Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starting NOT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,

Well, we are ready to start the car...

The key does nothing...it wont turn over by the key.

It will turn over with a starter switch hooked up to the starter, so the starter is fine.

At the ignition switch.
I have power to the large RED wire going into the switch, key off, battery connected.

Key in START mode...there is no power on the large YELLOW wire coming out of the switch...

I traced the yellow wire...it is a straight shot to the underseat relay stuff...it does not go through anything on the way there....

So...WTF do I do.
Could I possibly run an ohm test on the ignition switch, battery un plugged, and run the ohm test between the red and yellow terminals in the start mode?? will that show me a connection in start and not in run??

I am trying to rule out the ignition switch..

In the Run mode, I have power at the coil.

AAARRRRGGGG

Rich
Rand
Key in START mode...there is no power on the large YELLOW wire coming out of the switch...

Sounds like the switch to me.

What happens if you put 12v to the large yellow wire coming out of the switch?
r_towle
I could put my starter switch there...under the seat relay is the first and easiest place to do that...it will turn the car over...

I was told this worked...but the wiring harness was out of it...totally...so Im more inclined to think it was some dumb ass thing I did versus the ignition switch....

I do get power at the coil when the key is in run...

Can I do an ohm meter test on the ignition switch??

Rich
Rand
My ignition switch cracked. It would still put 12v to the coil, but wouldn't handle the extra torque of the spring-loaded start position.

I put a heavy-duty push button starter next to the engine-lid release on the firewall. Some call that a hack and say you should just replace the ignition switch. But I like it. For several reasons.

Yeah a meter would help troubleshoot this (pin 30 to 50?). Putting 12v to the yellow wire (solenoid circuit) would too.

Also, what about the seatbelt relay junk? It's a straight shot from switch to seatbelt relay, but is it getting THROUGH the relay?

r_towle
its not getting to the relay...

Its not coming out of the switch...

So...if I replace the switch...can I take out the key tumbler and put it into the switch housing??

Rich
Rand
The part the cracks is the white plastic... which can be replaced separate from the key/tumbler portion.

user posted image

switches at PP
r_towle
cool, except I had to take out the dash pad...steering wheel..blah blah blah...I just put it all back in...jeez....

Rich
lapuwali
You shouldn't have to take out the dash pad to do this. Just pull the steering wheel. The electrical part of the switch is completely separate from the key portion, and is quite cheap ($15 or similar).
ChrisFoley
Did you turn the key to the run position and crank the engine with your external starter switch to see if the engine runs?
r_towle
Lapu...I am glad to hear that....

Chris...I have been for the last hour...

Lots of detail problems...ground seems to come and go....Ill look at it tommorow..I know where to look...

Its just the PITA having a kid with alot of anxiety breathing down my neck..............I will do it while he is at school....its easier to think...

Rich
Rocket
vroom vroom
r_towle
rocket want car to go vroom vroom.....vrooooommm...vrooommm...I KNOW
Rocket
then make it go vroom vroom. i wan to sit in car on jacks and go vroom vrooooooooooooom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.