Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smog stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
next question... smile.gif

Since I have the engine out of the car, I wnt to get rid of all the junk that I don't need.

It has all the power robbing CA smog stuff, as well as the smog stuff that came standard on a 1976 914. I'd like to take as much of it off as I can. As it is, a lot of it was unhooked, but still bolted to the engine. However, the engine was not running (wire harness is burned at the coil ar15.gif) so I don't know what is needed to keep the engine going and what is not.

Also, is there any benefit to going to a K&N filter off a PVC elbow (like what *gasp* AA sells)? It looks dead easy to make, and I think someone on this board had made them.

Zach
Mueller
get a better exhaust (see your other thread)

only power robbing device (besides your exhaust) is the drag of the smog pump, not sure if you can legally remove it or not in your state, if so, take it off and put it in a safe place in case the smog laws change.

for the smog ports in the heads, you can leave the air injectors in as long as you plug it one way or another. most people remove the air injectors and plug them individually...do a search for the many methods.

the exhaust on you year car is the main culprit, the smog stuff is not that big of a deal, a little extra weight if anything...
Tobra
I think the '76 had an EGR setup as well, which if I understand it correctly, recycles your exhaust into the intake, which always seemed like a terrible idea to me.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (Tobra @ Dec 3 2005, 07:32 PM)
I think the '76 had an EGR setup as well, which if I understand it correctly, recycles your exhaust into the intake, which always seemed like a terrible idea to me.

Yes it does. But one of the POs for that car had that system capped off.

I thought that sounded like a horrible idea myself.

Zach
shelby/914
PO of my car capped off the air injectors with copper pipe caps and JB Weld. Don't do it, next owner may need them again to pass smog.
bmcwilli
While we're talking smog legal...

I can't believe it,but our NC politicians did a woderful thing this year.

Our old law....1974 and older exempt from smog check; no rolling 30 year or any such thing.

We all know what a PITA the tailpipe test is, even with a modern, properly tuned and running car.

Because of all the tailpipe problems, NC now smogs only cars that have OBD-II; that means NC only smogs cars 1996 and newer. They plug a scanner into the OBD port, and if there are no codes set..YOU PASS.....

boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

And if the car is older than '96, it just has to look right, ie no loose vacuuum hoses or obvious things plugged up. NC inspection stations are privately owned and do not use engine diagrams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.