Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-Key the door locks..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I need to get my doors to the point where they'll lock since I'm about to start driving it to work on the daily. What and how much biggrin.gif

Doug C
Series9
Pull out your lock cylinders, put them in an appropriate shipping box and send them to either Joe Sharp in CA or Scott Thacher in MD.

Beer pays Scott
Casadores pays Joe

biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Here is my cheap and easy method.

Remove the door handle assembly. Insert a key in the lock and remove the cylinder from the assembly (the key holds the pins in place so they don't fly away).
With the correct key in the cylinder all of the pins will be flush with the outside. With the wrong key some will stick up beyond the cylinder. Using the wrong key (soon to be the new key), I simply use a Dremel or file and grind them down flush. Now the "wrong" key is the "right" key. I do the same with the other cylinders. I usually match all locks to the ignition key because the ignition lock is the most difficult to change. The others are easy.
You end up with a less secure but functional lock. Frankly, door locks are only intended to discourage entry anyway. They won't prevent it.
markb
I'll also re-key. I usually try to barter parts.
dlo914
QUOTE (markb @ Dec 5 2005, 11:32 AM)
I'll also re-key. I usually try to barter parts.

first hand experience. Mark is a great guy to work with! :insert thumbs-up smilie:
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 5 2005, 12:24 PM)

Remove the door handle assembly. Insert a key in the lock and remove the cylinder from the assembly (the key holds the pins in place so they don't fly away).
With the correct key in the cylinder all of the pins will be flush with the outside. With the wrong key some will stick up beyond the cylinder. Using the wrong key (soon to be the new key), I simply use a Dremel or file and grind them down flush. Now the "wrong" key is the "right" key. I do the same with the other cylinders. I usually match all locks to the ignition key because the ignition lock is the most difficult to change. The others are easy.
You end up with a less secure but functional lock. Frankly, door locks are only intended to discourage entry anyway. They won't prevent it.

wow. never thought of that.

thanks for that tip. i will do that.... less secure, but still lockable
markb
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 5 2005, 11:24 AM)

With the correct key in the cylinder all of the pins will be flush with the outside. With the wrong key some will stick up beyond the cylinder. Using the wrong key (soon to be the new key), I simply use a Dremel or file and grind them down flush.

I usually match all locks to the ignition key because the ignition lock is the most difficult to change. The others are easy.

Before you start filing things down, switch around the wafers that stick up. Many times you just need to rearrange the wafers. File/dremel as a last resort.

Matching to the ignition would probably be best.
DougC
I think I'll try it too. Thanks for the tip(s) guys.. if it doesn't work out I'll send them off. My ignition key is more worn than I'd like so I may use another key though.

Doug C
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DougC @ Dec 5 2005, 03:47 PM)
My ignition key is more worn than I'd like so I may use another key though.

Doug C

my gramps taught me this trick....

find someone with the old style key grinding machines.... (where you it follows the grooves of the master key....you know, the ones that homeboy at home depot CANT work smile.gif )

wrap the key with aluminum foil, and use it to "build" up the ridges of the key (where it was worn down from use)

usually takes a couple of revisions by the locksmith, but once it is perfect, its like a new key.

dont just grind a copy of the worn out one ya got....
markb
If you'd like to use the same ignition key, pull your ignition switch, and see if there are numbers on it. If so, take to a locksmith & he'll cut you a new key (inexpensively) using those numbers. Then use the new key to re-key the other locks. Kind of a pain, but works.

Oh, yeah, once you have that brand spankin' new key, have copies made & put the new key away somewhere, so if you need copies in the future, you have a nice key to copy from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.