Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder Coat the WORLD!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dead Air
I found a great source (cheap) for powder coating!
It's winter here and I may as well do a complete teardown while I'm in there!
(ala: Turtle Girl)
Give me a list of what you'd do!
I'm thinking:
control arms
engine tin
pistons (yeah, it's the all the rage)

Am I missing anything?
really, gimme ideas
chowtime.gif
Mike D.
Fan housing, muffler hanger, rocker pannels, valences, gauge plate, heater tubes, flapper boxes, trailing arms, front cross member, strut covers,

The list goes on...
davec
My brother owns a powdercoating business in CT. He's done complete race and track cars. I am thinking of doing a complete 356 coupe. They hold up pretty well. My rocker panels are still as pretty as when they came out of the oven 2 years ago. However, my rims look like stromberg.gif because of the brake dust. I've also done suspension, brackets and, best of all, the engine lid and side pieces, which are GT style. They look great too.

Make sure he blocks off the screw holes, or you'll be fixing that problem for hours!
Dead Air
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Dec 2 2005, 03:26 PM)
Fan housing, muffler hanger, rocker pannels, valences, gauge plate, heater tubes, flapper boxes, trailing arms, front cross member, strut covers,

The list goes on...

[QUOTE]

I'm just talking the stuff that shows, ok? blink.gif
Aaron Cox
buy a ton of foam earplugs....

roll em into a cone, and stick them into your threads.....
saves you hours of tapping
Mueller
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Dec 2 2005, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Dec 2 2005, 03:26 PM)

The list goes on...

[QUOTE]

I'm just talking the stuff that shows, ok? blink.gif

you originally posted: control arms

those "show" no more than the stuff he listed screwy.gif biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for McMark to get his oven up and running, I too have a bunch of stuff I'd like to get coated (how sad, I have a new Eastwood PC kit shoved in a box at home, too lazy to use it)
Bleyseng
Do a set of pistons, that way they would like soo cool. av-943.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (davec @ Dec 2 2005, 03:41 PM)
My brother owns a powdercoating business in CT. He's done complete race and track cars. I am thinking of doing a complete 356 coupe. They hold up pretty well. My rocker panels are still as pretty as when they came out of the oven 2 years ago. However, my rims look like stromberg.gif because of the brake dust. I've also done suspension, brackets and, best of all, the engine lid and side pieces, which are GT style. They look great too.

Make sure he blocks off the screw holes, or you'll be fixing that problem for hours!

Also do NOT want to do stuctural stuff. Cages are especially bad.

The reason for not doing cages is because the powdercoating is too strong, and it will stay intact over cracks in seams and welds.

BJH
Dead Air
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 2 2005, 04:53 PM)
[QUOTE=Dead Air,Dec 2 2005, 04:52 PM] [QUOTE=Mike D.,Dec 2 2005, 03:26 PM] Fan housing, muffler hanger, rocker pannels, valences, gauge plate, heater tubes, flapper boxes, trailing arms, front cross member, strut covers,

The list goes on... [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

I'm just talking the stuff that shows, ok? blink.gif [/QUOTE]
you originally posted: control arms

those "show" no more than the stuff he listed screwy.gif biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for McMark to get his oven up and running, I too have a bunch of stuff I'd like to get coated (how sad, I have a new Eastwood PC kit shoved in a box at home, too lazy to use it)

[QUOTE]

ok smart guy, I'll try to make this easy for you. slap.gif
My rocker panels are fiberglass
my front valance is all dented and will probably be replaced with
a chin spoiler.
"heater tubes, and flapper boxes" idea.gif
How far do I have to turn the front wheels to get those to show? confused24.gif
I'll ask again...
"Can any of you think of 914 parts, that particularly show, which might be those that flatter the general form or function of our beloved afformentioned car?"
Continued..."there might be those of you who may suggest I (do a) search "Haynes Manual" & "nouns (not plastic)" for a short list of items that are metal and capable of powder coating but that would be a different thread.
If, in fact, you have restored a 914 and can recall those items that were particularly appealing in a powder coated form; please feel free to reply.
Otherwise...
Kiss my chain smoking ass!
Mueller
most common parts powder coated is "under" the car and normally only seen by you or you mechanic.....

many, many people have thier a-arms, trailing arms and associated parts powdercoated...

engine parts such as the plenum tubes....it's not just for "show" it serves a purpose as well........

swl
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 3 2005, 12:14 AM)
.it's not just for "show" it serves a purpose as well........

I've been waiting for a chance to ask this without sounding too newbie. What is the purpose/advantage of powder coat instead of chemical coatings like POR-15?
Andyrew
Powder coating is extremely strong.

Basically, you powder coat it, put it where rocks will hit it and junk, and it wont chip.

It will last a lot longer than regular paint.

Trailing arms, CV joints, dash guage pod, A Arms, any anything you really can...

People look UNDER a car as well, and that makes a big impression on how the owner wanted to portray the car..
Series9
The RS has powder coated:

Front control arms
Rear control arms
Front sway bar
Rear sway bar
Front cross bar
Gas tank and expansion tank
Front and rear deck hinges
The entire engine deck and grills
Door sills
Headlight buckets
Motor mount
and Misc. hardware.
Andyrew
How did you manage to do the expansion tank?
Series9
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 3 2005, 12:55 PM)

I didn't do it, but it was accomplished like everything else.

Sandblast
Powder coat
Bake
Korijo
powdercoat everything, you CSOB! happy11.gif
goose2
how about steel bumpers.....would they have to be bondo-free?
STL914
QUOTE (914RS @ Dec 3 2005, 12:00 PM)
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 3 2005, 12:55 PM)

I didn't do it, but it was accomplished like everything else.

Sandblast
Powder coat
Bake

Perhaps Andyrew was thinking of the plastic expansion chamber found on mid-74 and later cars, not the metal one
on previous cars.
Andyrew
Hm I thought the tanks where sealed somehow, I remember someone trying to powdercoat one, and it expanded... lol
davec
How about these?
davec
Or these?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.