Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CD player in racecar ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, i'm planning to get quite a lot of track-seat-time next year ...

DE and TT and such ...

listening to "Gluecifer - Head to Head Boredom" i can't help myself thinking that if i had those guys blasting at me while i'm turning corners at laguna it would certainly get me more "motivated/aggressive/in the *right* mood" ...

any objections to running a *race* (sort of anyways) car with a CD player blaring at 'ya?

rules? courtesy? annoying? obnoxious? generally a bad idea? if so why?

aktion035.gif Andy
Racing916
it weighs to much biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Racing916 @ Dec 3 2005, 07:31 PM)
it weighs to much biggrin.gif

ok, besides the obvious *enormous* weight disadvantage ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
seanery
You won't even notice it's on. On a real track you'll be concentrating so much you won't even hear it. I'd say a big NO. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 3 2005, 07:37 PM)
You won't even notice it's on. On a real track you'll be concentrating so much you won't even hear it. I'd say a big NO. smile.gif

naaaa, i've been in loud cars (like mine), the right music and lots of volume will work wonders.

seriously, i think the right music could actually help me driving.

in a stimulating kind of way ...
yeah baby! aktion035.gif Andy
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

The only thing that may come into play given the level of noise in the car from open windows at 100+MPH and the music is that you may "miss" the sound of something your car is telling you (i.e. brake noise, engine noise, gearbox sounds, etc.)

For example, my Webers would get a different sound to them as the filters got dirty. At Buttonwillow during a hot, dusty day, I found that they would tell me "clean me...clean me" just from their sound.

Sounds silly, but I want to hear what my car is saying to me on the track.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Dec 3 2005, 08:00 PM)
Sounds silly, but I want to hear what my car is saying to me on the track.... laugh.gif

hmmmm, not silly at all, actually ...

question is: do i care about stuff that brakes while im running ???
idea.gif Andy
r_towle
Andy...BTDT, get an mp3 player...it wont skip....when it skips, you loose the rhythm....that sucks...

MP3 all the way...

And if you wanna really have fun, wire it to you helmet ala motorcycle headphones...there are nice systems out there for helmet headphones...

Rich
McMark
Go for it. You can always pull it out again later.
SirAndy
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 3 2005, 08:18 PM)
MP3 all the way...

yes, makes perfect sense. MP3, no skipping!

so any rules that would prevent me from playing music while i run?
boldblue.gif Andy
r_towle
I get asked to turn it down at the starting grid ...thats all I have heard so far....

Rich
SLITS
There once was a guy in a SS 510 who constantly played music while driving........

He also ran last in every race
porschecb
Add A DVR.DVD & rear mounted camera so you watch your engine explode! That way you can watch a movie since you cant hear your RPM! But wait you have A tach? ( this whole thread is just Wrong!) wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif
ArtechnikA
you've been watching too many "Iron Eagle" reruns...

the rhythm of the music will never be what you need.
if you can hear it, you're not working hard enough.
you need no additional distractions.

there are courses with long enough straigjhts that you can relax a moment and you might be able to let the sound in then. you'll get into it just in time to miss the braking zone at the end of the straight.

do it if you want - but IMO it can't possibly help you.
McMark
You need to control the playback speed and tie it into the speedo. The faster you go, the faster the music plays! aktion035.gif
SirAndy
maybe i'm completely off base here (wouldn't be the first time) but i don't see it as a distraction ...

i can feel the engine rpm's, it certainly would be a mix of engine noise and music at high rpms, but i "know" what rpm i'm at, i ran without a tach for the longest time, no problems shifting at the right point, never have to look at the tach anyways.
not just the sound, more like the vibrations. can't explain it, i just know where the engine is at.

no need to "sync" the music with the engine or something like that, i just think a good, agressive tune would push me a bit harder while i'm driving on the edge.

none of this is completely new to me. i've been on the track before, with fairly good results i might add.
i don't have to concentrate on driving much, stuff just "happens". i don't have to think about it.

i don't know, i barely even hold on to the steering wheel, i usally just let the car do the driving ...
(instructors worst nightmare as i let go of the steering wheel completely after a tight corner and let it straight itself out, always gets their attention! rolleyes.gif )

but i'm certainly no "walter röhrl" or "mario andretti" (and never will be) ...

guess i'm just nuts!
screwy.gif Andy
McMark
Do it! biggrin.gif
Oliver
What are you going to play ? Black metal aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Oliver @ Dec 3 2005, 10:07 PM)
What are you going to play ? Black metal aktion035.gif

something along those lines ...

good old amurican hardcore punk-rock ...
Gluecifer - Gods Chosen Dealer

aktion035.gif Andy
xitspd
aktion035.gif I like to start each event with a little mood music! Sets the tone! Once you are on the track hot, your adrenalin will take over and you don't realize you can not hear the music anymore....................... I like it....
xitspd
hijacked.gif By the way, congrates on the 3.6. You are really going to enjoy it!
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 3 2005, 08:17 PM)
idea.gif Andy

knowing how intelligent you are, it shocks me to see that has got to be one of the dumbest questions I've seen you ask biggrin.gif laugh.gif

"hearing" something going wrong can be the differance between life and death...for you and others on the track wacko.gif
Mr.C
I have in my minds eye Andy in spandex, ice skates, mohawk and a green tongue spinning around to the beat with Miles lifted in the air. It's my over active imagination screwy.gif I'm sorry, but when I read the question that's the first thing that popped into my head.... happy11.gif
Thorshammer
When I used to autocross back in the 80's I used to play Flight of the Valkyries at full volume for the first run. It was funny as hell and it lightened the mood. I think keeping it fun is needed these days. Many people make this too serious.

Another time while racing motorcycles, I lost a bet, and had to wear a stuffed bra and panties over my leather race suit for the race. I won, and the podium picture is still on my mantle. Experiences like these define us. So i say yes, install the CD player, but make sure it can be heard while you are driving, and share.

Erik Madsen
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 4 2005, 10:12 AM)
knowing how intelligent you are, it shocks me to see that has got to be one of the dumbest questions I've seen you ask

thanks for the fish ... cool_shades.gif

i was joking (about stuff braking), of course!
rolleyes.gif Andy
nine14cats
happy11.gif
Lou W
Deaf people can drive race cars right? It's probably ok to listen to loud music when you drive. driving.gif
Crazyhippy
I'd say no while under green...

Perfect for yellow flag laps though biggrin.gif
SLKWrx
I don't know, call me strange, but when I'm racing, I don't want anything to pump me up, in fact, I want to be as relaxed as possible before stepping into that car. Loud, fast, angry music would make me push the car beyond what I knew it would take, losing the proper line and the proper inputs in the effort to keep the pedal mashed.

I mean, to each their own, some guys listen to classical, some to rock, I listen to the engine, that song is sweet enough for me. I leave the job of getting me pumped to the feeling of taking a turn at just the right speed and angle
jonwatts
You could be our very own version of Top Gear's "The Stig" as I recall he used to listen to (pretty bad) music while driving on the show.

Plus, don't you also drive your car on the street? Nothing wrong with installing the CD player for street driving and then trying it out on the track.

I'd say no while under green...

Perfect for yellow flag laps though

I disagree, you don't want drivers getting agressive during a caution (which is what Andy's music is for). Caution music is more like this.

biggrin.gif

PS - On the negative side, when I used to fly (read: putz around in a 152) I met some pilots who had CD players installed in their aircraft for longer flights. Turning down the air traffic control radio while in flight just seemed wrong. It's like flying (or driving) with blinders on.
boxstr
Cupholders...Tom Tom...Auto John...CD Player...sure why not.
CCLISEMA2005
Dr. Roger
the Germans didn't start putting cup holders in their BMW's until the Americans asked. Autobahn takes too much concentration... Few drive throughs either. Smart Germans.

Analogy? wink.gif biggrin.gif

Roger

PS. I used to get pumped up with B-52's before biathalons. Nothing during. I needed to "zen out" on my own breathing/pace during a race. Get relaxed in my own skin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.