Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT posting problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Whenever I respond to a post on this forum, my computer's (new Mac G5) cooling fan is screaming. This does not ever happen anywhere else, or even when running multiple programs. Does it have something to do with the animated smilies? Is there a way to get around this? On the upside it does keep from posting long winded rants....

When I start a post like this one, it does not scream as loud, but is still running at a higher rpm than normal.

Turning off emoticons makes no difference.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Bartlett 914
That's funny.

I have a similar problem. In my case it is not the fan but the audio. I hear buzzing screaming sounds whenever there is an animated avaitar. I know it is just interference comming out of the speaker. If your fan isscreaming, replace it!

Mark
bd1308
on my G4/500, the little smilies just slow everything down....

you all are saying that the fan actually screams when you all post?

intresting

b
1bad914
The problem is your trying to compute on a fruit! biggrin.gif Just having some fun. My cooling fan on my laptop is dying for the second time in a year. It sounds like an F-16 spooling up. John, you could have a similar problem?????
John Kelly
This is the only place it happens so I don't think it is something wrong with my computer. I post on 12 forums, never happens elswhere. To be clear, the fan is not actually screaming...just going at a very high rpm....and wouldn't you know it, the rpms are pretty low right now....

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
sj914
hmmm.... I get the same thing when my anti-virus runs a check of the HD. I couldn't imagine a G5 using that much proccessor on an itty bitty emoticon.

Typing all this on a g4 titanium powerbook
Gint
QUOTE (John Kelly @ Dec 5 2005, 07:00 AM)
Does it have something to do with the animated smilies?

{CUT}

Turning off emoticons makes no difference.

That's pretty funny actually. But I think you answered your own question.
gfulcher
Hey dude...

You might need to update the firmware - My dual 2.5 G5 had a problem about a year ago when it would fluctuate the fan speeds at seemingly random times. I'm an editor - so it makes sense occasionally when rendering video, but even then - it's barely detectable.

Also, try the usual array of fixes: repair permissions, zap PRAM.. I've heard of some people just logging in to the machine via command line, and then exiting and that fixes it.

I agree though - emoticons are perhaps the most abnoxious "feature" of the web. That, and all of the LOL, ROTF, LMAO, IMHO crap. But, this isn't the forum for that kinda complaint!

To add some 914 content, my car is sleeping peacefully for the long winter ahead in a heated garage - dammit. Snow is early this year.

good luck - email me if you have any other G5 questions...

-greg-
bd1308
what about G3 questions?

i wanna knwo where i can find a cheap logic board for my powerbook g3

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (gfulcher @ Dec 5 2005, 06:18 PM)
emoticons are perhaps the most abnoxious "feature" of the web. That, and all of the LOL, ROTF, LMAO, IMHO crap.

av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.