Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: crank end play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
How much front to back movement should I be getting on the crank? I seem to have quite alot approx. 1/16".
Cap'n Krusty
If you have that much with the flywheel installed, you're in deep doo doo, 'cause the thrust bearing is toast. If the flywheel isn't installed, you're measuring nothing. The Cap'n
toon1
the flywheel is off
bottomend
It should be .004 axial play. No more. No less.

Take two shims and put them into place on the end of the crankshaft, place FW on to crank, install bolts, then tighten the flywheel down to about half the TQ value. Maybe around 40 ft lbs.... Measure the axial movement using the little tool and your feeler guages and subtract .004. This number will be the size of the super important 3rd shim you'll need to install.

rememeber... no more than .004 movement.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (toon1 @ Dec 4 2005, 09:49 PM)
the flywheel is off

Measuring the end play is NOT possible with the flywheel off, as the flywheel determines the axial travel. Install the original shims, torque it down, and check it. The Cap'n
Mark Henry
The crusty one is right.

Factory spec new is .003 to .006, I always try for the lower number.

Bottomend's method is sound, but since it's rare to find an shim the exact size you need, I often do the math on all the shims to get it just right.

You do all of this before you install the main seal AND new flywheel O-ring.
bottomend
Oh yea and I'd add that you SHOULD measure the shims too. I've seen them be quite a bit off from what they are marked as. You can use a digital caliper guage to do this very easily.
Garland

You do all of this before you install the main seal AND new flywheel O-ring.
[/quote]

I just installed my seals before I read this.... are you saying I can get a correct reading now?
LvSteveH
You just risk damaging the rear main seal by taking the flywheel on and off again. Try a little high temp grease on the seal and flywheel mounting surface. That will minimize the chances of damaging the seal. As mentioned, the shims come in different thicknesses, so pick a thicker one, and two mediums and give it a go. If the engine already had a set of shims, try those first. Chances are it will be close. Or you can of course just use two shims and calculate the difference as mentioned above, but then you are pretty much assured that you'll have to pull the flywheel back off. Not the end of the world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.