Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey, I'm a Newbie ;)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MaMa Jo
Wow! I just finished reading all of the postings regarding the van, and I’m amazed! You guys were all pretty high on my list before hand, and now I see that you have all put much more time and effort in to this “project” than I ever even knew. I’m truly amazed at the incredible generosity in each of you as individuals, and as a group. We owe you all so much, and what you have done for our family will never be forgotten. With that said, I would like to say a few things in Dave’s behalf.

A little background: Before Dave got sick he was finally right where he wanted to be in his life. We had a house, a brand new truck, and more money than we needed to get by. Dave was always busy skateboarding or snowboarding. He had finally reached his goal of skating professionally, and had sponsors who sent him boxes of stuff every month. Then he started to fall from his skateboard, and suddenly couldn’t hold his hammer at work. Since then, every day something else has been taken away from him. Each day there’s something else he has to give up, something else he will never do again. Now, among many other things, it’s his ability to walk. Have you ever thought about what you might do day after day when you can’t really do anything at all? Well, Dave builds cars. He keeps his mind spinning everyday trying find ways to get things done without being able to do any of them himself. As a family, we all support him in this interest no matter what. For some of you, your car/projects are your hobby or passion. For Dave, now it’s his life. It’s what he gets up to do everyday, besides watching his children grow. All of you have helped to make this possible. All of you have helped him to be able to continue on with his projects, and give him some peace of mind.

When Dave first started talking to me about this club he was explaining why this guy, whom I had never heard of before, was coming over to our place to work on the 914. The first thing I thought was how much this was going to cost us. I couldn’t believe that somebody that barely even knew Dave would put so much time and effort into something when he wasn’t getting anything in return. Come to find out, there’s a lot more of you out there. There are too many names to name, and I don’t want to offend anyone by leaving theirs out.

In trying to get to my point in all of this- Dave and I greatly appreciate everything that all of you have done for us. We recognize that you have all sacrificed something for us. Whether your time, money, labor, knowledge or even just your patience. When Dave told me about what was happening with the van, and issues surrounding the van we were both pretty upset. First and foremost we both apologize immensely for making such a stupid mistake with the van. I admit, I was riding Dave’s ass a bit because we had watched so many come and go and hadn’t done anything. We never imagined this would happen, and until it did we didn’t think that we had done anything wrong. We made a mistake, and we both feel horrible. We have been deeply disturbed knowing that we let you all down in such a big way. This was supposed to be a positive experience for everyone involved, and now it’s become such a mess. We would do anything to fix it, but unfortunately all we can do is learn from our mistakes and move on. Please don’t mistake Dave’s eagerness and excitement for the van for a false sense of entitlement. We had been anticipating being able to do a few things this summer that we haven’t been able to do in while. Besides walks around our home, we haven’t been able to do anything as a family in a while. We realize that none of you have any fault in this. If anything, you all stepped in to change that and make it possible for us. Dave doesn’t always get the message to come across in the way he means it. For those of you who know him a little better, you probably understand a little better. Also, may I add, those of you who do consider Dave a friend please take into consideration that people suffering from ALS lose the ability to control their emotions. I’m sure some of you saw the smile that couldn’t be wiped off his face with the work party this weekend. Well, it works the opposite way as well. Hurtful things said go a long way in this house, so please consider this when dealing with heated issues. Enough said.

Again, it has been such a relief to have all of you helping us out the way you have. This was a very big battle for our family, and we thank you for fighting it for us.

Kori
Brad Roberts
Thank you for helping to clear the air. We are very close to giving some freedom back to your family. Please hang in there.

Soon.

B
Qarl
Woohoo! Kori is in the house! smilie_pokal.gif (Sorry, this is the closest raising the roof emoticon we have)

Thanks for posting this. Help is on the way. Everyone, especially Brad has been putting alot of time in this and your message is well-timed and well-received.

Everyone is soooooo glad to be able to help and we only wish things had gone smoother.

I hope Dave becomes more comfortable in posting more about his ALS, as I think more club members would like to know more about his daily struggles and how "strong" he is despite his "weakening" body.

Again, welcome to our "club".

Regards,

Karl
VegasRacer
{ { { { { { { { Kori } } } } } } }

That is the best I can do for a hug from 1200 miles away.

As you know better than the rest of us, Dave is a very special guy.
It is our privilege to be able to help in our small way.
You have already earned a place in our hearts.
We are glad that have chosen to share a little of yours in this forum.
You are welcome here anytime.

We would be foolish to claim that we can understand what your family is going thru.
Please always remember that we are here to support you with our prayers.

The van will be in your driveway soon. (not as soon as we would like)
Enjoy the freedom that it will provide along with our sincere best wishes.

John Peterson
Jeroen
Hey Kori,

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

I bet Dave's situation is just as though for you as it is for Dave.
It must be hard to see your loved one go through these things.
"Hats off" to you too, since you're taking care of Dave and the kids, which must be a busy job.

It's not Dave's fault the van deal went so bad. I don't think he had planned for all that to happen biggrin.gif

Look at it on the bright side. Soon you'll have the van and it'll have a brand new engine with a 12 mo warranty! Things don't get much better than that biggrin.gif

Hang in there!

A big "cyber hug" from all of us

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
agree.gif
rick 918-S
If I recall Dave simply asked for idea's to help raise funds for the chair he was being denied. He never asked for anyone to do for him. We sensed that strength. We welcome the opportunity to do what we can. Thanks for letting us help. I know our effort is not what dave had in mind when he posted the "idea's" question. But the moment was siezed and the rest is almost history. We all live our little life's and seldom think of our health and how lucky we all are. Thanks again.
Lawrence
Kori,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to write that gracious post.

Best to you, Dave and your children,
Lawrence
redshift
Bless you, you help me feel humanity, thanks for sharing.

It's a long way to where you are, but I'm thinking of you all.

Miles
Bleyseng
Thanks for posting Kori. You have a beautiful family and a great husband. I know Dave is passionate about 914's and enjoys the car rebuilding/restoring more than most of us. I still couldn't believe it when I looked over at the swap meet to see him there unloading his parts. I went over to say "Hello" and ask how he got there because I know there isn't a wheelchair van yet. When he told me he had driven his "new ride" the 35 blocks I was floored! This guy is hardcore 914 thru and thru!

Hopefully soon you and the family will have the van and be able to move around alittle better.

Thank you for the nice post.

Geoff MDB2.gif
boxstr
Very well put. You and Dave are an example of a strong family looking into the face of an adverse future that I don't think any of us at 914world.com want to be faced with.
I was suprised to see Dave at the John Walker swap meet setting up next to me, he is one dedicated guy.
Hang in there and we will all help when asked to.
Craig C. Laughlin
tryan
WELCOME to the board. feel free to ask any questions, but remember you can't turbo a 914.

having a family member being sick is pretty stressfull, you just have to take it as it comes. day by day and even hour by hour sometimes. keep the faith, stay positive and everything will fine.

have you tried any of the clinical trails with amgen in thousand oaks ca? they are doing the most promising research.

take care, tom
Qarl
Bleyseng is wanting both of our "women" to post on the board as well... might not be a good idea.

I see topics of discussions for 914 spouses and significant others such as...

"How to say no to suspension upgrade purchases"... or

"Yardwork or working on the 914... how to set your man's priorities straight".

Keep dreamin!

Ha Ha!

But, Kori... we're glad you are here!
tryan
or worse yet.................99 ways to blow up a 914 and turn it into a center piece for the flower garden.
Bruce Allert
Kori, I want to thank you for being there for Dave. It's a special person that can keep on going when faced with a situation as huge as Daves condition. I know a few spouces that have left in the midst of a health problem because "they just couldn't take it." I also know from experience that it is hard to keep going but, what alot of people don't know is, you grow from the experience. Sure, it's difficult but you took an oath to stick by each other and that's what you are doing... that's what I did and I know you will be grateful about your decision.
You're doing the right thing.. believe me smilie_pokal.gif We, in the club, are here for you guys.
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.