Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel plan for Long Term Storage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I think the topic and poll pretty much says it all.

Assume "long term storage" is at least 6 months, possibly 12. Car will be stored indoors, but not climate controlled.

What say the collective?

-Rusty smoke.gif
tryan
todays gas sucks. gooy , gummy varnish is so much fun.

leave the system empty if you are going to go a year. work the floats before you fire her back up.
Slowpoke
Make friends with a pilot. Get him to get you ten gals of avgas. Dump it in the tank. drive around for a while top off the tank at a gas station and park it. Avgas nevers goes bad. I would not leave a fuel system dry, to many problems when you bring it back to life. Oh yeah, you didn't hear this from me, but avgas is not legal for use in anything other than an aircraft. cool_shades.gif
Brad Roberts
Use Stabil or Avgas.

Now where you going ??

B
Lawrence
IMHO, I think it's best to leave gas in the following places:

1. Fuel tank, to inhibit rust.
2. Fuel pump, to avoid siezing up.

So to keep the gas good, avgas or Stabil (more likely for those without access to avgas).

But after that? The carbs could go either way for me. In the past, I've left them full. The first 200 miles were a bit choppy. First tank of gas to get rid of Stabil, and second with Techron additive - then it ran better.

I wonder if simply draining them would have kept everything cleaner (no evaporated residue).
J P Stein
Get the gas out of the carbs. ....just my opinion.
I've never stored a whole car for a year, but carbs/motors, yes.

Also, new oil in the motor. Your old oil (and mine) is contaminated with gas.
tdgray
I have done both leave in with stabil and drain entire system on my MGA. The year I stored dry all the seals in the carbs were gone, the jets were stuck and the lines rotted. DO NOT EMPTY the fuel system. It is meant to have gas in it. Put in Stabil then run for about 20 miles and park it. When getting back out drain gas from tank replace with fresh, change oil and have fun.... my yearly ritual. ( this is Ohio where of course we can only drive our convertibles five months out of the year mad.gif ).

Oh yea use the drained gas in your snowblower or lawn mower.... Oh forgot you guys on left coast don't have snowblowers mad.gif

Hope this helped in any way.

Todd
1960 MGA
1973 914 1.7L
Brad Roberts
Whats a snow blower ?? I have never ridden a SnowMobile either...LOL

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.