Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is a 3/4 cam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
This car on EBay Says it has a 3/4 cam, can someone tell me what the hell that is? Does that mean the cam broke and it's missing 1/4th of it? Kind of a cool looking car but if he actually raced it, wouldnt he know the actual specs of the cam? Or does he think everyone is stupid and will understand that BS?

/Rant off
Phoenix-MN
Along with the full "Race" cam what ever that is also -

siverson
3/4" lift? confused24.gif

-Steve
bd1308
QUOTE (Phoenix-MN @ Dec 2 2005, 06:22 PM)
Along with the full "Race" cam what ever that is also -

well i know that one...

a "race" cam has been coated with that zinc stuff...makes it appear yellow....and we all know that yellow is faster....

b
SLITS
It is a 270 degree duration cam...........

In the old days biggrin.gif , it was "full race" (not tractable on the street)... "3/4 race" (lumpy high idle, but driveable on the street), "Street Comp" - mostly a waste of money, and of course "stock"................

Steve
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 2 2005, 04:55 PM)
It is a 270 degree duration cam...........

Thats what I remember from the old bug days and type 4's.
Roughly a 270-280 duration cam was a 3/4 cam and 290-300 duration was a full race cam.
I was running a 3/4 cam (285 duration) in my 2.4 liter Type 4 back in the 70's.
Kind of like a solex or E cam versus an S cam in a six.
Its an old term.
john rogers
As Steve said, although I think it was originally based on the hot rod cams for flat head Fords. Now, please don't ask what a flat head is??!!
SLITS
Are you effers trying to make me feel OLD? smile.gif
Aaron Cox
yes
Elliot_Cannon
Hey SLITS. Thanks for providing the youngsters with a clue. laugh.gif

Elliot
SLITS
QUOTE (john rogers @ Dec 2 2005, 06:07 PM)
As Steve said, although I think it was originally based on the hot rod cams for flat head Fords. Now, please don't ask what a flat head is??!!

Flathead...

1.) The ideal woman ( set your beer on it ).

2.) An engine with VIB\

And Elliot /A-aron........ finger.gif

Howard
VIB??? That'll send the yougin's on a trip. First member under 25 who knows what that means gets a date with Miles (or his goat) biggrin.gif
skline
I remember the term from the 70's and soon found out that real car guys didnt use that term, only ones who were wannabee car guys would say that. Real car guys would tell you the lift and duration of the cam they installed in their car. I just find it funny when someone uses that term, I think "Yeah, like you have any clue what is in your car" screwy.gif
bernbomb914
hey I go back to 21 stud or 24 stud

Bernie
Howard
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Dec 2 2005, 07:54 PM)
hey I go back to 21 stud or 24 stud

Bernie

Damn! 3 Stromberg 97's just flashed in my brain. Had to hunt down on the web..
jonwatts
Did someone say 3 stromberg's?

stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
oil "preasure", "coni" shocks, & doesn't know if the horn works (push on the friggin' horn pad, jack-o!) rolleyes.gif First it's "rust free" then later it has "minor" rust...we all know what that means smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif

He comes off sounding like a stereotypical used car salesman alfred.gif
Joe Ricard
Used car salesman... I always get a kick of cornering one of them guys and making them realize how stupid that statement really was.
Then a again the kid selling Mini's wasn't much to brag about either.

OH yea 3/4 race cam..... I used to have one of them. My 1st bug motor I ever built bought cam off shelf along with other bits. 1915cc Man that thing was fast.
Then I got a 914 and Holy crap !!!! BTW .500 lift 300 duration Port matched cc'ed polished and balanced 2.0L of furry. Yea those are all the key words.
DBCooper
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 2 2005, 07:36 PM)
I remember the term from the 70's and soon found out that real car guys didnt use that term, only ones who were wannabee car guys would say that. Real car guys would tell you the lift and duration of the cam they installed in their car. I just find it funny when someone uses that term, I think "Yeah, like you have any clue what is in your car" screwy.gif

I don't think so. The first hot cam I put in a VW motor, in the mid-late 60's, was a Crower 30-30 grind. Crower offered a 10-10 (mild) 20-20 (street comp) 30-30 (3/4 race) and 40-40 (full race) and that's how they were described for all cars, not just the VW's. And I remember the term from the 50's being used by real car guys, so maybe later the term "3/4 race" marked you as a wannabe, but not back then. It was just kind of a generic classification, so you didn't have to cite all the specs from the cam card. If you even got a cam card. Things have changed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.