Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 25 Hrs. of Thunderhill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
I made back last night after working as crew chief on the #35 SSF Auto Parts BMW M3 Lightweight and what an experience it was!

We finished 2nd overall, which considering the circumstances wasn't bad. We arrived to compete in EO which is the 2nd fastest class. It wasn't until 1/2 hr. into the race that we were told we had been moved up to ES which is the unlimited class and allows for racing slicks (didn't have), could change more than one tire per stop (didn't bring the equipment), and could use a refulling rig adding as much fuel as needed (in the shop because EO you can only add 10 gal/stop and have to use cans). By the way, the only difference between a Lightweight M3 and a regular M3 is 50 lbs.

So we made the best of the situation. In the morning we found ourselves 1 lap down on the leading 911. Unfortunately we lost 3 more laps when we had to change four tires and front brake pads with 2 1/2 hours to go. We were able to make up one of those laps, but there wasn't enough time left on the clock. We finished in 2nd overall, three laps down. The funny thing is, if we had been allowed to compete in our original class, we would have won that by 50 laps!!

It was long, tiring, and a great experience - here are some pictues
jgara962
On the starting grid
jgara962
After 11 hours of darkness, I was soooo happy to finally see daylight. biggrin.gif
jgara962
Coming down pitlane for the final time.
jgara962
Team photo
jgara962
I have to say that the Brad's Mindover Motorsports team car was awesome! They were killing everyone until they had to pull the car in for a transmition issue (I heard?). During practice I got a chance to watch the car from the end of the front straight, and it was unbelievable how fast that car was. Plus it sounded really cool.
Britain Smith
Yea, the Mind over Motorsports team was doing really well until the car go stuck in 5th. This is the same issue that they have been fight with for a while now and they had the tranny rebuilt to supposedly fix it. Brad told me that the motor in there is a stock 3.6 with RS cams.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.