Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nick
I spent today installing new rear wheel bearings and that went OK I think. I left the swing arm on the car and just unbolted the rear brake calipers, but left all the lines connected. I backed out of the garage and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. Pumping didn't seem to help. I can see no leaks and the brake fluid is full. I lift the car off the ground again and had a helper step on the brakes. all the wheels locked to the point I couldn't turn them by hand. I guess the question is what should I look at next?

Nick
ClayPerrine
Two things...

1. check the venting clearance on the rear pads.

2. Bleed the brakes.
Nick
I should have added brakes are off and 80's 911 so I think there are no venting clearance issues. As for Bleeding I'll give that a try, but the brakes felt great on the last trip. I'm guess it is a Master Cylinder failure, but would like to do some trouble shooting before I order a new one.

Nick
Eric_Shea
If you suspect a M/C you should check the floor around your pedal assembly. Any failure will probably show up there.
Bleyseng
agree.gif

you'll see a puddle of fluid .
Dave_Darling
To fit the calipers back over the rotors, you did have to push the brake pads back in a little ways, right?

That first press of the pedal pushed the pads against the rotor. It's perfectly normal, and is the reason that you always pump the pedal a time or two after you do any brake work.

--DD
Nick
Pumped the brakes like crazy and it doesn't help at all.

Nick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.