Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nohair
Hello everyone! I think I have read somewhere a way to install 944/944T brakes(rear) on a teener and was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of this or have I been dreaming again? huh.gif
Am I under the wrong assumption that a 911 front suspension will " bolt in" a 914? I am very much a newbie and in a hurry to learn!!! sorry if these questions are a much talked about already
thanks for your time everyone
nohair
Series9
Any 911 front end from '65-'89 will bolt in.

944 rear brakes will not.

However: early 944 rear suspension is completely interchangable with Bug, Type III and Ghia. unsure.gif
Jeroen
you can use 944turbo or 964 front brakes

you need struts with 3.5" brake mounting tabs (911 SC or Carrera 3.2)

the mounting holes on the 944turbo calipers are spaced slightly larger than 3.5"
idealy, you plug these holes and redrill them to 3.5" but others have also just filed the holes to fit with good results
once that's done, they'll bolt up to the struts without adapters or other mods

you also need 24mm front brake rotors (911 Carrera 3.2)
Tobra
That is for the VW's with IRS(bugs after '68 I believe) It is a nice upgrade, but I sold the car...
Series9
QUOTE (Tobra @ Dec 2 2005, 06:54 PM)
That is for the VW's with IRS(bugs after '68 I believe) It is a nice upgrade, but I sold the car...

Yes, that's true. Sorry.
Eric_Shea
you need struts with 3.5" brake mounting tabs (911 SC or Carrera 3.2)

agree.gif or an early 911S, they have the 3.5" spacing as well. The early (>67) Koni or Bilstein struts will do the trick.
ClayPerrine
I have the 944 turbo brakes on the front and rear of my 914. To instlal them is a pain in the ass....

the fronts are fairly easy, we just machined out the holes in the calipers to fit the 3.5 inch spacing on the 911 struts, and installed the 24mm carrera rotors. The holes on the caliper have to be moved in and upward.

To get the rears to work I had to remove the brake caliper mounting tabs and fabricate new ones to attach the 944 calipers. It takes a bunch of math and a homemade jig to get the calipers in the correct location.

With that on the car, then you ahve to figure out how to make a park brake that works. I put a 911 drum brake on the rear with custom made cables.

It can be, and has been done before me. But it is by no means easy.

If you want that kind of brakes on your 914, I would suggest Boxster monoblocks. You can buy premade mounting blocks for them, and unlike welding on a new tab , it is reversable. I am going to remove the 944 calipers on my car and replace them with Boxster monoblocks in the future. Also, the pad area on the monoblocks is bigger than the 944 turbo calipers.

Hope that helps.
seanery
I went with 944Turbo on the front and Boxster on the rear of BlueCar. Rich Johnson can sell you the necessary parts. You can use a 944Turbo rear if you like, they have the same pad, but the piston size is different, so it's not quite as good as the fronts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.