Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All MPS are not the same
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Be careful of what MPSs you might find...they are not all good to harvest parts from. One of our own sent me this one which does not have a diaphragm or even a place for a diaphragm!

biggrin.gif

JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
The rear coil section seems to be similar enough to our MPSs, but thats where the similarities end. The aneroid cell has a fixed threaded allen key adjustment whcih only gives 0.004 Inductance adjustment, not sufficient for our needs. dry.gif
SirAndy
WTF.gif
lapuwali
The '68 Type 3 was, as far as I know, the first production car to get D-Jet. They were really learning with this setup, and changed it fairly substantially each year until '71, when they seemed to get it about right. I have a '69 Squareback, and the system is similar to, but still quite different from, the 914 D-Jet. The '71 Type 3 system is very like the 914 setup.

Bleyseng
early Type 3 mps doesnt use a diaphram but had a WOT switch for adjustment. I had a 69 fastback years ago.
smg914
Do any of you guys know which early VW this NOS AAR is for? I bought it off of ebay a few years ago thinking it could be used for a D-Jet 914 but the hose connections are quite a bit smaller than the ones for a 914. Angled slightly different too.

Part Number 0 280 140 005 or VW Part Number 311 906 045
smg914
Comparing the VW AAR to the 914 AAR.
smg914
Oh by the way, how do you like my French Manicure?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (smg914 @ Dec 5 2005, 11:25 AM)
Do any of you guys know which early VW this NOS AAR is for? I bought it off of ebay a few years ago thinking it could be used for a D-Jet 914 but the hose connections are quite a bit smaller than the ones for a 914. Angled slightly different too.

Part Number 0 280 140 005 or VW Part Number 311 906 045

The T3 part number should give you a clue ....................... The Cap'n
smg914
Thanks Cap'n. I think I'll just resell this part on ebay but I'll advertise it for a Type-3 VW and not for the 914 like the previous seller did.
lapuwali
Late Type 3 ('70-'73). The '68-'69 AAR was very different, as it used oil temp to close and wasn't electrically heated. That may, in fact, be the unit for the Type 3 automatic, which used a different AAR than the manual cars.
smg914
Thanks James. This type of detail will help me describe it when I list it on ebay.
RustyWa
QUOTE (smg914 @ Dec 5 2005, 12:28 PM)
Oh by the way, how do you like my French Manicure?

Daddy like!
Demick
Jeff

When I bought my car, it came with that exact same MPS. It was tweaked to run with a 2056. I never took it apart and never knew that it didn't have a diaphragm. I always had wondered why there was only the one adjustment screw in the end. Anyway, my engine ran great with it for many years until I started fiddling with other MPS's and custom tuned one for my engine. I have the inductance curve for it somewhere in my files.

Anyway, interesting that you took it apart and found that it is quite different inside from the type used on our motors.

Demick
bd1308
QUOTE (Demick @ Dec 5 2005, 10:47 PM)
Jeff

When I bought my car, it came with that exact same MPS. It was tweaked to run with a 2056. I never took it apart and never knew that it didn't have a diaphragm. I always had wondered why there was only the one adjustment screw in the end. Anyway, my engine ran great with it for many years until I started fiddling with other MPS's and custom tuned one for my engine. I have the inductance curve for it somewhere in my files.

Anyway, interesting that you took it apart and found that it is quite different inside from the type used on our motors.

Demick

um....I had a stock one of these on MY car....

i think that's what killed my 2.0, along with the fuel pump....

so Jeff, just throw these guys away or what can we do with these?

b
lapuwali
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Dec 5 2005, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Demick @ Dec 5 2005, 10:47 PM)
Jeff

When I bought my car, it came with that exact same MPS.  It was tweaked to run with a 2056.  I never took it apart and never knew that it didn't have a diaphragm.  I always had wondered why there was only the one adjustment screw in the end.   Anyway, my engine ran great with it for many years until I started fiddling with other MPS's and custom tuned one for my engine.  I have the inductance curve for it somewhere in my files.  

Demick

um....I had a stock one of these on MY car....

i think that's what killed my 2.0, along with the fuel pump....

so Jeff, just throw these guys away or what can we do with these?

b

It's a Type 3 part, so sell it to a Type 3 owner. The Samba has thousands of them, and they have the same MPS problems we do as far as availability and reliability.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.