Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BatAc
It's been awhile since the throttle cable has been disconnected.....the Haynes book is useless.....does anyone have a reasonable image to show how the throttle cable hooks up (it's a 1.8, if that matters)...some say barrel nut , but there never was one????
rjames
I just bought a new one to replace mine, I'd be interested in any tips y'all have for installing it (with minimal frustration, of course) cool.gif
r_towle
which end of the cable is the problem?

Rich
BatAc
The part up on top of the engine with the spring....does that help???
Allan
What kind of injection? Carbs?
BatAc
original fuel inj
Allan
QUOTE (BatAc @ Dec 7 2005, 07:21 PM)
original fuel inj

1.7, 2.0?
type47
the end of the cable should be a long "stick" (? to describe it) that a barrel nut clamps to, to keep the cable in the throttle lever.
Aaron Cox
like dis...
user posted image
rjames
Is there a farily easy way to replace the cable itself? The Haynes manual just shows how to remove the end at the gas pedal, and then says to pull it out "from the rear". Could I 'tie' the new cable to the old one, so that when I pull it through the housing I will have 'threaded' the new cable in, leaving me to only have to fasten both ends on? (One at the pedal, and one end at the throttle.)

Also, I have to do some cleaning on the throttle body on my car- is there a way I can take the whole thing off and be able to re-use the main rubber gasket that surrounds the throttle body housing?
toon1
Just replaced mine on a 73. pull the old one out, slide a new one in. It goes back through the tube easily. Be carefull not to get it wrapped around the clutch cable on the pedal asssemb. end.

Not sure about a 1.8 air box but on a 1.7 there are two case bolts that nee to be removed to free it up
Joe Ricard
On my 70 car the plastic sheath was stuck to the walls of the tube. ended up managing to pull the cable out and then used a wood dowel to push the VERY stuborn plastic tube out.
New unit went right in.
rjames
I should have added that mine is a '75 2.0. But Will assume that it's pretty much the same in this department. There haven't been many jobs I've wanted to peform on the car during this time of year (damn, it's cold in the garage...) but I think this is one I can manage to do before frostbite sets in. wink.gif

Cool- thanks for the help!

~Robert
r_towle
throttle cable comes up from below the engine through the passenger side cylinder head tin.
there is a hole close to the firewall that the throttle cable fits up through, remember the grommet.

From there, it runs diagonally straight towards the throttle body. It gets bolted down to the plenum in a notch so the body of the cable does not move...that is what the threaded end it for.

From there the male end of the cable fits into the barrel nut shown above which is in the throttle body housing arm.

there is a spring return that goes to the engine sheetmetal on the tranny...there is a small hole...

Rich
rjames
Actually the engine side of things I think I'm good with. It was more the
pedal area, and how it threads back to behind the pedal. In otherwords, do I thread it back in from the engine side, or from the pedal end of things.

I'm sure it will be clear once I pull the other one out though.

markb
QUOTE (rjames @ Dec 19 2005, 09:38 AM)
Could I 'tie' the new cable to the old one, so that when I pull it through the housing I will have 'threaded' the new cable in, leaving me to only have to fasten both ends on? (One at the pedal, and one end at the throttle.)

Close. The easy way with all of the cables is to tie a string to the interior end of the cable, pull the cable out of the tube (towards the rear of the car). Tie the string to the new cable. Pull the new cable into the interior of the car. Hook up both ends. This presupposes that the original cable was installed correctly.
IronHillRestorations
Remove the access panel right of the accel pedal, and using a thin 8mm ignition wrench, snap the ball cup end off the bell crank, remove the ball cup end and jamb nut (otherwise the cable won't pull back through the tube), and the famous words from the Haynes manual "assembly is reverse of dissasembly" biggrin.gif

I always check the cable with an inspection mirror and flashlight (through the access panel) to make sure it didn't go someplace it shouldn't (wrapped around the clutch cable).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.