

Earlier cars used a slightly different circuit (I think there was no dedicated relay) and had a dedicated electrical switch to ground the horn signal wire instead of just having the wire ground against the steering column.

--DD
jsteele22

And you might not realize how easy it is to remove the horn button. ("Button" by the way is the confusing name for the entire bowtie shaped thing that moves when you honk.) Just grab the outer edges and rotate CCW about 30 degrees or so, and lift. IIRC, you'll see the horn wire right there, and maybe the short. Also, there's a rubber thingie that Pelican sells (I think its called the spring, buts all rubber) which gets old and cracked. An easy and satisfying thing to get that old fresh horn feeling...

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.