Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hosing the 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
headbang.gif This has been one frustrating day. I've been trying build -16 braided stainless hose today. I built -12 with no problem but this -16 is at a whole 'nother level. I'm using Earl's Perform-o-Flex hose and Swivel Seal hose ends. I can't the -16 to go together without backing out of the socket 1/4" or so. I understand that 1/16" is the max the hose should back out of the socket by the time you've got the socket tightened down.

Anybody tips for put the hose ends on -16? I'd heard that it could be difficult but sheesh.

wacko.gif
Starting to go nuts...
Kevin
wacko.gif
SLITS
put a little lubricant (oil) on the blue part that goes inside the hose.

I know, they say not to, but I did it for 15 years and never had one come apart.
Trekkor
Yep, lube. I used wheel bearing grease on the threads.

Put the hose end a vise with the fitting wrapped in a rag if you can.

KT
joea9146
Do you have the vice Jaw clamps for holding the hose whil u put it together...
Also like Mentioned lub the threads

736conver
How are you currently putting it together. I put mine in a vise as mention and had no problem.
kdfoust
Yeah, I'm using lubricant, heavy oil. I'm also using anti-sieze on the threads. I think I'm going to try using some nice high pressure grease on the cutter to see if that helps today. If not I'm gonna drop the hose and fittings off someplace that can do it. I've got too much to do to spend all day messing around with FOUR hose ends. Sheesh. mad.gif

Later,
Kevin
J P Stein
"They" at Areoquip recommend a light weight oil on the interior of the hose & threads....and, IIRC, offer an oil for it. I use 3 in 1 oil. I have used Areoquip, Russel & Earle's. I like the Areoquip best....tho they are a PITH(hands) also.

I do a 125psi pressure test on all....soap & water on the joints....look for bubbles. You'll prolly notice if the fitting blows off biggrin.gif Made a little test rig....cheep. Gud insurance.
None have failed, but I keep doing it nohow.
campbellcj
I haven't assembled any -16's but ditto the above re. the thread lube and also I found having the 'proper' aluminum AN vise thingies and alum AN wrenches made all the difference, although it's still a patience trying procedure.
kdfoust
So I've got a technique that seems to be working (we'll see tomorrow when I do the pressure testing). I am using Earl's assembly lube, which is a heavy oil nothing like 3in1.

Basically I follow the Earl's directions but at the last step where you're tightening the nipple and socket together I put the nipple in the vise and turn the socket while pushing like crazy on the hose and actually working the socket in the on and off direction with a wrench. The idea is to help the cutter cut by working the hose back and forth on the cutter. It seems to work since the hose didn't back out more than 1/16" when I did that. beer3.gif

Even at that it's a dang tedious task. I'll say that I'd build -12 all day before I'd want to build much more -16! I've got two fittings to go... dead horse.gif

I know what Popeye's workout must have been....assembling -16 hose for the fleet!

Later,
Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.