Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strange noise?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
Just lately, I have been hearing a fairly loud klunk accuring I think from the right rear side of the car. It seems to mostly happen when I am turing left from a stop when I shift out of 1st and into 2nd. Any ideas of what could this noise could be?
grasshopper
wheel bearing?? confused24.gif
SirAndy
- rubber motor mounts broke

- rear sway bar droplink popped off (if you have one)

- battery loose and flopping around

- CV joint is toast

confused24.gif Andy
Flat VW
"Sounds" like what may have happened to me, my bet---- trailing arm bushing ----

John

P.S. I had "control arm bushing" typed at first, please forgive me, I'm a little "punchy" {looked wrong when I first typed it, knew what I "meant" though...}.

I have been working in the garage and cooking all day in preparation for Shaggy's engine party tomorrow.

Shaggy's eighteenth birthday and engine party

John

P.S. control arm, trailing arm....., it all the same thing..... screwy.gif
r_towle
what's in the trunk???

Rich
mightyohm
I agree with all the responses so far.

My favorite guesses are:

1. engine mounts - apply parking brake, have someone watch top of engine while you slip the clutch out in 1st gear (watch out car doesn't go anywhere) if the engine moves more than an inch or two the mounts are shot.

2. CV joints - i had this happen. check for rotational slop in the joints and binding. excessive in-out play makes them suspect also but it's hard to know what too much is unless one side is very different than the other.

3. control arm bushings bad - jack up that corner of the car, use jackstands. grab the wheel and push/pull it with all your strenth. make sure it doesn't move and there are no clunks!

Bleyseng
rear control arm mounting hole in the suspension consol is outta round so its clunking......... popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
popcorn[1].gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 3 2005, 05:27 PM)
what's in the trunk???

Rich

Yes Rich,

An extra control arm bushing rolling around in the trunk!

John

P.S. see above screwy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.